CDZ When does human life begin?

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Science tells us that a human life begins at conception when a new human being - who has never existed before and will never exist again - comes into existence. How do we know? DNA

You know, considering that Adam wasn't considered "alive" until God blew the Breath of Life into him, I think that when you draw your first breath, that is when you are "alive".

You know, considering that Adam wasn't considered "alive" until God blew the Breath of Life into him, I think that when you draw your first breath, that is when you are "alive".

Good point.

Interesting that christians disagree with god.

And Jesus was born the moment the Holy Spirit overshadowed the Virgin Mary on the feast of the Annunciation, March 25th.

Last edited:
Adam was created, not born. And "alive" and "not alive" are not matters of opinion.

Science says otherwise.

Characteristics of living things

The 7 Characteristics of Life

"After fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being...[this] is no longer a matter of taste or opinion, it is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence...." - Dr Jerome LeJeune, Professor of Genetics at the University of Descartes, Paris, discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down's Syndrome, and Nobel Prize Winner, Report, Subcommittee on Separation of Powers to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 97th Congress, 1st Session 1981

"An individual human life begins at conception when a sperm cell from the father fuses with an egg cell from the mother, to form a new cell, the zygote, the first embryonic stage. The zygote grows and divides into two daughter cells, each of which grows and divides into two grand-daughter cells, and this cell growth/division process continues on, over and over again. The zygote is the start of a biological continuum that automatically grows and develops, passing gradually and sequentially through the stages we call foetus, baby, child, adult, old person and ending eventually in death. The full genetic instructions to guide the development of the continuum, in interaction with its environment, are present in the zygote. Every stage along the continuum is biologically human and each point along the continuum has the full human properties appropriate to that point."
Dr. William Reville, University College Cork, Ireland

Two questions to answer.

Is it human?

Is it alive?
Yes and yes. See post #7.

Now let me take that one step further. It is a specific human being. One that is unique. One that has never existed before and will never exist again. How do we know this? DNA.

Science tells us that at conception it is:

1. He or She is Alive
2. He or She is a Human Being
3. He or She is a Specific Person

I just knew I was 9 months older than my birth certificate...
So, if women throw a birthday party for their unborn child as soon as they find out they're pregnant it will mean that the unborn are "alive?"

Good point.

Interesting that christians disagree with god.
Or it could be that it would not be expected for you to understand a religion that is not your own. Now if you don't mind... the topic is "When does human life begin?" The topic is not religious beliefs. I am making a scientific argument, not a religious argument. There is another forum for religion. This ain't it.

Its moot.

A man's body is his own.
A woman's body is her own.

No one has the right to say otherwise or to force either men or women to reproduce against their will.

For those who are against abortion, you have three choices:
1. Have a vasectomy
2. Adopt unwanted children
3. Don't have an abortion

Whatever you chose, MYOB

Two questions to answer.

Is it human?

Is it alive?
Yes and yes. See post #7.

Now let me take that one step further. It is a specific human being. One that is unique. One that has never existed before and will never exist again. How do we know this? DNA.

Science tells us that at conception it is:

1. He or She is Alive
2. He or She is a Human Being
3. He or She is a Specific Person
15056268_340355929665819_8298857291135637931_n.jpg

Its moot.

A man's body is his own.

No one has the right to say otherwise or to force either men or women to reproduce against their will.

1. Have a vasectomy

Whatever you chose, MYOB
First of all we aren't discussing abortion. We are discussing when human life begins. And secondly, you are wrong, it is not her body. Science tells us that it is a new human being that has never existed before. One that was created at conception. Science tells us that it is not a body part of someone else. But if you want to discuss abortion, maybe you should go and create a different thread to discuss that, ok?

Its moot.

A man's body is his own.

1. Have a vasectomy

Whatever you chose, MYOB

That makes as much sense as saying if you if you think murder is so bad then just don't do it.

Don't use the excuse there are older children orphans not being adopted to deny the fact there are more than a million infertile couples on waiting lists who wish to adopt infants. Adoption Statistics and Facts | Child Adoption Facts

If life begins at conception, does that make all those frozen zygotes contained in freezers,at in vitro fertilization clinics human beings? When those clinics purge their freezer space, are they committing mass murder?

If life begins at conception, should a pregnant woman claim her embryo as a dependent on her taxes before she gives birth? Can a woman pregnant with twins legally drive in the HOV lane?

If life begins at conception, does that make all those frozen zygotes contained in freezers,at in vitro fertilization clinics human beings? When those clinics purge their freezer space, are they committing mass murder?

If life begins at conception, should a pregnant woman claim her embryo as a dependent on her taxes before she gives birth? Can a woman pregnant with twins legally drive in the HOV lane?
Those are some great questions. Unfortunately, the only one we are discussing in this thread is when human life begins, ok? If you want to discuss the other ones, start a thread, I'll comment there, fair enough?

The answer to your question is yes. They would be human beings. Science has made that determination and I would assume you don't have any scientific evidence to the contrary, right? I think an important aspect of what you raise is would they qualify as being alive after they have been frozen. What do you think about that?

Do you believe they meet the 7 characteristics of living things. I would argue that once they are frozen they could not be considered to meet #3-7. What do you think?

The 7 Characteristics of Life

Forum List

Back