Who are some of your favorite bass players, in any genre, all-time?

saw Jack Bruce with Cream in 68.....again with Leslie West and Corky Laing....
Bass icon......here's one of my former bands take>>>

~S~

Wow, very nice. Especially that bass player in the back. But seriously, you guys sounded great. And the lead singer was quite good, as well. It's funny that you don't look like what I expected you to look like, of course I WAS looking for an Uncle Fester look-a-like with a light bulb in his mouth! When is this video from? Because you guys had some pretty good talent there.

The bassist, along with the drummer, provide the back beat and rhythm of every band. Bass players, like drummers, are an essential part of a band's sound. Here are some of my favorites - 1) John Entwistle, simply the best and most powerful bass player I've ever heard. He, along with Keith Moon, anchored many of the classic songs by The Who. It sometimes sounded as if John was playing LEAD BASS GUITAR. Just a fantastic bassist. And he released quite a few solo albums, as well. And they make for some nice listening. 2) Stuart Hamm, a longtime associate of Joe Satriani's, "Stu" played with Joe on every tour I saw of Joe. He hasn't done much studio work with Joe, Joe seems to prefer another bassist for that or he plays bass himself on these recordings. Stu usually did a few songs of his own when performing with Joe, and featured a very prominent LEAD BASS. 3) Les Claypool, the very offbeat, but VERY fine bassist for Primus and other various bands he's worked with over the years. Les's vocals are NOT lovely to listen to, but they fit his music. And he, like John and Stu, plays some awesome LEAD BASS on some songs. 4) Chris Squire, he, along with Bill Bruford on drums, anchored the classic early music of Yes. Chris was just a fantastic bassist, listen to his work on songs like "Roundabout" and you'll hear what I mean. 5) Paul McCartney, yes Paul, he was and is a terrific bass player. He and Ringo kept a steady rhythm for the Beatles. And Paul is also a fine guitarist AND drummer, to boot. Paul's most amazing bass playing, to my ears, can be found in his song, "Silly Love Songs". Just brilliant work. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

You pretty much nailed my list.

And in the correct order too!
Thanks!

The bassist, along with the drummer, provide the back beat and rhythm of every band. Bass players, like drummers, are an essential part of a band's sound. Here are some of my favorites - 1) John Entwistle, simply the best and most powerful bass player I've ever heard. He, along with Keith Moon, anchored many of the classic songs by The Who. It sometimes sounded as if John was playing LEAD BASS GUITAR. Just a fantastic bassist. And he released quite a few solo albums, as well. And they make for some nice listening. 2) Stuart Hamm, a longtime associate of Joe Satriani's, "Stu" played with Joe on every tour I saw of Joe. He hasn't done much studio work with Joe, Joe seems to prefer another bassist for that or he plays bass himself on these recordings. Stu usually did a few songs of his own when performing with Joe, and featured a very prominent LEAD BASS. 3) Les Claypool, the very offbeat, but VERY fine bassist for Primus and other various bands he's worked with over the years. Les's vocals are NOT lovely to listen to, but they fit his music. And he, like John and Stu, plays some awesome LEAD BASS on some songs. 4) Chris Squire, he, along with Bill Bruford on drums, anchored the classic early music of Yes. Chris was just a fantastic bassist, listen to his work on songs like "Roundabout" and you'll hear what I mean. 5) Paul McCartney, yes Paul, he was and is a terrific bass player. He and Ringo kept a steady rhythm for the Beatles. And Paul is also a fine guitarist AND drummer, to boot. Paul's most amazing bass playing, to my ears, can be found in his song, "Silly Love Songs". Just brilliant work. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

One guy who rarely gets mentioned is Elton John's original bass player Dee Murray. He was amazing. When you go on bass player forums his name always comes up. Incredibly melodic and powerful. One of the best ever imho. Please listen to this and see if you agree. :)

Last edited:

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

One guy who rarely gets mentioned is Elton John's original bass player Dee Murray. He was amazing. When you go on bass player forums his name always comes up. Incredibly melodic and powerful. One of the best ever imho. Please listen to this and see if you agree. :)

Thanks for mentioning him, WQ! I had forgotten about him, he WAS quite good. Elton's drummer for many years, Nigel Olsson, was and is a fine musician, as well. And of course, Davey Johnstone, a very fine guitarist who has played MANY years with Elton. Elton's band from about 1970 to 1975-76 was just fantastic, and featured all of three of these musicians.

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

Thanks for mentioning him, WQ! I had forgotten about him, he WAS quite good. Elton's drummer for many years, Nigel Olsson, was and is a fine musician, as well. And of course, Davey Johnstone, a very fine guitarist who has played MANY years with Elton. Elton's band from about 1970 to 1975-76 was just fantastic, and featured all of three of these musicians.

Yes. Although everyone in the band said Dee was the best musician. He kind of had the Paul McCartney melodic thing with some real power underneath. A great, great player.

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

I was just thinking about Dee Murray's playing. On the song, "Gotta Get A Meal Ticket", from Elton John's Captain Fantastic album, I can clearly hear Dee's bass in my head! Just fantastic playing.

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

I was just thinking about Dee Murray's playing. On the song, "Gotta Get A Meal Ticket", from Elton John's Captain Fantastic album, I can clearly hear Dee's bass in my head! Just fantastic playing.

Last one. Meal ticket. As I say Dee Murray was one of the greats.

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

Last one. Meal ticket. As I say Dee Murray was one of the greats.

Thanks very much for the post, WQ!

I remember the first time I heard John Paul Jones in Lemon Song, just stellar.

I love Arthur Barrow on Zappa's Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, I think Arthur is on 14 or 15 of the songs. Amazing counterpoint to Zappa on guitar and Vinny Colaiuta on drums.

Finally, I'll post when I can, there's a bass player who worked out Paganini Caprice 24 -- ON THE BASS!!!

I remember the first time I heard John Paul Jones in Lemon Song, just stellar.

I love Arthur Barrow on Zappa's Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, I think Arthur is on 14 or 15 of the songs. Amazing counterpoint to Zappa on guitar and Vinny Colaiuta on drums.

Finally, I'll post when I can, there's a bass player who worked out Paganini Caprice 24 -- ON THE BASS!!!
Thanks for mentioning John Paul Jones. I somehow forgot about him!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned John McVie of Fleetwood Mac. If not, I just did, because he's a wonderful bassist. His playing on Fleetwood Mac's song, "The Chain", from their great album Rumours, is just fantastic. It anchors that whole song.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned John McVie of Fleetwood Mac. If not, I just did, because he's a wonderful bassist. His playing on Fleetwood Mac's song, "The Chain", from their great album Rumours, is just fantastic. It anchors that whole song.

That's true, but musically I think Lindsey is the standout player. Peter Green was the ultimate player with Fleetwood Mac though. Awesome guitarist

That's true, but musically I think Lindsey is the standout player. Peter Green was the ultimate player with Fleetwood Mac though. Awesome guitarist
Yep, Lindsey IS quite good, and I agree that Peter Green is even better. Especially for blues and blues-based music. Peter was actually a short time member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, as was John McVie. I believe McVie was one of the original members of John Mayall's group.

Forum List

Back