Which Operating System do you use an why

The machine will run super fast. Never lock up and will be sufficiently powerful for many years. You can load the Linux right beside your windows if you'd like it that way for some reason. Maybe some old games or something that only run on Windows or a program you like for your camera, although Linux is loaded with camera stuff too. Just not "brand specific" like a disk that might come with a Canon or something but isn't really needed.

Old games? Plenty of games don't run, or don't run well, on Linux. :dunno:
That's why the comment of "load right beside windowz. It's called dual boot. You start the machine and the BIOS asks. Windows or Linux ? Click and go

Yeah, I have a dual boot PC with Win7 and Linux Mint. You specifically said old games that only run on Windows, though, as though newer games all run on Linux. For gamers, Linux is unfortunately still not a great option.

I don't think I've dual-booted since I had to break apart a 4-disk RAID 10 array because of the hard drive shortage.

4 hard drives and a few SSDs got me through that.

Then SSDs came out, and now I just get an SSD.

The machine will run super fast. Never lock up and will be sufficiently powerful for many years. You can load the Linux right beside your windows if you'd like it that way for some reason. Maybe some old games or something that only run on Windows or a program you like for your camera, although Linux is loaded with camera stuff too. Just not "brand specific" like a disk that might come with a Canon or something but isn't really needed.

Old games? Plenty of games don't run, or don't run well, on Linux. :dunno:
Using windows 7 Home Premium. Have not changed to 10 because heard I would not be able to load my bought, licensed Microsoft Office Suite and would end up basically leasing what I already own if I changed to 10. I still haven't gotten over not being butt hurt about not being able to load my complete set of Adobe Photo Suite from my XP days.

Not true. Your Office 2003 or greater license will work perfectly under Windows 10. And Windows 10 has great new features like reading what you type in Word or Excel to tailor advertising ..

Last edited:
At home I went all iMac when the first one hit the market and have 3 in use today plus an early MacBook Air (11-inch) that sucks for today's purposes except for note-taking/photo storage when traveling.

The one remaining broadcaster for whom I still do pro-bono work is all Windows - the root of most of their problems. Holding off on updating to Windows 10 because new reports of bugs and especially new bugs in bug-fixes keep erupting. Also the anti-virus protecting it won't work with Windows 10 and the replacement for it runs over 20X more expensive than the previous generation per machine. Considering they need new computers soon they're looking at some of the Apple-based automation systems a lot more seriously than in the past; just never moving to Windows 10 at all.

But for grins and giggles....the OS that came on a cassette with the antique VIC-20.

Bunk.

OSX was the first adware OS. Windows 10 is playing catch up to the sleaze that is Apple. All server bases AV works with Windows 10. Any competent package will disable Windows Defender, the built in anti-virus in Windows 10 (which works just fine) which is the underlying issue with AV incompatibility problems.

Mac and iPad are toys for web browsing and flash games. They aren't suitable for anything more than that.

At home I went all iMac when the first one hit the market and have 3 in use today plus an early MacBook Air (11-inch) that sucks for today's purposes except for note-taking/photo storage when traveling.

The one remaining broadcaster for whom I still do pro-bono work is all Windows - the root of most of their problems. Holding off on updating to Windows 10 because new reports of bugs and especially new bugs in bug-fixes keep erupting. Also the anti-virus protecting it won't work with Windows 10 and the replacement for it runs over 20X more expensive than the previous generation per machine. Considering they need new computers soon they're looking at some of the Apple-based automation systems a lot more seriously than in the past; just never moving to Windows 10 at all.

But for grins and giggles....the OS that came on a cassette with the antique VIC-20.
Where are you getting your Win 10 info from? Windows haters anonymous? Almost everything you're claiming about Windows 10 was initial release bugs that have long since been worked out. As for the few that crop up now and then, I have the same rare problems with Linux and Mac updates that have occasional bugs.

Bunk.

OSX was the first adware OS. Windows 10 is playing catch up to the sleaze that is Apple. All server bases AV works with Windows 10. Any competent package will disable Windows Defender, the built in anti-virus in Windows 10 (which works just fine) which is the underlying issue with AV incompatibility problems.

Mac and iPad are toys for web browsing and flash games. They aren't suitable for anything more than that.
Baby, it's very far removed from Manson and Zelifcam.

Manson did know how to do stuff. Which I learned the hard way.

These days, not many compare to Manson..Fuuuuuuhhh!

