When petrolium runs out!

Vintij

Feb 13, 2007
Anaheim, CA
We all know petroleum is a non-renewable natural resource of energy that is vital to nearly all industries. How much do we consume? 32% of europes energy is consumed oil. 53% of the middle east... 41% of africa. and 40% of North americas natural energy consumption is oil.

Thats a total of 30 billion barrels of oil per year! Infact 24% of all oil consumed in 2004 went to the United States alone.

Putting the global warming facts aside with the large amount of C02 emitted into the air, what do we do when the natural resource of oil is consumed?

Here are the statistics. "This study placed the prospective life span of oil reserves in the middle east at 88 years, latin america at 37 years and North america at only 16 years! Oil exploration alone will not prevent future shortages of the resource. Resource economists argue that oil prices will rise as demand increases relative to supply, and that this will spur further exploration and development. However, this process will not increase the amount of oil in the ground, but will rather temporarily prolong production as higher prices to make it economical to extract oil that was previously not economically recoverable."

16 years left of oil in the US?! Why is there no concern? Can we at least research to come up with a cheaper way to use renewable energy? From the looks of it, we are goin to be in iraq for the next 88 years stealing oil if we consume at the rate we are going. Hybrid cars right now, are not efficient enough and cant be manufactured on a large scale without a large amount of money. Solar power even costs more than petrolium! So my question to everyone is, what are we going to do? Is it really so easy to just abandon our gas guzzling cars and use electric cars? Is it cheap? Will the profiteers of oil companies like George Bush, even care that this will happen so long as the price of gas will go up and the money still comes in? Will gasoline and large cars be something for only the rich and upper class when supply is almost gone? Will there be a cheap model T type hybrid car for everyone to run on electricity?

It isn't entirely true that oil is a non-renewable resource, just not renewable in a practical sense.

But the answer is quite simple. When oil runs out we will come up with something else. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Putting the global warming facts aside with the large amount of C02 emitted into the air, what do we do when the natural resource of oil is consumed?

You can't put something aside that doesn't exist in the first place (i.e. facts).

Here are the statistics. "This study placed the prospective life span of oil reserves in the middle east at 88 years, latin america at 37 years and North america at only 16 years! Oil exploration alone will not prevent future shortages of the resource. Resource economists argue that oil prices will rise as demand increases relative to supply, and that this will spur further exploration and development. However, this process will not increase the amount of oil in the ground, but will rather temporarily prolong production as higher prices to make it economical to extract oil that was previously not economically recoverable."

Those aren't statistics technically speaking. They are theories.

16 years left of oil in the US?! Why is there no concern?

Why should there be concern, when it's gone, it's gone and when it is we will come up with something else just like we always have.

Can we at least research to come up with a cheaper way to use renewable energy?

We are

From the looks of it, we are goin to be in iraq for the next 88 years stealing oil if we consume at the rate we are going.

Yeah I saw an oil tanker steaming out of there under cover night myself last week. Gimmie a break.

Hybrid cars right now, are not efficient enough and cant be manufactured on a large scale without a large amount of money. Solar power even costs more than petrolium! So my question to everyone is, what are we going to do?

What are we going to do about what? No oil? It is going to run out some time and when it does we will adapt. The sky is in fact not falling.

Is it really so easy to just abandon our gas guzzling cars and use electric cars? Is it cheap?

It isn't realistic at this point yet, no.

Will the profiteers of oil companies like George Bush, even care that this will happen so long as the price of gas will go up and the money still comes in?

Probably not as Bush will be dead long before this is an actual problem. But since we're on the topic what is so evil about him making a profit from his business?

Will gasoline and large cars be something for only the rich and upper class when supply is almost gone? Will there be a cheap model T type hybrid car for everyone to run on electricity?

Actually right now it is only the rich that can afford the hybrids and electrics. It will be and even is right now the other way around. You will notice the poor tend to have older, poorly cared for vehicles makeing them more hazardous to the environment than vehicles owned by wealthy people. The number one contributor of pollution by automobile isn't poor gas mileage by hummers, it's poorly maintained vehicles.

what you mean is ..... when oli runs out everywhere except alaska and the california coast what will we do?

Unbias points on this oil level world wide would be better and really having a grip on global warming would be another.
I'm all for other ideas that get away from oil consumption and dependance starting here in the US and working outward. The earth is like nature and it is going to do what it is going to do. Our help to offset some of our damage is a step in the right direction.
Need better data on the global warning from the the start of record keeping and you'll see it doesn't hold much truth to your comments....

Can't forget coconut oil too. But I reckon no tree hugers will protest that since it would ge 3rd world countries doing the harvesting:D

Olive oil for little clay lamps too...peanut oil, corn oil, canola oil, bacon grease, we got it all covered!

Damn right and we move on:clap2:

I would understand your argument had this been a global warming thread. I will say this, global warming does exist people... your arguments are that it does not exist when the statistics clearly state that it does. I think what you meant to say is that, consisten global warming does not exists. Because for the last century we have been up and down in terms of trapping the suns rays into the atmosphere creating a warming effect and releasing less energy out into the earth than we take in. In 1934-35 a study was conducted in the arctic on climate change and it so happens that those were the warmest years to date, since then it has fluctuated yet maintained a balance through the last 80 years. Our arguments are that in the last 5 years, there has been no slowing down, or any signs of climate cooling at all. Right now i would agree that there is nothing to worry about but in 4-5 years if the climate does not balance itself out like in the past, then we really do have a problem.

