When dual citizenship becomes conflict of interest

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
Lets try this again because it is worth discussing:
By contrast, dual citizenship creates conflict of interest through divided loyalties. Thus it would seem reasonable to require that dual citizen members of Congress, the judiciary and the executive be required to renounce citizenship in another country as a condition of public service.
Or even allow people with dual citizenship to hold any political office or military position.

By contrast, dual citizenship creates conflict of interest through divided loyalties. Thus it would seem reasonable to require that dual citizen members of Congress, the judiciary and the executive be required to renounce citizenship in another country as a condition of public service.
Or even allow people with dual citizenship to hold any political office or military position.

And when they don't even know that they have dual citizenship?

The Constitution lays out the requirements for President, Congress and the Senate.

So you are you proposing a Constitutional amendment?

Or just general social pressure- like how Presidential candidates used to feel pressure to release their income tax returns to show that they don't have any conflict of interest?

Seriously if they are that much i the dark they should not hold any political office.

it's ridiculous --you either love America or go some where else.....

One would only hope,However if they are in Congress they might work some policy that might help their second country over what is best for America

We have a lot of foreign nationalities serving in our military. I don't see this as much of a problem below certain ranks and in certain MOS positions, but yes, they should be barred from some of the sensitive jobs, and certainly barred from Federal office, elected or non-elected.

One would only hope,However if they are in Congress they might work some policy that might help their second country over what is best for America
..there should be NO dual citizenship..none

I don't think the U.S. does recognize it in a legal sense, but many countries do, like Great Britain, for instance, considers Americans born there as dual citizens even if those who fall into that category personally recognize it or not. Many other countries have the same laws. You don't have to do anything to have that status except be born there, its not a choice. A friend of mine was born in London when his father was stationed there in the Air Force, and has it. He's also never been there since, but they still consider him a citizen, even though they can't tax him because the U.S. government doesn't recognize that status, unless they've changed it and I missed the story.

I don't think the U.S. does recognize it in a legal sense, but many countries do, like Great Britain, for instance, considers Americans born there as dual citizens even if those who fall into that category personally recognize it or not. Many other countries have the same laws. You don't have to do anything to have that status except be born there, its not a choice. A friend of mine was born in London when his father was stationed there in the Air Force, and has it. He's also never been there since, but they still consider him a citizen, even though they can't tax him because the U.S. government doesn't recognize that status, unless they've changed it and I missed the story.
..I say if the other country recognizes it, you should be stripped of the American citizenship....

..I say if the other country recognizes it, you should be stripped of the American citizenship....

Great strategy.

So if France declares Donald Trump a French citizen- he is no longer eligible to ber President- right?

Seriously if they are that much i the dark they should not hold any political office.

LOL- too scared to even address the fact that it would take a Constitutional amendment to do what you suggest?

I is old. I read the islamo-Nazi literature that showed up in seedy little pamphlet type
things ALL OVER my somewhat Nazi-ish town when I was a child-----starting about nine years old. My town was in a part of the USA known for Nazi encampments ---
Edison New Jersey-------named for its favorite son----the diehard Adolf ass-licker was in walking distance-------I was a child in the 1950s ---1960s At that time a
very prominent part of the islamo Nazi propaganda included the CLAIM that Zionists had forced congress to declare a VERY SPECIAL LAW for JEWS ONLY------that was the right to have "DUAL CITIZENSHIP" -------in fact anyone in the USA can have dual (or triple or quadruple.....) citizenship if the OTHER country allows it. The term
"DUAL CITIZENSHIP" when farted out by ANYONE is the same as asserting
I AM A NAZI PIG

LOL- too scared to even address the fact that it would take a Constitutional amendment to do what you suggest?
Explain your thoughts on why it wold take a Constitutional amendment to implement it

There is no conflict of interest. The loyalty of the dual citizen belongs completely to the other country.

There is no conflict of interest. The loyalty of the dual citizen belongs completely to the other country.

how do you define "other country" -------most of the dual citizens I have encountered are from DA BRITISH COMMONWEALTH------whatevah da-hell
dat was. Many SPIT when they say 'england'. It is not clear to me that any
of the persons in Congress actually have "dual citizenship"------?????

Some are probably whining about Jews having an automatic right to Israeli citizenship, but as for members of the legislature John McCain was a dual citizen of the U.S. and Panama, and there are others, Dan Crenshaw, and of course the Muslim terrorists Minnesota and some other states sent to Congress, but mainly it's about DA JOOOOOOOOS !!!! from what I gather from a search. They conflate Israel's open door policy to all Jewish people with 'dual citizenship', apparently.

