What's wrong with this headline?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
15-year-old gets two to six years for 7-cent robbery

A 15-year-old Syracuse boy will spend the next two to six years in juvenile detention and the rest of his life as a felon as a result of his sentencing today for a robbery that netted him and an accomplice seven cents.

According to prosecutors, Stewart and Ninham ran up behind the victim Dec. 22 and knocked him to the ground. Ninham kicked the victim and Stewart punched him in the face, breaking his glasses, before the victim handed over the seven cents in his pocket, prosecutors said. The two teens had handguns, which Stewart later said were BB guns, prosecutors said.

...Walsh said he might have ruled differently if Stewart had pleaded guilty, as did his accomplice

Syracuse 15-year-old gets two to six years for 7-cent robbery | syracuse.com

Do they have no scruples?

Never trust a headline. Headlines are designed to grab a reader's attention, not to accurately reflect the detail of the story.

Whenever I see something like that, I always suspect there's a lot more to the story. Drudge plays with headlines, as does other internet news sites and tabloids. But I don't expect newspaper reporters to. I remember one a while back that said "14 year old arrested for texting in class". It was from the Smoking Gun. Turns out, as I suspected, she attacked the teacher and refused to leave. That's what she was arrested for. These editors need to go back to journalism school.

Whenever I see something like that, I always suspect there's a lot more to the story. Drudge plays with headlines, as does other internet news sites and tabloids. But I don't expect newspaper reporters to. I remember one a while back that said "14 year old arrested for texting in class". It was from the Smoking Gun. Turns out, as I suspected, she attacked the teacher and refused to leave. That's what she was arrested for. These editors need to go back to journalism school.

It's not normally a reporter that writes the headline. Often, the reporter will file the story with a different headline and an editor will re-write it - usually to make it more 'emotional'. Whether it accurately reflects the information or not is of no consequence. It is one of the things that pisses me off about 'news'.

Forum List

Back