When in Rome.....

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
OK, so ISIS has promised to take their reverse-crusade to Rome. Given the ineffective world response to these misunderstood, underemployed, random violence prone folks to what might we look forward.

Remember, Rome is a treasure trove of art of all vintages. Some of it going back thousands of years. Yes, some of it in the hands of the Roman Cathoilic Church, so hated by American liberals. So they could make a case for what's to come. But not all of it is in "religious" hands. Will THAT art be safe?

According to this news item, not bloody likely:

New IS video shows militants smashing ancient Iraq artifacts - Israel News Ynetnews

"The Islamic State group released a video on Thursday showing militants using sledgehammers to smash ancient artifacts in Iraq's northern city of Mosul, describing the relics as idols that must be removed"

"The destructions are part of a campaign by the IS extremists who have destroyed a number of shrines - including Muslim holy sites - in order to eliminate what they view as heresy"

OK, so ISIS has promised to take their reverse-crusade to Rome. Given the ineffective world response to these misunderstood, underemployed, random violence prone folks to what might we look forward.

Remember, Rome is a treasure trove of art of all vintages. Some of it going back thousands of years. Yes, some of it in the hands of the Roman Cathoilic Church, so hated by American liberals. So they could make a case for what's to come. But not all of it is in "religious" hands. Will THAT art be safe?

New IS video shows militants smashing ancient Iraq artifacts - Israel News Ynetnews

"The Islamic State group released a video on Thursday showing militants using sledgehammers to smash ancient artifacts in Iraq's northern city of Mosul, describing the relics as idols that must be removed"

"The destructions are part of a campaign by the IS extremists who have destroyed a number of shrines - including Muslim holy sites - in order to eliminate what they view as heresy"
Liberals hate Pope Francis. I'll be sure to tell that to my card carrying sister in law. LOL

Republicans hate Catholics at least as much as any Liberal. Far more so if you look at their sick vitriol against Pope Francis.

yeah, well, when I first clicked on the thread I figured it was another one about sodomy, so .... even the liberal angle/bs of the OP could be worse.

So...We're already worrying about art and other "stuff" and not actual Romans?

All art has been digitally stored. It's physical loss would be bad but not like in times prior.

59530160.jpg

They will tear down the pyramids and the Sphinx when they take Egypt.

I'm going to Rome later this year

Took my wife there for her birthday just about a year ago. She's addicted; that was her third trip and she's ready for another.

I'd argue that St. Paul Outside-the-Walls is the most beautiful (architecturally) church in Rome. Not as fancy (read "gaudy") as most. Just a quiet beauty:

St-Paul-Outside.jpg

Outside - as above - is nice but inside is so different from most and very few go there so no crowds and you can savor the beauty of it at your leisure.

Forum List

Back