Which Major League Baseball World Series are some of your favorites, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Thanks to a baseball fan who suggested this idea, I present this query to you. Here are some of my favorites - 1) The 2001 World Series, mostly because I've been a fan of the D-Backs franchise since its inception. I was living in Phoenix in 2001, and it was quite a series to behold. Unfortunately I didn't have sufficient funds at the time to be able to go to any of the home games between the D-Backs and Yankees. My dad and his longtime girlfriend WERE lucky enough to attend game 2 because my dad's friend, who was VERY well off financially at the time, WAS able to purchase tickets for the game. AND they got to see and hear Ray Charles perform America, the Beautiful. 2) The 2005 World Series, this one is my second favorite because the White Sox have been MY favorite team since 1970. The White Sox pitching just obliterated the Astros' hitters throughout the series, sweeping the hapless team from Texas in four straight games. 3) The 2016 World Series, yes, the Cubs finally ended their 108 year drought! And I AM a Cubs fan, as well as a White Sox fan. I've had SO many people tell me that I CAN'T be a fan of both teams, I'd be a rich man if I collected just a dollar each time this was mentioned, and sometimes HURLED at me! Anyway, it was VERY satisfying to see the Cubs FINALLY break "The Billy Goat Curse". The Cubs ARE my third favorite team, behind only the White Sox, my #1, and the D-Backs, my #2 team. 4) The 1979 World Series, although I wasn't a fan of either team at the time, the Pirates or the Orioles, this was a great series to watch. The "We Are Family" theme adopted by the Pirates during the series was cool. AND the Pirates came back from a 3-1 game deficit, winning the last 3 games of the series, to win it. 5) The 1969 World Series, the year of those "Amazin' Mets! I believe the Orioles were HEAVILY favored to win the series. But incredible pitching and great defense in the field to bolster that pitching, scored a major upset for the Mets. It WAS truly amazing! So, here are my 5 favorites, which are some of yours?

For me personally, the 1980 World Series. Phillies versus Royals. Phils in 6 games. There are many good series as written on this thread and others. Series that are personal favorites also. But some of them are not good even if they go the distance.

For me personally, the 1980 World Series. Phillies versus Royals. Phils in 6 games. There are many good series as written on this thread and others. Series that are personal favorites also. But some of them are not good even if they go the distance.
Yeah as a royals fan that would probably be my second World Series favorite.growing up george Brett was my favorite player and Pete rose my second so it was a major thrill for me when they finally faced each other in the world series :thup: especially after I had my heart broken when they missed playing the big red machine in 76 when the yankees beat the royals in the playoffs:confused: The reds were my second favorite team growing up so I also loved the 76 series watching the reds beat my hated Yankees four straight with only one of those games being close:biggrin::banana: my favorite of course would be the royals/ cardinals World Series.it was bittersweet beating whitey herzog:abgg2q.jpg::banana: he always made decisions that cost the royals from beating the Yankees inthe playoffs. I always knew he was the problem,once theygot rid of him,they finally did beat the Yankees just as I always knew they could.:biggrin::abgg2q.jpg:

Last edited:
Some other great World Series games that I loved were the twins,cardinals World Series of course since once again I got to see that idiot whitey herzog blow the series for the cardinals same as he did against the royals again:biggrin: the Red Sox/Mets, what an exciting series with the Red Sox just one strike away from winning It all.i also loved the oriels,pirates World Series as well,great classic. The two best World Series games ever played which many share that belief as well,sadly I never got to watch as most here probably did not either,is the 75 series of the reds against the Red Sox and the 72 series of the reds against the Oakland A,s. You just can’t top those Two would series games.:thup::)

Just wondering,didn’t you make a thread of favorite designated hitter players,if so,could you post the link here.

Some other great World Series games that I loved were the twins,cardinals World Series of course since once again I got to see that idiot whitey herzog blow the series for the cardinals same as he did against the royals again:biggrin: the Red Sox/Mets, what an exciting series with the Red Sox just one strike away from winning It all.i also loved the oriels,pirates World Series as well,great classic. The two best World Series games ever played which many share that belief as well,sadly I never got to watch as most here probably did not either,is the 75 series of the reds against the Red Sox and the 72 series of the reds against the Oakland A,s. You just can’t top those Two would series games.:thup::)
The Big Red Machine and the Lumber Company were the National League juggernauts in the the early to mid 1970's or so. I believe some teams have more karma then others. And the Cardinals have had that in most of their existence. 1985 excepted. It is a shame that money has taken over sports like baseball where smaller market teams have to do near everything right to be competitive. Great drafts and controlling the younger players while signing the right free agent players for a potential championship team is not an easy feat. The time frame can be short. Perhaps baseball will change its way of distributing revenues to include the local TV and radio contracts. But that does not seem likely.

The Big Red Machine and the Lumber Company were the National League juggernauts in the the early to mid 1970's or so. I believe some teams have more karma then others. And the Cardinals have had that in most of their existence. 1985 excepted. It is a shame that money has taken over sports like baseball where smaller market teams have to do near everything right to be competitive. Great drafts and controlling the younger players while signing the right free agent players for a potential championship team is not an easy feat. The time frame can be short. Perhaps baseball will change its way of distributing revenues to include the local TV and radio contracts. But that does not seem likely.
As I have said before,if the nfl was done the same way mlb is without revenue sharing,there is no way in hell small market teams like the packers,Vikings,and Steelers would be able to be inthe playoffs year after year as they are.

