What's the most important thing government does?

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.

Obviously, govt is here to protect our rights. The Declaration of Independence names some of them, and the Constitution (Bill of Rights) names others. And those aren't the only rights we have.

But the Fed govt does NOT have the right to take money from some people and spend it on yet another group. The so-called "Welfare clause" in Art. 1 Sec. 8 makes that illegal. And the fact that the Fed govt violates that clause regularly, doesn't change it.

What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.

Government exists to make and enforce the laws that the People want.

Nope. To make and enforce laws via the Constitution, not merely what people want.

On a national level I'd put these as my top 5, off the top of my head:

1. On top of the list I'd put develop and enforce regulations ensuring its citizens access to clean air and water. The people's right to healthy breath and drink should not be infringed.

2. Organization of a national defense that is strong enough to defend the nation yet not so empowered to enslave the population.

3. Similar to the first one, establish and enforce federal standards for the safe commerce of food and medical drugs.

4. For the common good regulate transportation, build and maintain roads. Maintain an organized aviation authority to provide safe conduct within the nation's air space and build/maintain public highways with standardized safety regulation. Part of this would be the nation's official timekeeper, established to standardize time for purpose of rail and air safety.

5. Organize a monetary system that provides and enhances commerce throughout the country. Regulate banking and sales of stocks securities to necessary level worthy of the public's trust.

Nope. To make and enforce laws via the Constitution, not merely what people want.

People decide what is in the Constitution, and how it is interpreted. I'm not surprised you don't know that.

The people of California wanted marriage between one man and one woman. It was called Prop 8. I guess it is there to enforce the laws that liberals want and not those they don't.

Government's main function:

Federal:

Protect the nation and our interests in the world
Act as custodian of the national lands
Act as an arbitrator in disputes between the States.

State:

There is no single answer to State functions. Each state can and does set its own standards of law and behavior.

The people of California wanted marriage between one man and one woman. It was called Prop 8. I guess it is there to enforce the laws that liberals want and not those they don't.

Government's main function:

Federal:

Protect the nation and our interests in the world
Act as custodian of the national lands
Act as an arbitrator in disputes between the States.

State:

There is no single answer to State functions. Each state can and does set its own standards of law and behavior.

The people of California are one fraction of the people.

People decide what is in the Constitution, and how it is interpreted. I'm not surprised you don't know that.

This is nonsense, the SCOTUS unilaterally interprets the Constitution, not the people.

You don't believe that the people of California also want courts in California and at the federal level to determine the constitutionality of laws?

This is nonsense, the SCOTUS unilaterally interprets the Constitution, not the people.

So your position is that Neil Gorsuch has no business interpreting the Constitution because he wasn't put there by the People?

funny

Government does what is needed to be done as determined by We the People

Forum List

Back