What's with Palin being included in most Republican Primary polls?

If Palin doesn't run, whoever she endorses will likely get a big boost.

I can sorta see the logic in putting her in the poll from this perspective.

I seriously doubt she will run. But the majority of her supporters are brain dead automatons. Therefore it is kinda helpful to predict a little bit how much of a boost one of the other candidates will get when/if she backs one. 'Cause most of her supporters will blindly then become cheerleaders for that candidate.

Well, except those guys have 1) Said they are definitively not running (I mean Christie and Ryan. I still haven't checked with "Fuck Anyone".) and 2) don't have the stature of perviously having been on a Presidential Ticket.
I admittedly haven't checked the status of Christie and Ryan on their decision to enter or not, but that's semantics because they were just examples, and in fact they were at one time in consideration to enter and were never included in any past polls.

And again your logic is flawed. Since when does previously being on a presidential ticket have to do with poll inclusion? That logic removes everyone from the list of choices except her.

Well, it isn't semantics because the fact they've eliminated themselves from contention means there's no point in asking. Mitch Daniels was included before he decided not to run. So was Mike Huckabee. In fact, Huckabee was leading many polls. Donald Trump was included for those few weeks he decided to pull everyone's chain.

Guiliani was included until quite recently. I'm not sure why they stopped including him, even though he hasn't declared one way or the other as far as I know.

So inclusion I think is a factor of

1) Have you declared definitively if you are not running.
2) Do you have major name recognition due to being on a previous ticket, ran previously, or have the resources to run an effective campaign. So, yeah, Palin is a bigger threat than Gary Johnson or that McCotter guy, who are "declared" candidates no one pays attention to.

This is fair enough I guess. But one thing to consider is that if they stopped including all those other ones, specifically Giuliani since he hasn't said anything either way, why still continue including Palin?

It just doesn't make sense to go to the trouble of selecting a sample of voters and working your way through all of them until you get enough to actually respond to be able to release a relevant and usable poll, and offer choices that aren't even official choices.

I seriously doubt she will run. But the majority of her supporters are brain dead automatons. Therefore it is kinda helpful to predict a little bit how much of a boost one of the other candidates will get when/if she backs one. 'Cause most of her supporters will blindly then become cheerleaders for that candidate.

I don't see the logic in it at all. This gives the pollsters the ability to collect a certain amount of potential support and then indirectly, or even directly, affect the race when she officially backs out and they remove her from the choices.

Now the pollsters have singlehandedly given her the ability to send 11% of republican voter support to one specific candidate, rather than those 11% already having chosen other candidates separately and independently.

I don't see the logic in it at all. This gives the pollsters the ability to collect a certain amount of potential support and then indirectly, or even directly, affect the race when she officially backs out and they remove her from the choices.

Now the pollsters have singlehandedly given her the ability to send 11% of republican voter support to one specific candidate, rather than those 11% already having chosen other candidates separately and independently.

You're saying that the pollsters are telling those 11% to vote for Palin?

I think those 11% would do it anyway.

Also, I'm thinking of the polling the candidates are doing themselves. From a tactical POV, it would be good to know how many of her supporters are out there to determine whether or not to court her endorsement.

Also, I'm thinking of the polling the candidates are doing themselves. From a tactical POV, it would be good to know how many of her supporters are out there to determine whether or not to court her endorsement.

No I'm saying they're giving her the ability to officially gather a certain amount of likely votes that she can send to one candidate.

I'm fine with individual polls conducted by the campaigns, those aren't really official and individually they have their own motives for how and why they each conduct a poll.

No I'm saying they're giving her the ability to officially gather a certain amount of likely votes that she can send to one candidate.

I'm fine with individual polls conducted by the campaigns, those aren't really official and individually they have their own motives for how and why they each conduct a poll.

I don't think they're giving her the ability to gather votes.

I'm quite prepared to believe that 11% of the population was already retarded prior to the polling.

I don't think they're giving her the ability to gather votes.

I'm quite prepared to believe that 11% of the population was already retarded prior to the polling.

Yeah I'm sure they were, in fact I'd say the number is much higher. But I still think the 11% she's getting in these polls would otherwise be spread around among the field had those 11% not been given the specific choice of Palin. Because now, as you said yourself, they will most likely now mindlessly flock to the one candidate she endorses instead of possibly having chosen more critically out of the entire field.

Forum List

Back