Which Operating System do you use an why

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.
All three have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.
All super computers in the world now run off of Linux.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.

Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.
I use Windows 10 for everything on this computer. I've had very few problems with it. I have no desire to change.

I use Windows 10 for everything on this computer. I've had very few problems with it. I have no desire to change.
And that's the thing, "no desire to change" that and familiarity sometimes combined with disinformation is key. For disinformation I'm referring to, "Linux is for geeks" or "Microsoft wants your soul" or "Apple computers never break".........
People use what they like or simply what they are familiar with and usually will not change unless specific personal circumstances force them to. That's why I never advocate one operating system over the other, oh I may rant and rave on occasion and joke around in good natured fun but as with politics, etc I do love messing with acolytes....... :D

And that's the thing, "no desire to change" that and familiarity sometimes combined with disinformation is key. For disinformation I'm referring to, "Linux is for geeks" or "Microsoft wants your soul" or "Apple computers never break".........
People use what they like or simply what they are familiar with and usually will not change unless specific personal circumstances force them to. That's why I never advocate one operating system over the other, oh I may rant and rave on occasion and joke around in good natured fun but as with politics, etc I do love messing with acolytes....... :D
I'm just fine with Windows 10. If I ever start experiencing frequent problems, I would, of course, consider changing. But things are fine right now.

I also own three laptops and three desktops.......... There's the wife's 17" laptop, my 17" laptop which I haven't powered up in months, my Lenovo Yoga 2 which I use in the kitchen and my workshop, my gamer and my daily. The last desktop, the older one will probably end up as my home media server.

Apple has never given me reason to switch to anything else ... typically it's improvements to the internet that make an old iMac obsolete ... otherwise they just keep running and running and running ...

Lack of gaming opportunities is a drawback ... but I have an actual game console for that ... "Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so" ... Wine appears to be no longer under development, I only used it for WoWS and that's failing now with their 0.9.x update ... I can install Windoze and boot from that to run applications native ... just have no need to ...

Apple is not immune to malware ... far from it ... I wouldn't enter in anything here that I wouldn't enter into a WinTel box ... safety first ... but as far as I know, I've never been infected by any in 30 years, lucky I guess ...

Same with Firefox, f.k.a. Netscape, it's what I started with, have no reason to change ...

One advantage Apple has over Windoze is that Apache and PHP are preloaded, MySQL is a simple download ... that's some powerful shit straight out of the shipping box ...

Windows XP SP3 on this computer in the garage, because I'm too lazy to put more memory in it, and too cheap to upgrade the OS.

Windows Vista SP2 on the computer in the house that I mostly use for email. And once again, too cheap to upgrade.

My wife's computer is running Windows 7.

It's not like I don't have the wherewithal to upgrade everything, it's just that I'm lazy and cheap. I worked for Devry university back in the 80's and 90's when computers were first becoming prevalent. I was the only in-house electronic technician and was responsible for component-level repair and maintenance of all the academic equipment such as power supplies, function generators, oscilloscopes, computers, and monitors.

We bought brand new IBM PC's that booted up to DOS on a 5-1/4" floppy disk. The original price was about $1500 apiece and we had about 100 of them in the labs, offices, and faculty offices.

Then we replaced all of them with the IBM PC-XT Model 286, with 640KB RAM, 1.2MB floppy drive, and 20MB hard drive, for about $3500 apiece.

Then we replaced them with the 386-based computers, 486, Pentium, and so on. I also learned a little SCO Unix and Redhat, and had a Silicon Graphics running machine in my office. It was running some IRIX version, I don't remember which.

But having been out of the industry since 1999, I just run whatever crap computers I find at a garage sale for $5.
:laugh:

MAC OS X El Capitan for my primary with Windows XP Pro run on Parallels as a virtual machine for those Windows programs worth running.

BTW, Windows runs far betting in the Mac app than it ever did on an actual IBM PC.

I use windows 10 for the gaming computer. I would much rather have stayed with 7 but it is ending its life soon. 7 was a much better and more stable gaming platform for me since I have so many older games. The biggest complaint I have with Windows OS is that they usually tend to break more then they fix.
I use IOS for my iPad and iPhone. I use the iPad for almost everything online. The iPhone is mostly calls, texts and occasional Internet.

I still use XP with SP3

I still use XP with SP3
Whatever floats your boat, like I said you use what you like or simply are familiar with. Personally after using Win 7 seemingly forever (I loved Win 7) and now Win 10 (configured the way I want it) XP looks and feels clunky to me. XP was great during it's heyday but the world has moved on and I moved with it albeit sometimes slower than others.

MAC OS X El Capitan for my primary with Windows XP Pro run on Parallels as a virtual machine for those Windows programs worth running.

BTW, Windows runs far betting in the Mac app than it ever did on an actual IBM PC.
VMware Fusion?

I gave up all forms of Windows(other than the ones I build for my house) in 1997/2000. Debian has been my go to since 1997 and I worked making Win 2000 lite as Linux like as possible by decimating a large part of the registry_old.
Then the MS idiots went to XP which was OK---just OK and I havent run Windows at all since. I bought a laptop recently that crammed W10 down my throat and within 1/2 hour It had LMDE3 .
My main drive is MX18 and an MX19 plus a data partition and SDB has a media and LMDE4-beta---yet no longer beta as I set it up tight for MY recently built machine.It will be incredibly flawless when the final release is done. MX is pretty much flawless now too.
Screenshot from 2020-02-25 08-57-24.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-25 08-58-47.png

These are true Debian pure distros where the MX guys and Clem over at Mint have done serious tweaks to the "tools" section of both nearly eliminating user commands via the termina/console. You can dload Pure Deb 10 and install Cinnamon or XFCE or whatever but the outcome would take a huge efforet by one guy to add the goodies to the menu. They have done it all for us. Gotta go sent the MX boiz another $5. Been a few weeks

On the tablet Android because that's what came on it on my putters NT because it works and it's all I need. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have one old desktop running Win95 because it has some engineering software I wanted to hang on to just in case I might have to work or something. Yeah I've been retired for awhile now.

I have one old desktop running Win95 because it has some engineering software I wanted to hang on to just in case I might have to work or something. Yeah I've been retired for awhile now.

I saw a documentary on Netflix a couple weeks ago, some abandoned buildings thing.
Anyway, they were in an old medical facility that moved somewhere else, and the building has been vacant for over 20 years. They were at first surprised that parts of the building the electricity still worked. They found a box with a computer/monitor/keybored and mouse. They plugged it in - and it worked! Windows 95. On the desktop were word files from the late 90's....
Can you imagine, a computer sitting in a damp vacant building for over 20 years still worked.

I saw a documentary on Netflix a couple weeks ago, some abandoned buildings thing.
Anyway, they were in an old medical facility that moved somewhere else, and the building has been vacant for over 20 years. They were at first surprised that parts of the building the electricity still worked. They found a box with a computer/monitor/keybored and mouse. They plugged it in - and it worked! Windows 95. On the desktop were word files from the late 90's....
Can you imagine, a computer sitting in a damp vacant building for over 20 years still worked.
95 probably crashed so many times it caused everyone in the building to commit sidewayz. That's why it was abandoned !
If it still ran it was probably a Dell build. Mike was a good guy back then.I don't know today ?

Win 10 for gaming, Win 7 on my other 2 PCs, this one also has Linux Mint set up on a dual boot. I don't use Mint much anymore, though. Probably because most of my website saved stuff is on the Windows boot. :p Well, I had to use Windows when I was doing classes for college, and I got used to using it as the primary boot.

Forum List

Back