But as is usual for you and your Chassidic racists, it's about how 'unfair' Evul Xians N Stuff were not allowing Jews and Muslims to leave with all the loot they stole during their invasion and plundering of Spain.

Ted Cruz and Michelle Bachmann 'renounced' theirs, though they were just posturing, neither ever voted in a foreign election as far as anybody knows.

Last edited:

Explain your thoughts on why it wold take a Constitutional amendment to implement it

It wouldn't take an Amendment, and in fact there used to be a law on the books about voting in a foreign election counted as forfeiting your U.S. citizenship. It was repealed in 1967, for some reason I haven't looked into yet. Afroyim v. Rusk ...

Afroyim v. Rusk - Wikipedia

Afroyim v. Rusk, 387 U.S. 253 (1967), is a landmark United States Supreme Court case in which the Court ruled that citizens of the United States may not be deprived of their citizenship involuntarily.[1][2][3] The U.S. government had attempted to revoke the citizenship of Beys Afroyim, a man born in Poland, because he had cast a vote in an Israeli election after becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen. The Supreme Court decided that Afroyim's right to retain his citizenship was guaranteed by the Citizenship Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. In so doing, the Court struck down a federal law mandating loss of U.S. citizenship for voting in a foreign election—thereby overruling one of its own precedents, Perez v. Brownell (1958), in which it had upheld loss of citizenship under similar circumstances less than a decade earlier.

The Afroyim decision opened the way for a wider acceptance of dual (or multiple) citizenship in United States law.[4] The Bancroft Treaties—a series of agreements between the United States and other nations which had sought to limit dual citizenship following naturalization—were eventually abandoned after the Carter administration concluded that Afroyim and other Supreme Court decisions had rendered them unenforceable.

The impact of Afroyim v. Rusk was narrowed by a later case, Rogers v. Bellei (1971), in which the Court determined that the Fourteenth Amendment safeguarded citizenship only when a person was born or naturalized in the United States, and that Congress retained authority to regulate the citizenship status of a person who was born outside the United States to an American parent. However, the specific law at issue in Rogers v. Bellei—a requirement for a minimum period of U.S. residence that Bellei had failed to satisfy—was repealed by Congress in 1978. As a consequence of revised policies adopted in 1990 by the United States Department of State, it is now (in the words of one expert) "virtually impossible to lose American citizenship without formally and expressly renouncing it."[5]

... Muslims sniveling bout DA JOOOOS!!! are most of the problem:

While acknowledging that "American citizenship enjoys strong protection against loss under Afroyim and Terrazas", retired journalist Henry S. Matteo[89] suggested, "It would have been more equitable ... had the Supreme Court relied on the Eighth Amendment, which adds a moral tone as well as a firmer constitutional basis, than the Fourteenth." Matteo also said, "Under Afroyim there is a lack of balance between rights and protections on one hand, and obligations and responsibilities on the other, all four elements of which have been an integral part of the concept of citizenship, as history shows."[90] Political scientist P. Allan Dionisopoulos wrote that "it is doubtful that any [Supreme Court decision] created a more complex problem for the United States than Afroyim v. Rusk", a decision which he believed had "since become a source of embarrassment for the United States in its relationships with the Arab world" because of the way it facilitated dual U.S.–Israeli citizenship and participation by Americans in Israel's armed forces.[91]

After his Supreme Court victory, Afroyim divided his time between West Brighton (Staten Island, New York) and the Israeli city of Safed until his death on May 19, 1984, in West Brighton.[92][93]

Personally I wouldn't have let Afroyim into the U.S. at all, and the same for Muslims; both have a violent ideology fit only for sociopaths.

Last edited:

how do you define "other country" -------most of the dual citizens I have encountered are from DA BRITISH COMMONWEALTH------whatevah da-hell
Easy,,,,,If it is anything other than the United States

Easy,,,,,If it is anything other than the United States

ok----For the USA-----that's lots and lots and lots of Irish people----and persons
from southeast Asia -----even lots of muzzies----including Iranian muzzies. Are
you willing to face muzzie supporters like ILHAN OMAR and LINDA SARSOUR
on this issue? Linda claims she is a "Palestinian"-------Ilhan seems to have
Somali citizenship Do you know if any other congress people are "DUALIES"?
Sorry to inform you -------a ban on DUALIENESS will affect more muzzies than
JOOOOOS. You know how they feel about being "insulted"

Forum List

Back