None do.

Dammit! They used to worship him back then, he did know some things.

Nobody in 2020 compares to Manson in zelifcam, baby, fuck no!

I gave him hell and ended up offline. :auiqs.jpg: Yeah, I'm the ornery type.

After that I grew to respect and listen to him.

Not like the culty fucks, but he was no idiot.
It's always good to listen to someone that knows more than you.

Last edited:
Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.
All three have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.
All super computers in the world now run off of Linux.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.
I also use all three

but I am having trouble with Linux Mint because it will not run Arduino IDE properly

which is frustrating because it is so highly acclaimed yet I cant do practical work on it

Work: Windows 10 on Lenovo
Mobile: iPhone 11 Pro iOS 13.4.1
Game: Xbox one 10.0......

Next purchase: Xbox SeriesX (Wtf)
Can’t wait for next game system era.

Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.
I also use all three

but I am having trouble with Linux Mint because it will not run Arduino IDE properly

which is frustrating because it is so highly acclaimed yet I cant do practical work on it
Try CentOS. It's a different system..you either rpm or yum and all software goes kinda like Windows updates.
(After you add all the necessary repositories)
No tarballs. It gives one more control over the system, though.
CentOS is like ..Super-Enterprise RHEL
Made to last for years.

Last edited:

I also use all three

Try CentOS. It's a different system..you either rpm or yum and all software goes kinda like Windows updates.
Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?
Yes it is, it's an offshoot of Red Hat Enterprise but from what I read it's more of a server OS, matter of fact it's labeled as "ideal for servers". It's also labeled as "not so great for daily desktop usage". I've never used it so I can't attest to either of those statements, just give it a shot and if it works for you then great. :thup:

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?
I suspect you've already tried this but just in case you didn't.

Arduino - Linux

All the standards because I don't want to get technical and calibrate programs. Windows McCafee Express VPN and I dont use Google anymore for email and only for web searches but mostly use bing now which is better except on mapping.

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?
Yes it is, it's an offshoot of Red Hat Enterprise but from what I read it's more of a server OS, matter of fact it's labeled as "ideal for servers". It's also labeled as "not so great for daily desktop usage". I've never used it so I can't attest to either of those statements, just give it a shot and if it works for you then great. :thup:
I was happy with Mint till I was unable to use the first application that I tried

which is Arduino IDE

on widows and mac it just downloads and works

But not so on Linux

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?

Arduino - Linux
I have

no doubt there is a fix to this problem and I will keep searching

So far I can say the Mint is a crisper more efficient OS than Windows 10

It runs on an older computer that is not powerful enough for windows 10

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?

Arduino - Linux
I have

Them tarball OSes..eh,meh..you have more control and can do more things with others.

You'll need to research how to add the repos you need n stuff

"Centos add repo" in favorite search engine.

I think there's a GUI for repo software as well, makes it much easier.

Last edited:

So... I have a gaming system which is Win 10. I have a work computer, that is OS X. And I have a Manjaro Linux on a computer that streams to a projector.

I used ot run Mint Linux, but I've found that Manjaro is in fact better. Once I switched to that, all my complaints about Mint were addressed with Manjaro.

For my work computer, Mac OS X on a Mac Mini. Never have any problems, never any crashes, never lost data or destroyed hours of work.
In relation to Apple being a premium cost.... it depends largely on what you are comparing it to.

If you compare Apple to any other name brand manufacturer, and try and directly compare specs, you'll find that the prices are actually not that far off.

The real price difference comes from off-brands. Since Apple has no off-brands, you can pick up a cheap off-brand that is much cheaper.

Same with smart phones. When you compare top of the line Samsung smart phones, with top of the line Apple phones, the price isn't that much different.

But of course you can find Android smart phones form off-brands for a much lower price.

Regardless, I prefer Apple's iOS over android by a wide margin. And I prefer Mac OS over Windows for nearly anything that isn't game related.

I also use all three

Made to last for years.
I will look into that

is it a Linux distro?

Arduino - Linux
I have

Them tarball OSes..eh,meh..you have more control and can do more things with others.

You'll need to research how to add the repos you need n stuff

"Centos add repo" in favorite search engine.

I think there's a GUI for repo software as well, makes it much easier.
For the time being I will give up on Linux and use my imac to program Arduino’s

but thanks anyway

hopefully I can return to the Linux with another OS like Centos in the future

Forum List

Back