When McCarthyism Came to a Small Town in Vermont

I have been pointing that out for decades. That almost everything known of that era is a complete lie.

Want to see a Braindead nutcase lose their mind? Ask them how many people in Hollywood that Senator McCarthy put on the blacklist.

Then when they give you their number, calmly explain to them as if they are children that was actually the Democratic Party in the House, and it was the House Unamerican Activities Commission. Specifically, it was Congressman Edward J. Hart (D) of New Jersey that led it. Being a Senator and not a Congressman, Joe McCarthy had not a damned thing to do with that. And his only interest was in government employees, and nobody else. It was the Democratic led House that went after every day people.

Then ask them to explain how one of the most powerful and influential members of his team was Senator John F. Kennedy (D) from Massachusetts, and the attorney that oversaw the investigations was Robert Kennedy. And neither John nor Robert Kennedy ever attacked, denounced, nor spoke badly of Senator McCarthy or the investigations.
Didn't mean to steal your thunder Mush, I was just relating my own thoughts.

Didn't mean to steal your thunder Mush, I was just relating my own thoughts.

Tis all cool.

Myself, you should know that for the most part I am damned near in the middle of things politically, and tend to laugh at both of the extremes politically. And one thing I have noticed over the years of being on board like this. For some reason the "Far Left" is much more bitter and angry, and will attack anything that they do not agree with. Even believing outright fabrications if it makes them feel better.

HUAC was a going thing long before McCarthy. McCarthy was just another opportunist, a former New Dealer who saw the votes some other pol was getting via 'Red baiting' so he switched to raving further his own career. This was an era where a lot of ideologues were peddling a lot of nonsense built around a few legitimate facts, and a lot of it was being financed by the Big Rich and big corporations, and both 'liberals' and 'conservatives' were on their way to promoting monopolies and 'Technocracy' over 'populism' and 'anti-trust' legislation. People like Galbraith, Bork, and Friedman were being hired and paid by 'think tanks' to advocate doing away with the New Deal restrictions on banks and monopolies that allowed a big middle class to thrive and start up businesses and increase competition. They used propaganda targeted at their respective ideological bases, but the essentials they all agreed on, that both govt. and the economy should be run by technocrats and the elites, and the 'little people' should be shut out of any real political and economic decision making.

Eisenhower was the last President who supported anti-trust laws; JFK was a True Believer in Technocracy and so were all who followed him into the White House. People like Buckley, McCarthy, and that wing were well financed; they weren't 'popular uprisings', and neither were the 'Watergate Babies' who came along in the 1970's and finished off the last of the New Dealers like Wright Patman.

Forum List

Back