Who are the unemployed?

I was watching Jeopardy tonight and saw a commercial with Mitten expressing "concern" over jobs and it got me thinking.

I have five siblings, all are married, none of them or their spouses are unemployed and in fact have the same jobs they had for at least the past 10 years. I have over 30 cousins, and their spouses, who also are not unemployed and have had the same jobs for the past 10 years or more. My husband has three siblings, and they, and their spouses have had the same jobs for the past 10 years or more, with one exception: an in-law that was layed off during the Bush administration and never went back to work (an uber-conservative, btw). Five of us have our own businesses and are making a profit.

At USMB, I know of four people that have complained of being unemployed: Annie, BM, Immie, and Sallow (one lib out of four) and two business "owners" that can't make it in today's economy: GrumpyGramps and Dudball.

It seems conservatives have more trouble being gainfully employed and that doesn't bode well for personal responsibility.

:eusa_eh:

If you want to look for the unemployed workers, most seem to make their living in the construction industry where they depend on business expansion and growth. They specialize in trades, such as electricians or plumbers, some choosing to work through the union. I have been a member of a union electrician myself, and I can honestly say it only pays off while the economy is booming and businesses are spending capital for expansion. States are not spending the money, and with Obamacare and the election, businesses have been tightening their budgets and only holding onto what they already have (if they aren't already laying off workers to save on labor costs).

Now Las Vegas has been a major hot spot for electricians seeking to find an over abundance of work, however the union electricians there currently have over 1,200 on a list seeking employment. Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, D.C., West Virginia, and parts of Ohio, are just a few of the STATES I found where construction trades have had opportunities for employment closed to them. My brother took the path as a computer programmer and makes a very good living at it, earning a salary that surpasses my own. However, the company that employs him has been losing money trying to compete and is looking to close their doors in November.

Another point to consider, Connecticut (where I once lived) bases a lot of their work in that state opon a military federal budget. Groton Connecticut builds the nuclear submarines for the nation. Hartford, the state's capital, has Pratt and Whitney which is a major engine developer/builder/supplier that depends on government contracts to build fighter aircraft parts (like the F-22 stealth fighter). These aren't Chinese or Mexican workers building up our military but American workers. When the Democrats push for defense budget costs, it forces states (like Connecticut) to look to job cuts on thousands of workers that depend on them. You would be surprised to learn just how many American jobs are effected by closing a simple production line like the F-22s, and how many STATES feel the weight of a military budget crunch. Good AMERICAN jobs.

If you have never felt the hardships of a rough economy in your life, consider yourself among the lucky and appreciate what you got while you still have it.

Last edited:
uh huh.........:rolleyes:

she gave a non answer, her op is a mish mash thrown at the wall, what is this whining based on?

whined how? because OF unemployment, their unemployment or the high rates or?

failed biz? what kind? theirs, others..what?

you tell me then , she said it, I asked her....

Most of the whiners about unemployment and/or failed businesses are conservatives.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/6183720-post9.html

People can't post personal anecdotes and real life observations without angry partisans pouncing to make the same old something-out-of-nothing...?

Get a grip, lighten-up, and learn how to use the quote function properly...

where did I refer to her personal anecdotes? can you link to that please?

I asked her to clarify what drove her comments on complaints/whining etc.

again-

really? whined how? because OF unemployment, their unemployment or the high rates or?

She made an observation, it's not her fault you take everything personally. Yeah you asked a question, but she's not your barking seal... Some things are self evident.

The question is "Who are the unemployed?" Tell your story and have an adult conversation with those who do the same... OR go find another thread if you can't handle it.

FTR, you did the same thing in Jillian's friendly thread about having Thanksgiving dinner with relatives who disagree on politics where you turned it into a personal pissing match.

:piss2: Are we having fun yet...........?

Last edited:
Jobless rates down in 41 states, up in 6 in Sept; payroll jobs up in 35 states, down in 15

In September, 41 states and the District of Columbia reported over-the-month unemployment rate decreases, 6 states had increases, and 3 had no change. Nonfarm payroll employment increased in 35 states and the district and decreased in 15 states.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

she gave a non answer, her op is a mish mash thrown at the wall, what is this whining based on?

Most of the whiners about unemployment and/or failed businesses are conservatives.

People can't post personal anecdotes and real life observations without angry partisans pouncing to make the same old something-out-of-nothing...?

again-

really? whined how? because OF unemployment, their unemployment or the high rates or?

She made an observation, it's not her fault you take everything personally. Yeah you asked a question, but she's not your barking seal... Some things are self evident.

The question is "Who are the unemployed?" Tell your story and have an adult conversation with those who do the same... OR go find another thread if you can't handle it.

