Who are some of your favorite MLB Desiginated Hitters (DH) all-time?

Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay. I've always liked it, I thought it made the game more interesting and added more offense to the game. My top 5 are - 1) Harold Baines, he IS my favorite MLB player all-time, so I'm a bit biased about this. Baines WAS a good defensive player in the outfield before he started having leg problems. He was a wonderful hitter, and he combined power at the plate with a high batting average. 2) Edgar Martinez, who I actually think is THE best DH all-time, but he's my #2 favorite. He, like Baines, hit for power and a high batting average. 3) Frank Thomas, the "Big Hurt", was a very effective DH, but also a fine first baseman, defensively, before he switched exclusively to DH late in his career. And like Baines and Martinez, he hit for incredible power and a high batting average. 4) Jim Thome, another player, who, like Thomas, was a good defensive player at first base, before switching to DH. He had INCREDIBLE power at the plate, probably even more than Thomas. 5) Ron Blomberg, the VERY first DH in MLB history, he debuted the position in April of 1973, playing for the New York Yankees. He was a very good hitter, with a .293 career batting average, but for some reason he didn't play a whole lot during his short career. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
How can you not have Big Papi on that list? Are you serious? SHOCKING!!! LOL
I just remedied that! See post #12.
With all due respect...if you don't have Ortiz at number 1...you're out of your mind! Ask any Yankee fan if they didn't think Big Papi was the scariest DH EVAH! :)
Actually, I AM out of my mind, and I have several psychiatrists' diagnosei (that doesn't look right, sp.?) that have come to that conclusion. But I'm only HALF nuts, the other half is cashews. And I DO love being unique!
Pretty sure cashews are nuts too, Bluzman...which makes you 100% nuts! Just saying...
Oh yeah, they ARE nuts! That WOULD explain things. I guess I REALLY am totally effing nuts! But I have NO problem with that. I AM quite comfortable with my insanity.
And I always WILL like the DH rule! It most likely enabled Harold Baines to be a member of the MLB Hall of Fame. He was selected by a special veterans committee maybe 2-3 years ago. Without all those extra years he was able to play as a DH, and put up respectable career numbers for the Hall of Fame, he never would've made it. And that's probably the biggest reason why I like the DH rule.
Have you heard that the idiot owners are going to have BOTH leagues one have the DH. Man that pisses me off,I like the DH as well as you do but I HATE Having both leagues have it.if the NL adds the DH in their league that ruins the enjoyment of baseball,you lose so much in the games with both leagues having it because in the NL league without the DH,it’s fun to watch and guess what the manager will when the came is tied going into late innings if he will,take the chance and lift his starting pitcher fir a DH to try and get something started on offense,or if he will leave him there,there is so much more mind games to enjoy in the NL league than the American League,

These stupid owners can never make up their minds,twenty years ago they were talking about getting rid of the DH which I was equally as mad about of course,now they want the NL to have it

I was done with baseball a long time ago but this would Piss off so many thousands of others though because of being purists.

I would hate it fir both leagues to have it and I don want the American League to get rid of it either but if I HAD to make the difficult decision of it being one of the other,I would say get rid of the DH sense that was not how the game was originally invented, I would hate it of course but hate it worse having both leagues with the DH though,what’s your thoughts on this
Yes, I've noticed that BOTH leagues are using DH now. I'm not quite sure why they decided to do this, it DOES change strategy somewhat. Maybe they decided that because it's a severely shortened season, they'd give it a try. I don't like it either. I believe a pitcher SHOULD have to bat, at least in the National League.
Did they start that this year. I thought it would not be till next year.oh man yeah I am so freaking done with baseballl as much as I am with football now.the owners have destroyed it beyond repair now,I am so glad the cubs my second favorite team won the World Series before this happened, had they still not have won it yet I don’t think I could bring myself to watch them in the world series now,I would sense it’s the cubs and I had always wanted them to win a series fir so long but it would be painful for me.the American League teams I will watch,I’ll never watch a national league team again though. The Cubs and the royals aremthe only world series games I have watched the last twenty years just so you know sense that was when I started boycotting the game, it was over 20 years ago as well when I also started boycotting the nfl when my rams left LA.

They decided to do this cause the players in the NL wanted it and the owners caved into them.imsure hope this makes the fans stay away in those leagues.

Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay. I've always liked it, I thought it made the game more interesting and added more offense to the game. My top 5 are - 1) Harold Baines, he IS my favorite MLB player all-time, so I'm a bit biased about this. Baines WAS a good defensive player in the outfield before he started having leg problems. He was a wonderful hitter, and he combined power at the plate with a high batting average. 2) Edgar Martinez, who I actually think is THE best DH all-time, but he's my #2 favorite. He, like Baines, hit for power and a high batting average. 3) Frank Thomas, the "Big Hurt", was a very effective DH, but also a fine first baseman, defensively, before he switched exclusively to DH late in his career. And like Baines and Martinez, he hit for incredible power and a high batting average. 4) Jim Thome, another player, who, like Thomas, was a good defensive player at first base, before switching to DH. He had INCREDIBLE power at the plate, probably even more than Thomas. 5) Ron Blomberg, the VERY first DH in MLB history, he debuted the position in April of 1973, playing for the New York Yankees. He was a very good hitter, with a .293 career batting average, but for some reason he didn't play a whole lot during his short career. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
With all due respect...if you don't have Ortiz at number 1...you're out of your mind! Ask any Yankee fan if they didn't think Big Papi was the scariest DH EVAH! :)
Actually, I AM out of my mind, and I have several psychiatrists' diagnosei (that doesn't look right, sp.?) that have come to that conclusion. But I'm only HALF nuts, the other half is cashews. And I DO love being unique!
Pretty sure cashews are nuts too, Bluzman...which makes you 100% nuts! Just saying...
Oh yeah, they ARE nuts! That WOULD explain things. I guess I REALLY am totally effing nuts! But I have NO problem with that. I AM quite comfortable with my insanity.
And I always WILL like the DH rule! It most likely enabled Harold Baines to be a member of the MLB Hall of Fame. He was selected by a special veterans committee maybe 2-3 years ago. Without all those extra years he was able to play as a DH, and put up respectable career numbers for the Hall of Fame, he never would've made it. And that's probably the biggest reason why I like the DH rule.
Have you heard that the idiot owners are going to have BOTH leagues one have the DH. Man that pisses me off,I like the DH as well as you do but I HATE Having both leagues have it.if the NL adds the DH in their league that ruins the enjoyment of baseball,you lose so much in the games with both leagues having it because in the NL league without the DH,it’s fun to watch and guess what the manager will when the came is tied going into late innings if he will,take the chance and lift his starting pitcher fir a DH to try and get something started on offense,or if he will leave him there,there is so much more mind games to enjoy in the NL league than the American League,

These stupid owners can never make up their minds,twenty years ago they were talking about getting rid of the DH which I was equally as mad about of course,now they want the NL to have it

I was done with baseball a long time ago but this would Piss off so many thousands of others though because of being purists.

I would hate it fir both leagues to have it and I don want the American League to get rid of it either but if I HAD to make the difficult decision of it being one of the other,I would say get rid of the DH sense that was not how the game was originally invented, I would hate it of course but hate it worse having both leagues with the DH though,what’s your thoughts on this
Yes, I've noticed that BOTH leagues are using DH now. I'm not quite sure why they decided to do this, it DOES change strategy somewhat. Maybe they decided that because it's a severely shortened season, they'd give it a try. I don't like it either. I believe a pitcher SHOULD have to bat, at least in the National League.
Did they start that this year. I thought it would not be till next year.oh man yeah I am so freaking done with baseballl as much as I am with football now.the owners have destroyed it beyond repair now,I am so glad the cubs my second favorite team won the World Series before this happened, had they still not have won it yet I don’t think I could bring myself to watch them in the world series now,I would sense it’s the cubs and I had always wanted them to win a series fir so long but upitbwould be painful for me.the American League teams I will watch,I’ll never watch a national league team again though.

They decided to do this cause the players in the NL wanted it and the owners caved into them.imsure hope this makes the fans stay away in those leagues.
I believe they DID start it this year. I'll check some box scores on ESPN, then I'll come right back here with what I find.

Did you see the part I added on how I started boycotting baseball twenty years ago and the NFL as well because my Rams left LA.i noticed you gave me an alert before I finiished all of it is why I ask. Baseball was because the union in 94 made it impossible for small market teams to compete with big market teams year after year.

Did they start that this year. I thought it would not be till next year.oh man yeah I am so freaking done with baseballl as much as I am with football now.the owners have destroyed it beyond repair now,I am so glad the cubs my second favorite team won the World Series before this happened, had they still not have won it yet I don’t think I could bring myself to watch them in the world series now,I would sense it’s the cubs and I had always wanted them to win a series fir so long but it would be painful for me.the American League teams I will watch,I’ll never watch a national league team again though. The Cubs and the royals aremthe only world series games I have watched the last twenty years just so you know sense that was when I started boycotting the game, it was over 20 years ago as well when I also started boycotting the nfl when my rams left LA.

Yep, the National League IS using the DH, as well.

Did you see the part I added on how I started boycotting baseball twenty years ago and the NFL as well because my Rams left LA.i noticed you gave me an alert before I finiished all of it is why I ask. Baseball was because the union in 94 made it impossible for small market teams to compete with big market teams year after year.
Oh forgot to add on as well for another reason that pissed me off is because they started that stupid three way wild card race and that bs crap that the team that wins the all star game gets home field advantage, I thought that was stupid before switching it off every year but that is twice as stupid ,why can’t they be smart like the NBA who has always done it the smart way that makes sense that the team with the best record in the league gets to have home field advantage,good god.

Yep, the National League IS using the DH, as well.
Fuck I am so much done ever watching a national league game again,as I said,sure am glad the cubs won the series before this happened,would not have been able to watch and enjoy it near as much had this bs crap happened before they went to the series.

Baseball plays a lot of games. Each league with 15 teams in only one division is pure. Playoffs can be the top 4 teams in each league division. No inter league play. League Champions meet in the World Series.

Forum List

Back