Who believes in the OT?

I take it word for word given that a couple of things were lost in translation and that the people who put the pen to the paper didn't have the understanding of the physical world that we do now. For example:

I don't think God made the world in 6, 24 hour days. 6 of something, but not 24 hour days. I guess they just didn't have a word for 'era' or 'eon' back then.

I don't think the Nile River turned to blood. I think it appeared to, though.

There are a couple of others, but I can't think of them. Most of the stuff I firmly believe is true as written, though.

I believe it is literally true, within the context of the text and history. Because I believe it is God's word, as given to men. And I believe that there is enough historical evidence to corroborate its truth.

While there may be a few things "lost in translation", I believe the world was created as the Bible states.

It does not however, give a time frame on some things such as to how long Adam & Eve lived in the Garden before they sinned, nor how old Cain & Abel were when Cain killed his brother. But Cain fled to the land of Nod and the inhabitants were not to touch Cain....so the world had to have existed for more than a mere few years. Cain & Abel were not children.

But if you are a Bible believer, how could you not believe in the Old Testament? The New fulfills the Old, it does NOT negate it.

dmp said:
Because it's true, word for word. :)

So you would advocate capital punishment for disobedient children?

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

acludem

acludem said:
So you would advocate capital punishment for disobedient children?

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

acludem

Context.

How is context going to change the sentence: All who curse their mother and father be put to death. ? How? This plainly says if you curse your parents you get killed, show me the context that in anyway changes this. Is someone other than God giving this command? Does got smite he down who giveth this command?

acludem

acludem said:
How is context going to change the sentence: All who curse their mother and father be put to death. ? How? This plainly says if you curse your parents you get killed, show me the context that in anyway changes this. Is someone other than God giving this command? Does got smite he down who giveth this command?

acludem

The context changes the sentence because it provides a frame of reference; it tells us to whom God was speaking - if that WAS God speaking. Context is everything. That's really a 8th Grade English Class lesson - I'm surprised you didn't know that.

I understand what context is. But in this case, context will not change the meaning of the words. If it does, post the context.

acludem

acludem said:
I understand what context is. But in this case, context will not change the meaning of the words. If it does, post the context.

acludem

You're the one who pulled verses out of your ass and demand to know their meaning. You're asking above and beyond the scope of the question which started this thread.

I answered "The OT is true, word for word" - I did NOT answer "Every command ever told by God is applicable to EVERYONE to this Day."

acludem said:

acludem

a) It was in a list of long outdated laws that were rendered obselete by the coming of Christ.

b) There are many nuances to the Hebrew language that cannot be fit into an English translation. If I remember correctly, the word used for 'strike' referred to a very deliberate, intentional act of assault, not just a reflexive action. To commit this crime, one would have to intentionally assault his parents with full intent to injure or kill to invoke the death penalty. In Hebrew culture, there was no such thing as imprisonment and the authority of parents was second only to the authority of God. That's why it was a capital offense.

The context was the set of laws for the ancient nation of Israel. That nation has changed and been scattered; it no longer exists. However, it is still WRONG to dishonor one's parents.

Hobbit said:
a) It was in a list of long outdated laws that were rendered obselete by the coming of Christ.

b) There are many nuances to the Hebrew language that cannot be fit into an English translation. If I remember correctly, the word used for 'strike' referred to a very deliberate, intentional act of assault, not just a reflexive action. To commit this crime, one would have to intentionally assault his parents with full intent to injure or kill to invoke the death penalty. In Hebrew culture, there was no such thing as imprisonment and the authority of parents was second only to the authority of God. That's why it was a capital offense.

In the NIV, it is rendered "attack." And it comes within a list of offenses such as striking a man & killing him, scheming and killing a man deliberately, kidnaping, etc.

Mr.Conley said:
Here's my question, how could Adam and Eve be thed sole progenators of the entire human race without massive, incest-induced, species-crippling, genetic flaws?
Mutations accumulate in the genome over time. The original people were flawless.

Hobbit said:

This is what really confuses me. Are you saying that the “10 Commandments” no longer apply? What about all of the other instructions? Do they matter? What rules are Christians to follow? It seems like a convenient out for so-called Christians. Okay. So we don’t need to be guided by the Old Testament, but we should still follow the each sentence of advice given in the New Testament – right?

mattskramer said:
This is what really confuses me. Are you saying that the “10 Commandments” no longer apply? What about all of the other instructions? Do they matter? What rules are Christians to follow? It seems like a convenient out for so-called Christians. Okay. So we don’t need to be guided by the Old Testament, but we should still follow the each sentence of advice given in the New Testament – right?

Read---Jesus answered this when the disciples asked him the same question.
He also stated very clearly what the most important things Christians should do. What easy way out??? Everyone goes out the same way--death.

Forum List

Back