Which of these is the best drum solo and/or drummer

Who you like

• John Bonham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews still SUCKS hard -pretend that's not relevant)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Obviously each of those guys are good at what they do but... drum solos are really boring. How do you chose which of these boring things is the best boring thing?

Perhaps this fellow can tone it down for you. He's pretty great.

I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. Course I can't approach any of these guys. Anyway, I'm not so edgucated drumming, but to me these are the top five to ever play. Best solo doesn't mean best drummer right, but this is what I came up with without a lot of research. Keep in mind more drums doesn't mean better drummer, I have no doubt Buddy tripped up on blues/rock could do what the fuck he wanted on any set.

Buddy Rich:

Neil Peart:

John Bonham:

Carter Beauford: (Dave Mathews SUCKS)

Vinnie Colaiuta - The guy with Glasses...........

Haven't had one of these "best drummer" threads in about 4 years.. The answer is positively hands down STILL --- Dino Danelli of the Young Rascals. If you think drum solos are boring, listen to this.. like a July 4th fireworks display..

I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. Course I can't approach any of these guys. Anyway, I'm not so edgucated drumming, but to me these are the top five to ever play. Best solo doesn't mean best drummer right, but this is what I came up with without a lot of research. Keep in mind more drums doesn't mean better drummer, I have no doubt Buddy tripped up on blues/rock could do what the fuck he wanted on any set.

Buddy Rich:

Neil Peart:

John Bonham:

Carter Beauford: (Dave Mathews SUCKS)

Vinnie Colaiuta - The guy with Glasses...........

Haven't had one of these "best drummer" threads in about 4 years.. The answer is positively hands down STILL --- Dino Danelli of the Young Rascals. If you think drum solos are boring, listen to this.. like a July 4th fireworks display..

Dude was spot on. Didn't know that.

A really fine drummer who pretty much wasted his advanced technique playing straight ahead 4/4 rock/pop is Steve Smith, of Journey. Really good. But there were a lot of those musicians. You probably wouldn't believe it but the dudes from Bay City Rollers were kickass musicians. I partied/jammed with them a long time ago. The music they played just didn't call for anything special.

Pre-covid, Steve Gadd was on tour with James Taylor, and my old drummer is Steve Gadd's drum tech. On the one hand, I'm very happy for him, as he's hit the big time and gets to travel around the world. But on the other hand I'm kind of sad for him because he's a fantastic drummer in his own right - a Berklee graduate - and should be having a drum tech setting up his drums while he's playing for a big-name artist.

Was reading about Steely Dan recording the song Aja....Steve Gadd was late for the gig - stuck in LA traffic ( I believe without double-checking) ...gets to the studio and lays down the epic track in one take.

Sorry to all dopeheads; drum solos ARE boring....................but in context...drums are good of course. Same with the noise from electric guitars.......

Greg

A really fine drummer who pretty much wasted his advanced technique playing straight ahead 4/4 rock/pop is Steve Smith, of Journey. Really good. But there were a lot of those musicians.
you might want to give Steps Ahead a listen.

Forum List

Back