FTR, you did the same thing in Jillian's friendly thread about having Thanksgiving dinner with relatives who disagree on politics where you turned it into a personal pissing match.

I never proffered any personal observations, can you link to these observations please?

I asked questions, there is a difference.

No, the question(s) are what I asked as to her statement;

Most of the whiners about unemployment and/or failed businesses are conservatives

Can you offer a link to that too please? There has been nothing to disagree with, there hasn't been anything offered to disagree on, just declarative statements with no substance or detail as to why she would make such statements, that's why I asked what I asked.

Meltdown much? :eusa_whistle:

College grads
Production line workers
Automotive workers and dealers
Federal and state workers
Construction industry workers
Retail workers

Simple nonpartisan answer. And those workers range from liberal to conservative as well as those who have no political positions.

DUMB TROLL THREAD

You tell me. What is your constant whining based on? :lol:

Ravi should take your advice. She is the one turning my complaints about the economy into a failed business. Last fall I madeva comment that my business could not withstand another terrible winter. Thankfully things were not that bad but Ravi doesn't care about facts just partisan hatred.

And for the record I don't believe for a second that Ravi runs a business. Her family might but she comes across as too stupid to run much more than her mouth.
Thank you for admitting that you either a) lied or b) were wrong about the economy.

And LOL at Trajan fucking up the quotes AGAIN!!!

again-

I never proffered any personal observations, can you link to these observations please?

Most of the whiners about unemployment and/or failed businesses are conservatives

Can you offer a link to that too please? There has been nothing to disagree with, there hasn't been anything offered to disagree on, just declarative statements with no substance or detail as to why she would make such statements, that's why I asked what I asked.

:lol: Who, you? No kidding you haven't made any personal observations or contributions answering as to "Who are the unemployed" because all you've done is bicker like a little bitch asking for links to personal anecdotes. The statistics are what they are either way...

I was watching Jeopardy tonight and saw a commercial with Mitten expressing "concern" over jobs and it got me thinking.

I have five siblings, all are married, none of them or their spouses are unemployed and in fact have the same jobs they had for at least the past 10 years. I have over 30 cousins, and their spouses, who also are not unemployed and have had the same jobs for the past 10 years or more. My husband has three siblings, and they, and their spouses have had the same jobs for the past 10 years or more, with one exception: an in-law that was layed off during the Bush administration and never went back to work (an uber-conservative, btw). Five of us have our own businesses and are making a profit.

At USMB, I know of four people that have complained of being unemployed: Annie, BM, Immie, and Sallow (one lib out of four) and two business "owners" that can't make it in today's economy: GrumpyGramps and Dudball.

It seems conservatives have more trouble being gainfully employed and that doesn't bode well for personal responsibility.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

22.7 Million of your fellow Americans are unemployed.

I don't see the humor in this, not at all.

4 years ago, it was 13.5 Million. Something to think about come election time.

If you choose to think.

If you choose to think.
I wasn't trying to be funny. There are a lot of people unemployed. But less as time goes on. If you can't admit that, you are more of a hack than I've given you credit for.

This doom and gloom over the economy from Republicans is more about hoping the country fails because a Dem is in office than anything else.

Oh the 47% buy and rent high end things ?

I don't do retail. I sell to other businesses. Businesses that don't buy crap made in China.

If you think that's bad, I pity you.

Other small business like the ones Romney is going to tax on ?
Is he? You can't really tax small business, except for not allowing them to write off their purchases the year they make them. Congress has really fallen down on that.

But small businesses don't get taxed. The owners do. And they pay a higher rate than Mitten does. Pretty fucked, no?

:lol: Who, you? No kidding you haven't made any personal observations or contributions answering as to "Who are the unemployed" because all you've done is bicker like a little bitch asking for links to personal anecdotes. The statistics are what they are either way...

I asked asked a simple set of questions, free of any personal remarks/observations of derogatory nature, period ( either to you in any sense or ravi).

Can you link to an example? please feel free to add those links to the ones I have requested already, thx in advance.

I never asked her for links etc. you appear confused, please let me help with that if I may;

statement-

question(s)

Those over 50 who lost their jobs due to offshoring are the hardest hit.
Many will spend all their savings getting by till they get SS ans many will not have insurance.

Yeah, but let's raise the age of retirement so we'll have even more older folks nobody will hire. Yay!!!

We're living longer. It is what it is.
The government busily pisses away funds deducted for social security. So those who are working have to pay for those collecting. More people are needed to fund the system.
If you are pissed off about the retirement age, look to Washington's tax and spend liberals.

If you choose to think.
I think you are lying by about 10 million!

Employment Situation Summary

The number of unemployed persons, at 12.1 million, decreased by
456,000 in September. (See table A-1.)

Forum List

Back