When did the US become so easily offended?

There’s plenty of sensitive feelings on both sides of the aisle.

I absolutely agree that a lot of people on the left are overly sensitive.

But just whisper the word “white privilege” to someone on the right and you’ll see a lot of outrage.

It’s present on both sides and I wish it would improve, but I don’t know how to make it so. Anyone trying to argue that one side does it more than the other is wasting their time and missing the point.
I think some on the right go too far the other direction and want everything said to be ok.

I always say do your best not to offend someone but do even better not to get offended. Look at what cancel culture has done:

• Lady Antebellum: Established in 2006 and many hit songs. No one cared about the name until the George Floyd riots. Suddenly it was offensive and the group had to change the name to Lady A.
  • Dixie Chicks: Name is suddenly offensive? Formed in 1989!!! No one had an issue with it and now its offensive?
  • Lana Del Rey: She didn't take it well when people said that her songs don't empower women. The artist tried to make a point on Instagram and said that many other female artists didn't do that. She named Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé, but her followers didn't take it well.

People highlighted that it was not a good thing that she tried to throw other singers under the bus. They also called her racist, since most names Lana del Rey mentioned were black singers. She denied she was racist, but the hashtag #lanadelreycist was on trending topics, and she was canceled.
  • Doja Cat: Some videos of Doja Cat taking part in racist chat rooms made the hashtag #dojacatisoverparty also trend on Twitter this year. People also remembered that one of her songs had racist expressions, and once again, she was accused of racism. Some fans pointed out that Doja Cat didn't engage in conversations, and tried to make the hashtag #WeAreSorryDoja trend the next day.

In May, she used her Instagram to talk about it and said she was never involved in a racist conversation and reminded everyone she is also a black woman.
  • Vanessa Hudgens: She is a big Coachella fan, and she didn't take it well when the festival was canceled this year due to the pandemic. In a video on Instagram, the actress said that "Even if everybody gets it, like yeah, people are going to die, which is terrible... but inevitable?"

It didn't take long until she regrets her words. People on the internet quickly canceled the actress, and she later apologized, but people are still not convinced.
  • JK Rowling: The best-seller author was accused of being transphobic due to a post on Twitter. It wasn't the first time people accused Rowling of being transphobic, and even Emma Watson and Rupert Grint expressed that they disagreed with Rowling on this point.

The author later signed an open letter that criticizes cancel culture. She was not alone, and 150 other public figures endorsed the letter.
  • Sebastian Stan was canceled because of his girlfriend. Some time ago, she posted a picture of her and a friend dressed as geishas with the caption "Asian Night." Sebastian Stan commented on the image and people were upset because he didn't mention it was cultural appropriation.

The actor started blocking some people who were posting about the photo, and soon the hashtag #sebastianstanisoverparty was created
  • We all know about Gina Carano and Chris Harrison

Here are some more:

At what point do people say enough is enough?!?!?! Seriously? Why are we suddenly so easily offended?
It has nothing to do with being "offended" or the "cancel culture" myth.

It's necessary, warranted debate as to what is or is not appropriate discourse in private society.

I always say do your best not to offend someone but do even better not to get offended. Look at what cancel culture has done:

• Lady Antebellum: Established in 2006 and many hit songs. No one cared about the name until the George Floyd riots. Suddenly it was offensive and the group had to change the name to Lady A.
  • Dixie Chicks: Name is suddenly offensive? Formed in 1989!!! No one had an issue with it and now its offensive?
  • Lana Del Rey: She didn't take it well when people said that her songs don't empower women. The artist tried to make a point on Instagram and said that many other female artists didn't do that. She named Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé, but her followers didn't take it well.

People highlighted that it was not a good thing that she tried to throw other singers under the bus. They also called her racist, since most names Lana del Rey mentioned were black singers. She denied she was racist, but the hashtag #lanadelreycist was on trending topics, and she was canceled.
  • Doja Cat: Some videos of Doja Cat taking part in racist chat rooms made the hashtag #dojacatisoverparty also trend on Twitter this year. People also remembered that one of her songs had racist expressions, and once again, she was accused of racism. Some fans pointed out that Doja Cat didn't engage in conversations, and tried to make the hashtag #WeAreSorryDoja trend the next day.

