What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

If a democrat does it it is freedom of speech, if a republican does it it is vile and extremist to the inth degree.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

The flag, to me, is a symbol of unity. I live in a land where we all have many different ideologies and agendae. We all have different priorities. We all have different goals. We all have different peeves. We have different ancestors, we have different nationalities of origin.

We all have one thing in common. The flag. It is a sign of unity.

I am one that believes in compromise. I am a conservative but who the hell ever said all must live as I do? That is not a conservative value (ironically). Freedom to be who you are is a conservative value.

But in the end, whether we are moderate, liberal or consertvaitve, the flag stands alone as a uniter. It should never be treated with a lack of respect. Its all we got.

Best I got Marc. From my heart. Have fun with it.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about the stars and stripes, the venerated flag of the U.S. As a fellow who was a righty and is now much more libertarian here are my view(s) on this subject. They apply to a number of other subjects as well.

There are 50 state legislatures out there who are quite capable in dealing with this issue, it does not need a single national answer created in Congress. Nor do they need an single national answer imposed on them by the SCOTUS.

Every state has laws dealing with destroying the property belonging to another and there is no reason that they cannot be applied to burning a flag when it belongs to somebody other than the actor.

If some fool wants to lay down the money to buy one, and then torch it, it is his money, his loss.

If a state were to make it a citation (ticketable) offense to stomp the dogshit out of somebody who burns a flag, well, that should be up to that state's legislature. Should the state legislature also limit the civil damages for stomping a mudhole in somebody's ass when they burn a flag, well that would be up to them as well.

Last edited:
Thank you Marc.
What I criticized in a different post? Goes both ways.
Regards.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZzeEaBHUBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZzeEaBHUBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Actually, I think both sides view it pretty much the same: an attack on a powerful and beloved symbol for the purpose of being shocking and offensive. It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

Who thinks it's a "good" thing to do? Most do it to make a specific point. It's the choice and freedom to do so that is good.

Last edited:

Actually, I think both sides view it pretty much the same: an attack on a powerful and beloved symbol for the purpose of being shocking and offensive. It's just that one side views that as a good thing to do, and the other doesn't.

I understand your point, but I disagree...in no way do I believe the both sides view it the same or even pretty much the same.

RWers seem to get incensed whenever it occurs, meanwhile LWers seemto chuckle. Two opposite sides of the spectrum.

I would never burn the flag, but I think it represents the best part of our country.
I think it is worse when you disrespect the flag by flying it the wrong way, or not disposing of it when it is worn out.

It's great that we live in a country where it isn't illegal to burn the flag.

I agree. Freedom of expression is a great thing.

It is sad that one must express hatred for their country, however.

I am not happy with the policies of this administration, but I repsect the president as he is my president and I respect my country as it is the most free and most prosperous in the world.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..

I would never burn the flag, but I think it represents the best part of our country.
I think it is worse when you disrespect the flag by flying it the wrong way, or not disposing of it when it is worn out.
Yep.

One of my neighbors is flying both the US flag and the confederate flag on the same pole. I guess it's legal but it makes me laugh. Maybe he's trying to make a political point.

It's great that we live in a country where it isn't illegal to burn the flag.

I agree. Freedom of expression is a great thing.

It is sad that one must express hatred for their country, however.

I am not happy with the policies of this administration, but I repsect the president as he is my president and I respect my country as it is the most free and most prosperous in the world.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..
I don't think people that burn the flag hate the country. It's more that they disapprove of what their country is doing in their name.

New Topics

Forum List

Back