Which rock and roll trios are the best ever?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
For me, I would pick Cream as the best. They had one of the best guitarists AND drummers of all-time, IMHO, in Clapton and Baker. And their bass player, Jack Bruce, not too shabby either. My second, and VERY close to my #1 pick, would be Rush. Like Cream, their musicians were virtuosos on their instruments. My #3 pick would be The Police, again, all three virtuosos on their instruments. So who are YOUR favorites?

I'd put Hot Tuna a squeak above Rush ...
I like ZZ Top better than The Police ... let me go listen to some of their music again, The Police never struck me as being all that great musicians but then again I didn't really listen to them all that much ...

For me, I would pick Cream as the best. They had one of the best guitarists AND drummers of all-time, IMHO, in Clapton and Baker. And their bass player, Jack Bruce, not too shabby either. My second, and VERY close to my #1 pick, would be Rush. Like Cream, their musicians were virtuosos on their instruments. My #3 pick would be The Police, again, all three virtuosos on their instruments. So who are YOUR favorites?

"Cream" was exactly the first word to come to mind as soon as I read the word "trio". And don't short-sell Jack Bruce, he was certainly as best as his bandmates.

Fatter o' mact Disraeli Gears was the first LP I ever bought. I remember that it cost the princely sum of $2.49. I literally wore it out and had to buy another. I would put it on and listen to only the guitar, then put it back on and listen only to the bass, then put it back on again and listen only to the drums, now let's hear it again the whole group.... the poor slab of vinyl never had a chance.

I should add that I grew out of that sort of vinyl abuse, but goddam it was so good I couldn't resist.

Cream is a great one......the so called power trio.....there is also Emerson Lake & Palmer........Grand Funk Railroad had their moment in the early 70's....early Hendrix.....the James Gang.... Mahogany Rush was another....

One is tempted to name ELP in such a list but let's be honest, that really means Keith Emerson. In the same way that the Jimi Hendrix Experience really means JImi Hendrix.

I like ZZ Top better than The Police ... let me go listen to some of their music again, The Police never struck me as being all that great musicians but then again I didn't really listen to them all that much ...
hot tuna wasnt a trio.....

One is tempted to name ELP in such a list but let's be honest, that really means Keith Emerson. In the same way that the Jimi Hendrix Experience really means JImi Hendrix.
saw them live gregg lake was a major guy on stage.....

Me too, yeah he was big. Matter of fact I think he died of bigness.
And no slouch in his parts but not on the level of a Jack Bruce.

hot tuna wasnt a trio.....

Thank you, I didn't think that smelled right.

Forum List

Back