'Wheel of Fortune' host Pat Sajak faces backlash for making fun of contestant with a speech impediment

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
From what I'm reading here, this type of comment was unnecessary. He's been on the air for too long, he's bored going through the motions I suppose. Maybe his reptilian brain is more in control now, he's digressing back to his teen years.

"Wheel of Fortune" host Pat Sajak upset a number of viewers on Monday when he seemingly mocked a contestant with a speech impediment.

The longtime game show host was trying to keep things light during Monday’s show as he was introducing contestants. While doing so, Sajak spoke with contestant Chris Brimble. After explaining to the host what he does for a living, it became clear to viewers and the host that Brimble speaks with a slight lisp.

Sajak heard him out and even commented on the importance of his job, bringing technology to older adults. However, the host concluded the brief interview by saying "I thee" instead of "I see."

While Brimble simply laughed the moment off, viewers who were upset about the Sajak's apparent mockery of the contestant’s speech impediment took to Twitter to voice their outrage.

"Did @patsajak just mock one of the contestants??" one user wrote.

"@patsajak Hey d----bag, say a cheap shot making fun of a contestant with a lisp. I teach speech therapy. You have been on the air for far too long. It's time for you to retire. Your sarcasm is offensive and only funny to idiots such as yourself," added one particularly angry viewer.

"Hopefully you learned by your mistake and stop making fun of those with a lisp. As a woman who has lived all her life with one (and my parents put me in speech classes when I was first going to school as a youngster), I find it appalling that you do that kind of crap," a third user wrote.

"As someone your age, who grew up with hearing impaired cousins, I was taught that we NEVER made fun of their speech pattern. To this day I wouldn't even think of doing what you did so don't get on your 'exemplary' high horse about it. You were 100% wrong. Own it and DO BETTER!"

Making fun of the contestant wasn't the right thing to do; however, it is a very small thing to get upset about in the grand scheme of things. I say this as someone who grew up with speech impediments and I have been made fun of many hundreds if not thousands of time myself.

Good to see Fox News is staying true to their name - and giving us the news.

...Wheel of Fortune gametime news. Hard hitting stuff.

I am glad that Republicans like mocking people with minor problems, they follow their leader.

ASERXF7A4M34REPLRFRZS2QM2Q.gif

I can't see stuff like this being done to make a person feel bad. If anything, it could be done to make them feel better if it wasn't just done by accident that is.

God bless you and Pat and the contestant always!!!

Holly

P.S. Them people who jumped all over Pat sound like those who do nothing but turn everything into something bad whether it truly is something bad or not as if there is nothing better out there for them to do.

From what I'm reading here, this type of comment was unnecessary. He's been on the air for too long, he's bored going through the motions I suppose. Maybe his reptilian brain is more in control now, he's digressing back to his teen years.

"Wheel of Fortune" host Pat Sajak upset a number of viewers on Monday when he seemingly mocked a contestant with a speech impediment.

The longtime game show host was trying to keep things light during Monday’s show as he was introducing contestants. While doing so, Sajak spoke with contestant Chris Brimble. After explaining to the host what he does for a living, it became clear to viewers and the host that Brimble speaks with a slight lisp.

Sajak heard him out and even commented on the importance of his job, bringing technology to older adults. However, the host concluded the brief interview by saying "I thee" instead of "I see."

While Brimble simply laughed the moment off, viewers who were upset about the Sajak's apparent mockery of the contestant’s speech impediment took to Twitter to voice their outrage.

"Did @patsajak just mock one of the contestants??" one user wrote.

"@patsajak Hey d----bag, say a cheap shot making fun of a contestant with a lisp. I teach speech therapy. You have been on the air for far too long. It's time for you to retire. Your sarcasm is offensive and only funny to idiots such as yourself," added one particularly angry viewer.

"Hopefully you learned by your mistake and stop making fun of those with a lisp. As a woman who has lived all her life with one (and my parents put me in speech classes when I was first going to school as a youngster), I find it appalling that you do that kind of crap," a third user wrote.

"As someone your age, who grew up with hearing impaired cousins, I was taught that we NEVER made fun of their speech pattern. To this day I wouldn't even think of doing what you did so don't get on your 'exemplary' high horse about it. You were 100% wrong. Own it and DO BETTER!"
Good god, the world's gone soft.

Forum List

Back