Get your research straight, climate change does exists. You cant prove that it does'nt if i have seen the proof.

Contact me for any reference and i will show you.

lol. You gotta love the attitude of most of the people who answered in this thread hey Vintij?

My favorite was, "When we run out, we'll just figure something else out".

Oh really? lol. In other words, we'll just consume, consume, consume, and destroy, destroy, destroy? lol.

F-ck the animals, f-ck the oil, f-ck everything right? lol.

Man I gotta tell ya, I really hope this Pole-Shift happens after all. So we can get wiped back into the stone age or somethin similar. And have to learn the lesson all over again. Since we obviously screwed up this time. AGAIN!!!

Nothing makes me more angry, than people who just don't care.

I would understand your argument had this been a global warming thread. I will say this, global warming does exist people... your arguments are that it does not exist when the statistics clearly state that it does. I think what you meant to say is that, consisten global warming does not exists. Because for the last century we have been up and down in terms of trapping the suns rays into the atmosphere creating a warming effect and releasing less energy out into the earth than we take in. In 1934-35 a study was conducted in the arctic on climate change and it so happens that those were the warmest years to date, since then it has fluctuated yet maintained a balance through the last 80 years. Our arguments are that in the last 5 years, there has been no slowing down, or any signs of climate cooling at all. Right now i would agree that there is nothing to worry about but in 4-5 years if the climate does not balance itself out like in the past, then we really do have a problem.

Get your research straight, climate change does exists. You cant prove that it does'nt if i have seen the proof.

Stop being such a chicken little. "Climate change" has existed for eons. It's nothing new. Just be glad that we're in a phase where the earth is warming instead of cooling. Or maybe you would be glad to have ice covering Chicago hundreds of feet thick? Instead you can look forward to the lush tropical weather that the dinosaurs enjoyed. :cool:

I am inclined to agree. But I believe the term Global Warming has come to be defined differently and is being used differently then what the term on its own implies. When people like Al Gore say global warming is real, they don't mean to say 'hey the earth is getting warmer'. They mean to say the Earth is getting warmer and it is entirely the fault of humans and I believe there is plenty of room left for scientific debate on that topic.

lol. You gotta love the attitude of most of the people who answered in this thread hey Vintij?

My favorite was, "When we run out, we'll just figure something else out".

As opposed to what, exaclty? What other option is there? Oil will run out at some point, at which point an alternative fuel will be needed? What exactly do you propose at that point?

Oh really? lol. In other words, we'll just consume, consume, consume, and destroy, destroy, destroy? lol.

Dude, attempt to lean right and be objective. That isn't even close to what I said. However, even at the most basic level, humans must consume to survive. So in a sense yes, we will just keep on consuming. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER ORGANISM ON THE PLANET.

F-ck the animals, f-ck the oil, f-ck everything right? lol.

NW, it's called a debate. To successfully participate in one you must decipher what someone actually said, not what it is most convenient for you to hear.

Man I gotta tell ya, I really hope this Pole-Shift happens after all. So we can get wiped back into the stone age or somethin similar. And have to learn the lesson all over again. Since we obviously screwed up this time. AGAIN!!!

Nothing makes me more angry, than people who just don't care.

At no point did I ever come close to implying that I don't care. You really need to attempt to hear people instead of just making up you want to hear.

All good points Bern.

Only, I would not compare Human Beings to every other organism on Earth. There is no comparison.

We are soley responsible for watching over the Planet. And making sure there is a balance between using what we need and making sure we don't use too much.

We have failed in this respect.

We are overextending the planet's resources. We are not paying enough attention to the animals. We have already crossed the line, and soon it will be time to pay the price for all of that.

All good points Bern.

Only, I would not compare Human Beings to every other organism on Earth. There is no comparison.

We are soley responsible for watching over the Planet. And making sure there is a balance between using what we need and making sure we don't use too much.

We have failed in this respect.

We are overextending the planet's resources. We are not paying enough attention to the animals. We have already crossed the line, and soon it will be time to pay the price for all of that.

I guess I just don't see the same future you do. We are far more aware of our effect on the environment then we were 50 yrs ago. Over that time our fuel efficiency has improved drastically, we have learned that many items we use can be recycled. As a country, we have made very significant strides in terms of our stewardship to the environment. It isn't the U.S. that you should be pointing the finger at when it comes dangers to our environmental future. You should be pointing your finger at countries like China and other developing countries who's factories our spewing pollution into air primarily because they don't have the technology we have.

I beleive as a country we have crossed a line as well. As a country I believe we are past are worst environmental abuses and things will only get better.

Shortly after this post I started reading "Unstopable Global Warming". I strongly suggest everyone read it. Within in the first 10 pages it debunks this whole notion that their is scientific consensus on man made global warming. It is well researched, most of which comes from peer reviewed journals.

I guess I just don't see the same future you do. We are far more aware of our effect on the environment then we were 50 yrs ago. Over that time our fuel efficiency has improved drastically, we have learned that many items we use can be recycled. As a country, we have made very significant strides in terms of our stewardship to the environment. It isn't the U.S. that you should be pointing the finger at when it comes dangers to our environmental future. You should be pointing your finger at countries like China and other developing countries who's factories our spewing pollution into air primarily because they don't have the technology we have.

I beleive as a country we have crossed a line as well. As a country I believe we are past are worst environmental abuses and things will only get better.

Maybe someday we can even get liberals to support building the 500 or so large nuclear plants we need to stop importing oil.

Forum List

Back