Arguably the one of the best World Series of all time....

20090826__pucket92.jpg

34-kirby-puckett.jpg

a-a-jack-morris-twins.jpg

20140104__140105-morris-cover.jpg

I was so grateful that the twins had home field advantage in that series cause they in that World Series,they were a much different team on the road than at home where they dominating,it was the same way all yeAr long.when they got out of the metronome,their bats would go to sleeo since they were not in the homer dome where home runs there were routine fly balls in mosr other ballparks.

The why is simple. I was there.

Was there through the playoffs as well. Was there for the 14-2 Game 1 assbeating of the BoSox that served notice that this was a for real team. Long, long game, read: many beers. Ended up hammered leaving the stadium with my old man and ran into a local news crew, I grabbed him and told him "lets get on TV". We ended up mugging well enough that we made the news, as I grabbed the front of the camera and stuck my shnoz up the sleeve, and was telling Boston to pack it back to Bean Town and Chicagoland "here comes Chicago, baby". Mom saw it and was pissed at how drunk we obviously were. Lol.

Was there for Konerko's Grand Slam in Game 2 of the WS, place blew up and the Sox never looked back. From that point it was theirs to lose. The fans knew it, they knew it, the Astros knew it. Will never forget it.

All told went to 4 playoff games and that Game 2, blew an absolute shitload of money on tickets and beer, and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Nothing better than October baseball.

Thanks to a baseball fan who suggested this idea, I present this query to you. Here are some of my favorites - 1) The 2001 World Series, mostly because I've been a fan of the D-Backs franchise since its inception. I was living in Phoenix in 2001, and it was quite a series to behold. Unfortunately I didn't have sufficient funds at the time to be able to go to any of the home games between the D-Backs and Yankees. My dad and his longtime girlfriend WERE lucky enough to attend game 2 because my dad's friend, who was VERY well off financially at the time, WAS able to purchase tickets for the game. AND they got to see and hear Ray Charles perform America, the Beautiful. 2) The 2005 World Series, this one is my second favorite because the White Sox have been MY favorite team since 1970. The White Sox pitching just obliterated the Astros' hitters throughout the series, sweeping the hapless team from Texas in four straight games. 3) The 2016 World Series, yes, the Cubs finally ended their 108 year drought! And I AM a Cubs fan, as well as a White Sox fan. I've had SO many people tell me that I CAN'T be a fan of both teams, I'd be a rich man if I collected just a dollar each time this was mentioned, and sometimes HURLED at me! Anyway, it was VERY satisfying to see the Cubs FINALLY break "The Billy Goat Curse". The Cubs ARE my third favorite team, behind only the White Sox, my #1, and the D-Backs, my #2 team. 4) The 1979 World Series, although I wasn't a fan of either team at the time, the Pirates or the Orioles, this was a great series to watch. The "We Are Family" theme adopted by the Pirates during the series was cool. AND the Pirates came back from a 3-1 game deficit, winning the last 3 games of the series, to win it. 5) The 1969 World Series, the year of those "Amazin' Mets! I believe the Orioles were HEAVILY favored to win the series. But incredible pitching and great defense in the field to bolster that pitching, scored a major upset for the Mets. It WAS truly amazing! So, here are my 5 favorites, which are some of yours?
I lost interest in baseball back in the mid ninetys when they started the three way wild card race plus the strike made it so that low market teams could not compete with the bigger market teams anymore and the fact they started tearing down classic ballparks fir new ones, a sin the owners will burn in hell for.

the only thing that kept my attention was the cubs,with them winning the World Series,there is nothing about baseball to look forward to anymore.

2002 World Series Angels beat the Giants 4-3
Best part was denying Barry 'Juice' Bonds from winning a world series

agreed Meister . The angels growing up were always my second favorite team after the royals. I Was so broken hearted when they lost in the playoffs in 79 and 82. 86 I was thrilled because they committed a. Time against humanity not bringing rod cArew back so justice was done that gene autry never got to see a World Series.

I really love the angels more so today than even back then though because not only did they just beat the giants and kept mr Roids Barry bonds from getting a world series ring but I also loved them that year as well because they ALSO knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs and kept them from going to the World Series. I love any team that knocks the Yankees out of the playoffs and keeps them out of the World Series but I hated the giants that year as much as the big market Yankees who represent everything that iswrong with baseball so beating Both those teams I so much hated that year,I really love the angels and always will now :biggrin: :dance::dance::thankusmile::yes_text12:

Last edited:
2002 World Series Angels beat the Giants 4-3
Best part was denying Barry 'Juice' Bonds from winning a world series

agreed. @
Yep, seeing Barry "Big Head" Bonds and his team lose WAS awesome.
Read the rest of that post and let me know your thoughts on it. The fact they beat the two teams I hated most that year,I will always love them for that,I hated the giants only cause of bonds but I will ALWAYS hate the Yankees,they represent everything that is wrong with baseball.

New Topics

Forum List

Back