Where do you fit in the political typology?

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
We have a group quiz to compare to the rest of America

Are you a Core Conservative? A Solid Liberal? Or somewhere in between? Take our quiz to find out which one of our Political Typology groups is your best match compared with a nationally representative survey of more than 5,000 U.S. adults by Pew Research Center.

You may find some of these questions are difficult to answer. For example, you may partly agree with both statements, or feel that neither quite describes your view. That’s OK. In those cases, pick the answer that comes closest to your view, even if it isn’t exactly right.

link:
Political Typology Quiz

It rated me "filthy negro". I'm still trying to find out if that's good or bad.

Country First Conservative, but my decisions are more economically left of them and socially a little right of them.

"Disaffected Democrat"

Interesting to see the forum breakdown compared to the general public (although the sample size is obviously too small)

We have a group quiz to compare to the rest of America

Are you a Core Conservative? A Solid Liberal? Or somewhere in between? Take our quiz to find out which one of our Political Typology groups is your best match compared with a nationally representative survey of more than 5,000 U.S. adults by Pew Research Center.

You may find some of these questions are difficult to answer. For example, you may partly agree with both statements, or feel that neither quite describes your view. That’s OK. In those cases, pick the answer that comes closest to your view, even if it isn’t exactly right.

link:
Political Typology Quiz
no

I did take it but I don't consider the results valid because the questions were so lame and forced us into choices that might have little to do with how we feel about some complex issues.

Fair enough, I wouldn't take it that seriously. It's not some definitive proclamation about your political ideology or whatever. It's mostly just entertainment (and I say that as someone that loves Pew Research more than most).

When you say that the results were invalid in your view, do you just mean that you don't agree with the category they placed you in? Even if it's wrong in some sense, it might still be interesting to understand where the disagreement is, i.e. why do they interpret your answers on some questions to imply you belong in category X while you don't. At the very least it can be an interesting way to understand how different people think.

Where did you see that? (the forum breakdown)?

I clicked a few links to find it: Political Typology Quiz

Note that there are only 7 USMB respondents (as of this post) so it doesn't mean too much. Nevertheless the comparison bar chart is probably not that different from what you would expect just from reading the boards: a lot of core conservatives. And probably it tells you that the forum liberals are more attracted to internet quizzes than the forum conservatives :p

I did take it but I don't consider the results valid because the questions were so lame and forced us into choices that might have little to do with how we feel about some complex issues.

Fair enough, I wouldn't take it that seriously. It's not some definitive proclamation about your political ideology or whatever. It's mostly just entertainment (and I say that as someone that loves Pew Research more than most).

When you say that the results were invalid in your view, do you just mean that you don't agree with the category they placed you in? Even if it's wrong in some sense, it might still be interesting to understand where the disagreement is, i.e. why do they interpret your answers on some questions to imply you belong in category X while you don't. At the very least it can be an interesting way to understand how different people think.
I realize it's just entertainment, and I'm sure not accepting anything they say as "definitive" about me in any way.
No, they put me where you would expect, except that I didn't actually agree with well over half the choices I was forced to make.
So what does that make me, really? That's why I didn't think it was valid.

No, they put me where you would expect, except that I didn't actually agree with well over half the choices I was forced to make.
So what does that make me, really? That's why I didn't think it was valid.

Ah got it. I think it's understood that when you force people to pick between two options on complicated issues that they will often be unsatisfied with either option. But a lot of the point of the exercise is not that the answer you pick is supposed to reflect your individual opinion but that the set of answers you pick collectively lets someone predict which group you likely belong to, which is what you observed. The point is more the typology than the individual questions.

So I would agree that the wrong way to read the results would be to say that "aha, X% of people believe the only reason black Americans can't get ahead is racism!" Or things like that. It matters a lot that they ask people which of two statements they agree with more, and not just which do you agree with full stop. It requires a fair amount of background knowledge to interpret the results of individual questions reasonably, and the conclusions which can be meaningfully inferred from any specific question is limited. If asked my opinion I would also give a different, likely more nuanced, answer on every single question. But I also thought "disaffected democrat" seemed like a reasonable label for me, at a reasonable place on their spectrum. It's interesting how the sum is more than the parts in survey research like this.

Not prepared to participate where personal views may be used in unknown ways.

Forum List

Back