When did the US become so easily offended?

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA

I always say do your best not to offend someone but do even better not to get offended. Look at what cancel culture has done:

• Lady Antebellum: Established in 2006 and many hit songs. No one cared about the name until the George Floyd riots. Suddenly it was offensive and the group had to change the name to Lady A.
  • Dixie Chicks: Name is suddenly offensive? Formed in 1989!!! No one had an issue with it and now its offensive?
  • Lana Del Rey: She didn't take it well when people said that her songs don't empower women. The artist tried to make a point on Instagram and said that many other female artists didn't do that. She named Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé, but her followers didn't take it well.

People highlighted that it was not a good thing that she tried to throw other singers under the bus. They also called her racist, since most names Lana del Rey mentioned were black singers. She denied she was racist, but the hashtag #lanadelreycist was on trending topics, and she was canceled.
  • Doja Cat: Some videos of Doja Cat taking part in racist chat rooms made the hashtag #dojacatisoverparty also trend on Twitter this year. People also remembered that one of her songs had racist expressions, and once again, she was accused of racism. Some fans pointed out that Doja Cat didn't engage in conversations, and tried to make the hashtag #WeAreSorryDoja trend the next day.

In May, she used her Instagram to talk about it and said she was never involved in a racist conversation and reminded everyone she is also a black woman.
  • Vanessa Hudgens: She is a big Coachella fan, and she didn't take it well when the festival was canceled this year due to the pandemic. In a video on Instagram, the actress said that "Even if everybody gets it, like yeah, people are going to die, which is terrible... but inevitable?"

It didn't take long until she regrets her words. People on the internet quickly canceled the actress, and she later apologized, but people are still not convinced.
  • JK Rowling: The best-seller author was accused of being transphobic due to a post on Twitter. It wasn't the first time people accused Rowling of being transphobic, and even Emma Watson and Rupert Grint expressed that they disagreed with Rowling on this point.

The author later signed an open letter that criticizes cancel culture. She was not alone, and 150 other public figures endorsed the letter.
  • Sebastian Stan was canceled because of his girlfriend. Some time ago, she posted a picture of her and a friend dressed as geishas with the caption "Asian Night." Sebastian Stan commented on the image and people were upset because he didn't mention it was cultural appropriation.

The actor started blocking some people who were posting about the photo, and soon the hashtag #sebastianstanisoverparty was created
  • We all know about Gina Carano and Chris Harrison

Here are some more:

At what point do people say enough is enough?!?!?! Seriously? Why are we suddenly so easily offended?

I always say do your best not to offend someone but do even better not to get offended. Look at what cancel culture has done:

• Lady Antebellum: Established in 2006 and many hit songs. No one cared about the name until the George Floyd riots. Suddenly it was offensive and the group had to change the name to Lady A.
  • Dixie Chicks: Name is suddenly offensive? Formed in 1989!!! No one had an issue with it and now its offensive?
  • Lana Del Rey: She didn't take it well when people said that her songs don't empower women. The artist tried to make a point on Instagram and said that many other female artists didn't do that. She named Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé, but her followers didn't take it well.

People highlighted that it was not a good thing that she tried to throw other singers under the bus. They also called her racist, since most names Lana del Rey mentioned were black singers. She denied she was racist, but the hashtag #lanadelreycist was on trending topics, and she was canceled.
  • Doja Cat: Some videos of Doja Cat taking part in racist chat rooms made the hashtag #dojacatisoverparty also trend on Twitter this year. People also remembered that one of her songs had racist expressions, and once again, she was accused of racism. Some fans pointed out that Doja Cat didn't engage in conversations, and tried to make the hashtag #WeAreSorryDoja trend the next day.

In May, she used her Instagram to talk about it and said she was never involved in a racist conversation and reminded everyone she is also a black woman.
  • Vanessa Hudgens: She is a big Coachella fan, and she didn't take it well when the festival was canceled this year due to the pandemic. In a video on Instagram, the actress said that "Even if everybody gets it, like yeah, people are going to die, which is terrible... but inevitable?"

It didn't take long until she regrets her words. People on the internet quickly canceled the actress, and she later apologized, but people are still not convinced.
  • JK Rowling: The best-seller author was accused of being transphobic due to a post on Twitter. It wasn't the first time people accused Rowling of being transphobic, and even Emma Watson and Rupert Grint expressed that they disagreed with Rowling on this point.

The author later signed an open letter that criticizes cancel culture. She was not alone, and 150 other public figures endorsed the letter.
  • Sebastian Stan was canceled because of his girlfriend. Some time ago, she posted a picture of her and a friend dressed as geishas with the caption "Asian Night." Sebastian Stan commented on the image and people were upset because he didn't mention it was cultural appropriation.

The actor started blocking some people who were posting about the photo, and soon the hashtag #sebastianstanisoverparty was created

Here are some more:

At what point do people say enough is enough?!?!?! Seriously? Why are we suddenly so easily offended?
The offended are a minority exaggerated by Gay owned media outlets.

Too many angry people with too much time on their hands. And with the internet they are really loud and have lots of reach.
thats your people in a nutshell,,,
My people don’t care about every little offense. Neither do I.
reality says different,,,
More proof that Liberals are mentally ill.
Not a liberal.

Too many angry people with too much time on their hands. And with the internet they are really loud and have lots of reach.
Trump breathes and you lose it.
I talk about his policy, that is hardly a small offense. He added bigly to the deficit.
You talk about way more than that.
I don't blame any President for spending money on an infrastructure as large as old as the US.

Here are some more:

Great thread.
While I think it is good for people to start questioning old things we accepted or took for granted, and examined them more closely, cancel culture does not do that. Instead it is the exact opposite and is censorship to prevent thought or discussion.
The name "Dixie Chicks" for example, should not have been about the word "Dixie". Dixon was just one of the surveyors who mapped out the US, and should be famous and his name used for a region.
The problem should be with "Chicks", since it sort of has an airhead connotation. It still acceptible to me, but only as a sort of sarcastic humor.

Never should there be any attempt to censor or pile on.
That means attacking without an intent of changing their opinion, and is the wrong thing to do. Canceling someone accomplishes nothing but generate hate back, which then is deserved. Trying to elighten and change opinion is good, but then one has to accept that the too might just be wrong.

Trump breathes and you lose it.
I talk about his policy, that is hardly a small offense. He added bigly to the deficit.
You talk about way more than that.
I don't blame any President for spending money on an infrastructure as large as old as the US.
That wasn’t the spending...

Forum List

Back