Which Is Worse: Faked or Staged Photos in the MSM?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'm sorry, but the liberals failure to be outraged at these attempts to mislead people, is worse than 'Mission Accomplished'! At least there was the caveate of incremental. Links at site:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=22071_Photographer_Alleges_Unearthing_of_Bodies&only

Saturday, August 12, 2006
Photographer Alleges Unearthing of Bodies

From the international photographer’s forum Lightstalkers.org, photojournalist Bryan Denton, in a message from Beirut Lebanon, describes the most vile sort of photo staging imaginable: Lightstalkers :: Staged Shots from Lebanon? Please comment...

i have been working in lebanon since all this started, and seeing the behavior of many of the lebanese wire service photographers has been a bit unsettling. while hajj has garnered a lot of attention for his doctoring of images digitally, whether guilty or not, i have been witness to the daily practice of directed shots, one case where a group of wire photogs were choreographing the unearthing of bodies, directing emergency workers here and there, asking them to position bodies just so, even remove bodies that have already been put in graves so that they can photograph them in peoples arms. these photographers have come away with powerful shots, that required no manipulation digitally, but instead, manipulation on a human level, and this itself is a bigger ethical problem.

whatever the case is—lack of training, a personal drive as a photographer to show what is happening to your country in as powerful a way as possible, or all out competitiveness, i think that the onus is on the wire services themselves, because they act as the employer/filter of their photogs work. standards should be in place or else the rest of us end up paying the price. and i’m not against the idea of local wire photographers, but after seeing it over and over for the past month, i think it is something that is worth addressing. while i walk away from a situation like that, one wire shooter sets up a situation, and the rest of them follow.......​

by Bryan Denton Fri Aug 11 07:36:08 UTC 2006 | Beirut, Lebanon

UPDATE at 8/12/06 3:13:24 pm:

Bryan Denton’s work has appeared in The New York Times.
2:48 PM PDT

Forum List

Back