Who are the most influential American musicians of all time ?

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
We're always hearing about the British invasion greats...the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and from Canada there's Neil Young, Rush, Triumph to name a few, then there's ACDC from Australia.

I'll leave it open and just start with the band that pushed thrash metal to the forefront and gave us a foothold in the category of great metal bands in the same league with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath.

James Hetfield was determined this band would go places, even when all the chicks were flocking to see Poison, Motley Crue and Winger around the corner. We see who outlasted the pack, and kept their integrity through some seriously tough times.

Last edited:
If they had lived longer Morrison, Hendrix and Buddy Holly would have made probably the greatest impact on the music world. Unfortunately they only had a smaller impact because their time was cut short

We're always hearing about the British invasion greats...the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and from Canada there's Neil Young, Rush, Triumph to name a few, then there's ACDC from Australia.

I'll leave it open and just start with the band that pushed thrash metal to the forefront and gave us a foothold in the category of great metal bands in the same league with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath.

James Hetfield was determined this band would go places, even when all the chicks were flocking to see Poison, Motley Crue and Winger around the corner. We see who outlasted the pack, and kept their integrity through some seriously tough times.

Wow, great thread idea, Angelo! I'd have to say Bob Dylan was OBVIOUSLY a huge influence on musicians who came after he started in the music business. And of course Jimi Hendrix, who revolutionized the way the electric guitar could be played. And Les Paul, who invented the solid-body guitar. And Louis Armstrong, who greatly popularized jazz music, and made the music popular to ALL people. And of course, my favorite musician all-time, Muddy Waters, who helped popularize the electric blues sound in the northern US cities, and was an influence on blues musicians AND rock musicians who came after him.

Forum List

Back