In May, she used her Instagram to talk about it and said she was never involved in a racist conversation and reminded everyone she is also a black woman.
  • Vanessa Hudgens: She is a big Coachella fan, and she didn't take it well when the festival was canceled this year due to the pandemic. In a video on Instagram, the actress said that "Even if everybody gets it, like yeah, people are going to die, which is terrible... but inevitable?"

It didn't take long until she regrets her words. People on the internet quickly canceled the actress, and she later apologized, but people are still not convinced.
  • JK Rowling: The best-seller author was accused of being transphobic due to a post on Twitter. It wasn't the first time people accused Rowling of being transphobic, and even Emma Watson and Rupert Grint expressed that they disagreed with Rowling on this point.

The author later signed an open letter that criticizes cancel culture. She was not alone, and 150 other public figures endorsed the letter.
  • Sebastian Stan was canceled because of his girlfriend. Some time ago, she posted a picture of her and a friend dressed as geishas with the caption "Asian Night." Sebastian Stan commented on the image and people were upset because he didn't mention it was cultural appropriation.

The actor started blocking some people who were posting about the photo, and soon the hashtag #sebastianstanisoverparty was created

Here are some more:

At what point do people say enough is enough?!?!?! Seriously? Why are we suddenly so easily offended?
It has nothing to do with being "offended" or the "cancel culture" myth.

It's necessary, warranted debate as to what is or is not appropriate discourse in private society.

:auiqs.jpg:

What exactly is "private society"?

Free speech is a right guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. Period. There is no "except when not appropriate to - " sub-amendment included in the amendment.

Any right that can be regulated by law is not a right, but a granted privilege, subject to cancellation.

60 years of the slow creeping disease of liberalism is why we are here now. This is what happens when decisions are made based on feelings instead of facts,reality and common sense.

Here are some more:

If you don't like political correctness, then:

FUCK OFF FAGGOT!!!
Are you hitting on me again? sorry dude, I am married and straight.

No, I told you to FUCK OFF.

Please stop defiling yourself!

That's what your wife is for.....
You seem angry? Need a safe space? LOL Why so bitter?

Here are some more:

FUCK OFF FAGGOT!!!

I think that your being overly sensitive.

Here are some more:

FUCK OFF FAGGOT!!!

You think? First time for everything. If I were sensitive I d fire back. I am concerned about you so I am gauging if you’re OK.

The good news is that people are speaking their minds.

The bad news is how far they are taking that concept...

Here are some more:

FUCK OFF FAGGOT!!!

You think? First time for everything. If I were sensitive I d fire back. I am concerned about you so I am gauging if you’re OK.

I didn't realize that you were such a sensitive, caring girlie type of guy.....

Man up and admit that you fell right into my trap!

:abgg2q.jpg:

Here are some more:

FUCK OFF FAGGOT!!!

I didn't realize that you were such a sensitive, caring girlie type of guy.....

Man up and admit that you fell right into my trap!

:abgg2q.jpg:
Trap? I am pretty sure I didn't respond with any swears or overt insults. Just subtle hints...I actually saw it coming a mile away. You are very predictable.

Here are some more:

Several years ago enough was enough. I stopped listening at a certain point and I think it is past time for people to tune out those that apparently have way too much time on their hands. I want to point out that JK Rowling was not cancelled as the publisher listened to what the very small group that worked there had to say and then told them to get bent and they were going to publish her book anyway.

Here are some more:

The Democrat Hate, Racism and Violence really started escalating under Obama

Here are some more:

The Democrat Hate, Racism and Violence really started escalating under Obama
I believe it was under Bernie Sanders. The fact that Lady Antebellum and the Dixie Chicks were shamed into changing their names is ridiculous.

If you want to really piss off a young under 40 year old lib just say "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never harm me" They have been taught to hate that in public school...its fighting words to them...so is "Land of the free and home of the brave"...if you want to know what's wrong with America today look at the public schools and teachers unions....

Forum List

Back