White House believes they can fill the seat and 37 days

My only concern is Romney pulling a McCain and voting against the nominee at the last second. The repubs need enough votes to make his irrelevant.

The Gop would confirm a phone book before the election if they had to. The good thing for the gop senators is they can get political cover by opposing Trump's very real threat to try get state EV votes even if he doesn't win a state with popular vote. GOP senators can shoot that down, and cloak themselves in "non partisan statesmanship" and appease voters, even if they have to use lame duck gop senate votes to fill the SC seat.

I mean its not like McConnell didn't have support of fellow gop senators when he denied Garland a hearing.

The civil senate norms for confirmation have changed. But thee norms for filling circuit judge vacancies when Carter changed them to stop people like Jesse Helms and Strom Thrumond from blocking non racist judges. Reagan used the change to nominate right leaning judges who'd never had a chance before. We survived. And someday there will be a gop president in his last year of his term who will be denied the opportunity to have a nominee get a fair up or down vote.

Last edited:
I believe the seat will be filled the Friday before election day.
yeah, all that really remains to be seen is what the dems will do in return if they take the senate. and what Biden will approve of if he's elected.

The gop really doesn't have a choice (-: because anti-abortion groups have spent upwards of a billion dollars in electing a senate to give them this seat. They need 6. McConnel is just delivering for his gop caucus. But imo it goes beyond abortion for Moscow Mitch, and frankly he probably doesn't give a rats ass one way or another about abortion.

People say McConnell does not have any principal beyond pure power to take some action in his caucuses benefit. But imo he really does believe that the US did all it should need to do to answer for slavery and Jim Crowe up until 1965 when the Senate passed the civil rights act … and voting rights really are no longer protected in the South, and never were in the North. When Obama got elected, he said "all righty then, " but bitterly resented Sotomayor's views that ameliorating systemic racism in the private sector was a good thing. And Sotomayor and Obama shared that view

The problem is, Collins and Murkowski are even squishier than Romney, so who else is left?
Repubs can lose all three of them and still confirm the nominee. I just wouldn't count on Romney's vote, regardless of what he's stated.

They probably could get ACB thru in 37 days if they wanted to, but they don't need to rush it.
A full senate vote after the election is just peachy.
I'm looking forward to the democrat antics and temper tantrums.
We lose McSally in 34 days if she doesn’t win
I'm watching that race closely and it isn't looking good for McSally. Mark Kelly has the sympathy vote because of his wife Gabby Giffords.
I don't know. Mark Kelly comes across as slimy. His commercials don't mention Giffords, but they spend a lot of time trying to make him look like a hero and a common man. The two latest show him drinking a beer with two other people and have what is identified as his AG (I'm not sure what that means, I always heard A-6 right seaters being referred to as B-Ns (bombardier-navigators) saying how heroic Kelly acted when a SAM near missed them in Desert Storm.
Kelly is a great self promoter. He has been involved in some shady deals some of them involving Chinese nationalists. All of that will be ignored by Arizona voters IMO. I'm shocked by how much the state has shifted Left in the last few years.

They probably could get ACB thru in 37 days if they wanted to, but they don't need to rush it.
I'm watching that race closely and it isn't looking good for McSally. Mark Kelly has the sympathy vote because of his wife Gabby Giffords.
I don't know. Mark Kelly comes across as slimy. His commercials don't mention Giffords, but they spend a lot of time trying to make him look like a hero and a common man. The two latest show him drinking a beer with two other people and have what is identified as his AG (I'm not sure what that means, I always heard A-6 right seaters being referred to as B-Ns (bombardier-navigators) saying how heroic Kelly acted when a SAM near missed them in Desert Storm.
Kelly is a great self promoter. He has been involved in some shady deals some of them involving Chinese nationalists. All of that will be ignored by Arizona voters IMO. I'm shocked by how much the state has shifted Left in the last few years.
Massive California migration.. sad

The problem is, Collins and Murkowski are even squishier than Romney, so who else is left?
Repubs can lose all three of them and still confirm the nominee. I just wouldn't count on Romney's vote, regardless of what he's stated.

I never entirely count on Romney for anything, but it would be better if we didn't have to go to the Vice President as a tie-breaker, if at all possible.

Apparently, it was illegal for us REAL Arizonans to post people with guns at the borders to keep the Californian refugees out. *sigh*

SC confirmations have been done in fewer days.

If it is Barrett, she just went thru a confirmation a few years ago and was confirmed as fit for the federal bench, so there is no reason she shouldn't just sail thru.

Yup. I've read that. They've gotten Judges confirmed before in fewer days. Hope history repeats itself here. Won't know who Trump nominates till Saturday though.
Hope its Barrett.

They can skip the "committee" which is BS anyway.

They go directly into vetting, asking the nominee questions...5 minutes per senator...and have a straight up or down vote.

Have it televised but close it to the public so democrat filth can't pay people to start screaming like they did in the kavanaugh hearings.

Plenty of time.
That was terrible. What was in the chamber during the Kavanaugh hearings looked to be the the fringe of the fringe. Progs are responsible for this.
Democrats got so insane in the Kavanaugh hearing that his daughters were removed for their own safety. The police were actually afraid that deranged democrats would attack those little girls.

They can skip the "committee" which is BS anyway.

They go directly into vetting, asking the nominee questions...5 minutes per senator...and have a straight up or down vote.

Have it televised but close it to the public so democrat filth can't pay people to start screaming like they did in the kavanaugh hearings.

Plenty of time.
That was terrible. What was in the chamber during the Kavanaugh hearings looked to be the the fringe of the fringe. Progs are responsible for this.
Democrats got so insane in the Kavanaugh hearing that his daughters were removed for their own safety. The police were actually afraid that deranged democrats would attack those little girls.

Deranged Democrats have since proven that the fears of the police were not unfounded.

What would the marxist shitstains do?

Contemplate the question carefully.... and answer it honestly.... keep it real.

Then DO it, in kind.

Time for some mutha fuckin' reciprocity.

SC confirmations have been done in fewer days.

If it is Barrett, she just went thru a confirmation a few years ago and was confirmed as fit for the federal bench, so there is no reason she shouldn't just sail thru.

Yup. I've read that. They've gotten Judges confirmed before in fewer days. Hope history repeats itself here. Won't know who Trump nominates till Saturday though.
Hope its Barrett.

I would LOVE to see a woman actually representing what conservative women are like, rather than all the women in positions of power being squishy left-leaners and playing like every woman in the country thinks and acts the same way.

Even if she loses, her term isn't up until January 3rd.....

Actually I believe in Arizona it's up at the end of November. That would be cutting it close.

I see no reason to delay confirmation until after the election. If anything, there is a downside that Republicans suffer from a well earned credibility problem. I want to see them close the deal

Forum List

Back