Who are your favorite voices in music ?

Voices...I missed that in the topic heading....geez. Okay, vocals only definitely these guys need to be given a shout out for vocals. The well-known song, Hallelujah, has been done by many a band. This version, imho, is the best version ever heard hands-down. The last guy who sings 4th blows me away, Kurt Nilsen of Norway and a former World Idol winner. That guy who goes third also has a uniquely raspy voice sounding a bit like a younger Joe Cocker and quite good too.

Personally, I like a wide variety of music genres, so I'll just go with a few of my favorite rock n roll singers.
There are plenty of great singers but not many have something special to say. Using that criteria I have to go with Bob Dylan as my #1. Another favorite is Jethro Tull.

ELLA.
Not so much for the timbre of her voice but for what she could do with it scatting improvised melodies. When Ella got started there wasn't a soloist on ANY instrument who could match her. About 1:40 here....

Sweeping glissandos, Portuguese. Buzzing sounds. Pentatonic scales. Every breath used to max potential.

Renee Fleming, Leontyne Price -- There talent maybe every day to some .But for this fellow who grew up in the rural area of Florida it is an amazing thing to hear.

Male vocalist- Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Frankie Lane, Johnny Mathis, Jim Croce. A lot of others :cool:

Renee Fleming, Leontyne Price -- There talent maybe every day to some .But for this fellow who grew up in the rural area of Florida it is an amazing thing to hear.

I noticed you have trouble posting videos. Here ya go

Just copy the YouTube (or whatever site) link, look under that middle drop-down that looks like an ellipsis (...), choose "Media" and paste the URL in there.

Don't use the video-camera button, that's for uploading your own video. Hope this helps.

Voices...I missed that in the topic heading....geez. Okay, vocals only definitely these guys need to be given a shout out for vocals. The well-known song, Hallelujah, has been done by many a band. This version, imho, is the best version ever heard hands-down. The last guy who sings 4th blows me away, Kurt Nilsen of Norway and a former World Idol winner. That guy who goes third also has a uniquely raspy voice sounding a bit like a younger Joe Cocker and quite good too.

I like the Jeff Buckly version better.

Personally, I like a wide variety of music genres, so I'll just go with a few of my favorite rock n roll singers.
Paul Rodgers

Donald Fagan

Mariah Carey would be great in any genre...

I would agree with Angelo that Paul Rodgers my personal favorite and definitely one of the greatest vocalists of all time in any genre. I do much prefer his work with Free and still have all their albums.

New Topics

Forum List

Back