Where is Daryl Hunt

I have heard they have a less gamy tasted. Never a deer hunter. More into rabbit, squirrel, doves and quail. Somebody has to pay me to lay out waiting and watching in a concealed position in the cold and dark and then just plain friggin cold, whether I see anything or not. Did a lot of coon hunting when I was a teen ager. Cold and dark every time, but I got to move around and sometimes build a fire, waiting for the dogs to tree, sipping whiskey and telling lies.
Deer meat is NASTY. Jerky is "ok" but the meat is BEYOND nasty

My brother and I ask each other what we think about to pass the time. I doze off a lot, play on phone. Check Facebook. Just appreciate the fact I have free time enough to go up north and sit for hours in the woods. And constantly scanning for movement. They appear out of nowhere

i try walking looking for a deer. It’s hard but I’ve come close. One day I’ll see a deer standing still when I have a gun in my hand. It’s not very effective way to hunt but I like walking with my dog through the woods hoping to get lucky. They see you they run and you hope they stop for a second to see what you are.
Hey. Get that turkey license and take two guns to the stand.

Deer meat is NASTY. Jerky is "ok" but the meat is BEYOND nasty
Have had good and bad, depending on the deer, time of year and how it was prepared. In Germany, it was on the menu at good restaurants and delicious. If they don't get that game flavor out, you are right. It's nasty. Dad shot one in his pea patch, gutting it on the spot and immediately butchering and freezing. Worst meat I ever took a bite of and didn't take a second. It wasn't just gamy it was godawful.

Have had good and bad, depending on the deer, time of year and how it was prepared. In Germany, it was on the menu at good restaurants and delicious. If they don't get that game flavor out, you are right. It's nasty. Dad shot one in his pea patch, gutting it on the spot and immediately butchering and freezing. Worst meat I ever took a bite of and didn't take a second. It wasn't just gamy it was godawful.
My son in law just got his first dear a couple weeks ago. I warned him an my daughter it was awful. Needless to say it was cooked and EVERYONE hated it but him lol

My son in law just got his first dear a couple weeks ago. I warned him an my daughter it was awful. Needless to say it was cooked and EVERYONE hated it but him lol
Not surprising he liked his kill. There are a lot of deer here in TN and a lot of deer hunter (not me). They tell me whether good or bad starts in the field, then how it is processed, most having it done professionally that I know, then how it is soaked, handled and prepared in the kitchen. Brother-in-law just put one in the freezer, mostly in deer burger, mixed at the processor with beef fats, as deer doesn't have much fat and the fat is has retains the game flavor that is a deal breaker for many if not most.
We have entirely too dang many deer. In years past, I have had them bounce off my pickup and a full size van. My neighbor, 2 doors down, had her SUV totaled by a large deer, just Monday on I40 heading to work, teaching in Brownsville. They are moving around a lot right now. Watch out if you come Tennesseeing.

Hey. Get that turkey license and take two guns to the stand.
Why two guns? Because my Ruger 450 bushmaster is too much gun for a turkey? If I was going to shoot it I was going to aim for the head so I didn't destroy the body. But who knows if I'm that good of a shot I can hit a turkey head from 70 yards.

I need to buy more bullets and practice more next year. I should also probably buy a 22 so I can shoot small game. I have a 410 shotgun bird gun but that doesn't shoot too far. I would think a 22 is enough for a squirrel or rabbit.

Why two guns? Because my Ruger 450 bushmaster is too much gun for a turkey? If I was going to shoot it I was going to aim for the head so I didn't destroy the body. But who knows if I'm that good of a shot I can hit a turkey head from 70 yards.

