When did Christianity invent hell and god’s imaginary condemnation of man?

GreatestIam

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2012

I have read where god cursed the ground, Gen 3;17, cursed is the ground for thy sake. Nowhere do I see where god condemned or cursed mankind directly.

When and why did Christianity invent the notions and lies surrounding hell and man’s condemnation?

Was it to loosen our purse strings or just to use fear as a tool of social manipulation and control?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x296qzz

Why do the gullible still believe this obvious lie?

Regards
DL

"Christians" didn't invent these. The imagery of "heaven" and "hell" are part of human commonality; they are everywhere in time and space throughout the ages that we know anything about.
All these images must be taken as simply the inherent, 'hard-wired' human mind. It has been called collective unconscious. If that isn't programming, it certainly resembles it.
Of course, there is nothing to prove, in any sense that even a majority would accept, that the Christian version is wrong.

I have read where god cursed the ground, Gen 3;17, cursed is the ground for thy sake. Nowhere do I see where god condemned or cursed mankind directly.

When and why did Christianity invent the notions and lies surrounding hell and man’s condemnation?

Was it to loosen our purse strings or just to use fear as a tool of social manipulation and control?

Regards
DL
It’s more complicated of a subject than you can handle. Which is why you asked it in such a amazingly stupid fashion.

Regards
DL
It’s more complicated of a subject than you can handle. Which is why you asked it in such a amazingly stupid fashion.

Not really. Hell first appeared in the Christianity in the Apocalypse of Peter written in the second century that largely mirrored imagery used by Homer, Plato and the like based on Jesus' reference to the site where garbage was burned. Early Christians believed as the Jehovah Witnesses do today--hell does not exist. The unworthy just cease to exist.

Regards
DL

Not really. Hell first appeared in the Christianity in the Apocalypse of Peter written in the second century that largely mirrored imagery used by Homer, Plato and the like based on Jesus' reference to the site where garbage was burned. Early Christians believed as the Jehovah Witnesses do today--hell does not exist. The unworthy just cease to exist.
What Did Early Christians Believe about Hell?

Regards
DL

Your own source says its sources are not authoritative

Regards
DL

The sources are what they are; representative of early Christian beliefs. They are not authoritative of what hell actually is.

Early Christians did not believe as you said they did.

You can always provide your non-authoritative sources. Because my sources are from early Christians who were discussing their beliefs about hell.

Personally I don’t go beyond heaven is being eternally united with God and hell is being eternally separated from God.

Regards
DL

The sources are what they are; representative of early Christian beliefs. They are not authoritative of what hell actually is.

You can always provide your non-authoritative sources. Because my sources are from early Christians who were discussing their beliefs about hell.

No your source specifically says their writings "are neither canonical nor authoritative". I already referred you to the Apocalypse of Peter which is believed to have been written before all your source's non-authoritative sources except perhaps one.

c. 100-125 B.C. "The Apocalypse of Peter is the earliest Christian reference to the afterlife, describing in vivid detail the paradise of Heaven and the torments of Hell. The work is quite early, for it was referenced by Clement and likely used by the author of the Apocalypse of Paul; It may even predate the canonical Apocalypse (Revelation) of John. The book was included in the Muratorian Canon (c.200 C.E.) as well as the Codex Claramontanus. It is difficult to speculate why it fell out of favor in the orthodox church, except perhaps that it was often associated with the heretical Gospel of Peter. " The Apocalypse Of Peter

No your source specifically says their writings "are neither canonical nor authoritative". I already referred you to the Apocalypse of Peter which is believed to have been written before all your source's non-authoritative sources except perhaps one.

c. 100-125 B.C. "The Apocalypse of Peter is the earliest Christian reference to the afterlife, describing in vivid detail the paradise of Heaven and the torments of Hell. The work is quite early, for it was referenced by Clement and likely used by the author of the Apocalypse of Paul; It may even predate the canonical Apocalypse (Revelation) of John. The book was included in the Muratorian Canon (c.200 C.E.) as well as the Codex Claramontanus. It is difficult to speculate why it fell out of favor in the orthodox church, except perhaps that it was often associated with the heretical Gospel of Peter. " The Apocalypse Of Peter
But not the only one. And given the weight of all of them, it’s pretty clear early Christians did not believe as you say. Being canonical or not is irrelevant.

You keep saying that they are not authoritative like we shouldn’t weigh them. As near as I can tell your only measure for authoritative is canonical which means nothing.

But not the only one. And given the weight of all of them, it’s pretty clear early Christians did not believe as you say. Being canonical or not is irrelevant.

You keep saying that they are not authoritative like we shouldn’t weigh them. As near as I can tell your only measure for authoritative is canonical which means nothing.
There is no basis to believe that Jesus' contemporaries believed in hell. None. Not a single one. Jesus was Jewish. Sheol in the jewish tradition is a place of non-existence outside of God's presence, and predates Christianity by centuries.

There is no basis to believe that Jesus' contemporaries believed in hell. None. Not a single one. Jesus was Jewish. Sheol in the jewish tradition is a place of non-existence outside of God's presence, and predates Christianity by centuries.
And yet they did believe that there would be a reward and punishment at death. The rest is semantics.

And yet they did believe that there would be a reward and punishment at death. The rest is semantics.

No it isn't semantics as they believed the punishment was to not be in God's presence which is far cry different than and eternity of being conscious and tortured in fire and brimstone for all of eternity.

No it isn't semantics as they believed the punishment was to not be in God's presence which is far cry different than and eternity of being conscious and tortured in fire and brimstone for all of eternity.
It’s the same definition we use today.

Heaven is being eternally united with God. Hell is being eternally separated from God. It’s in the catechism.

So early Christians believed that heaven was being eternally united with God and that hell was being eternally separated from God.

The same beliefs we hold today.

100-125 B.C. would coincide with the Chinese christ, Jizu (che qi) 'a group of soldiers' shown in the Han star charts (Kistemaker et al, The Chinese Sky During the Han), evidence for transmission along the Silk Road.

Forum List

Back