Who are the best keyboard & piano players ?

I had a friend in high school who could play ragtime stuff like this.

Scott Joplin said it's never a good idea to play ragtime fast. The subtlety of syncopation gets lost.

Nevertheless he's pretty fast here below, but you get a real sense of the swing. This is Scott Joplin's actual playing, from a recorded roll. Doncha love when we didn't let the fact that recording hadn't got underway stop us from doing it anyway.

Then there's this guy, who plays two different pianos, one is out of tune so he transposes the left hand to a lower key. It's impressive

My favorite slow Joplin rag has always been Fig Leaf. When the C section hits (2:38) it's like the heavens just opened up.

Last edited:

Still, if it's speed ya want, you can't beat Jo Ann Castle. Give her 88 keys and she'll use at least a hundred.

Listen to the left hand. She's quoting Liszt.

That's unpossible! :oops:

I know right? My reaction exactly.

Course when you say that what I hear is "more" ....

My forearms are tired in sympathy. Dang.

Still, if it's speed ya want, you can't beat Jo Ann Castle. Give her 88 keys and she'll use at least a hundred.

Listen to the left hand. She's quoting Liszt.

That's unpossible! :oops:

I know right? My reaction exactly.

Course when you say that what I hear is "more" ....

My forearms are tired in sympathy. Dang.

Okay, if you insist. One more. This one's a builder.... she's about 21 here

My wife's niece is a world class concert pianist. To play at that level makes anyone in rock or pop look a little ridiculous. Kind of like comparing rookie ball versus MLB. Rick Wakeman attempted to be a legit concert pianist but said everyone at the conservatory was at least as good as him, and most were better.

Having said that Rick Wakeman is very good. Elton John has an amazing touch and feel, maybe the best I've ever heard. Nicky Hopkins was great. There are many.

Here is my wife's niece. No pop musician could ever play this. Just saying.....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back