I need to buy more bullets and practice more next year. I should also probably buy a 22 so I can shoot small game. I have a 410 shotgun bird gun but that doesn't shoot too far. I would think a 22 is enough for a squirrel or rabbit.
22s are still a lot of fun, and I've hunted rabbit in my earliest shooting days when dad was training me to shoot, squirrel hunted with a 22 many times after most of the leaves have dropped and, but worry about the range of that ammo at trajectory. Never had a 410, mostly thought of as a snake charmer down here. For birds (except duck/geese) or rabbits and squirrel I like a 20 gauge with modified choke for all around small game. It's also good for training kids and grandkids for shotgun shooting.

22s are still a lot of fun, and I've hunted rabbit in my earliest shooting days when dad was training me to shoot, squirrel hunted with a 22 many times after most of the leaves have dropped and, but worry about the range of that ammo at trajectory. Never had a 410, mostly thought of as a snake charmer down here. For birds (except duck/geese) or rabbits and squirrel I like a 20 gauge with modified choke for all around small game. It's also good for training kids and grandkids for shotgun shooting.
The 410 is great for kids. Hardly a kick to it. I would like to walk through the woods trying to kick up a rabbit, see a squirrel, quail, partridge, pheasant, turkey, porcupine, raccoon, possum

The only reason I would kill raccoon and possum is because my dog wants to fight with them. Porcupine too. Plus porcupine I hear destroy your trees. I've never seen one on my brothers property but my dog did. He had quills in his face so I know they are there.

I don't think I could ever shoot a coyote with the 410. It'd have to be close. Like trying to eat my dog right in front of me. Then maybe I could hurt it with the bb's that come out. I think it would do some damage.

I read this: When I was 11 years old, I was shot by a friend in the lower abdomen at point blank range with a 410 loaded with bird shot. I was lucky that barrel was at an outward angle, enough to avoid a straight on impact. Still, the shot tore a big hole in my belly exposing my intestines. I did not go down after being shot, instead I shouted ‘You shot me!” after which I ran out of the house intending to run home two blocks away. My friend and his brother stopped me in the alley, brought me back in their house, and called their mother who called a doctor who came to the house in his station wagon and took me to the hospital e-room. I have lead shot in my body that I have carried for almost 50 years. I share this to show that a 410 loaded with bird shot would probably stop a burglar, but may not be lethal, and may not stop a determined attacker. For what it is worth.

The 410 is great for kids. Hardly a kick to it. I would like to walk through the woods trying to kick up a rabbit, see a squirrel, quail, partridge, pheasant, turkey, porcupine, raccoon, possum

The only reason I would kill raccoon and possum is because my dog wants to fight with them. Porcupine too. Plus porcupine I hear destroy your trees. I've never seen one on my brothers property but my dog did. He had quills in his face so I know they are there.

I don't think I could ever shoot a coyote with the 410. It'd have to be close. Like trying to eat my dog right in front of me. Then maybe I could hurt it with the bb's that come out. I think it would do some damage.

I read this: When I was 11 years old, I was shot by a friend in the lower abdomen at point blank range with a 410 loaded with bird shot. I was lucky that barrel was at an outward angle, enough to avoid a straight on impact. Still, the shot tore a big hole in my belly exposing my intestines. I did not go down after being shot, instead I shouted ‘You shot me!” after which I ran out of the house intending to run home two blocks away. My friend and his brother stopped me in the alley, brought me back in their house, and called their mother who called a doctor who came to the house in his station wagon and took me to the hospital e-room. I have lead shot in my body that I have carried for almost 50 years. I share this to show that a 410 loaded with bird shot would probably stop a burglar, but may not be lethal, and may not stop a determined attacker. For what it is worth.
Ooh! Whoever that was about was extremely lucky and unlucky. Never point at anything alive, you are not willing and considering killing, but always use a tool suited to the job. Always consider burglars a threat in your home, because they are. If you shoot a burglar with a 410, and they leave the scene pissed off at you shooting them, they may be an even greater threat when they come back, but probably not bringing a 410 for you or your wife, or kids or somebody close to serve as payback for a job poorly done.

Even bad deer meat can be made to taste good if you grind it into sausage, after some soaking and with spices.

Forum List

Back