What's the best way to stop corruption?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I'd like to hear ideas on what the best way to stop corruption would be. I put this in the Religion and Ethics forum because I don't care about what you think about a certain political party. Corruption exists in every organization. And to some degree in every person. So how do we stop and minimize it the best?

This is a tough one. You can say lobbyist but in some aspect they play a good role but of late not much.

Complete open books at any time could help.

True campaign reform. I mean No DOLLARS SPENT. I mean us tax payers are subsidizing NPR and the Post Office, why not all campaign ads and debates be on that network free, and leaflets sent out free twice for each candidate.

Doing away with absentee ballots completely, allowing Military to vote via whatever base installation they are assigned. Everyone else should register to vote in the state they live, if they are not going to be there...Oh FUCKING well they don't vote.

Not allowing any 3rd party organizations register to vote. If elderly or others cannot get to the DMV to pick up an application they are to call their local board of elections. They will mail one to them, if they cannot fill it out themselves, then they must request in writing as to why. Then I'm sure someone from the board of elections can take their sorry ass over to their house to help them fill it out.

The best way to control abuse of of power over time, interestingly, is the mortality of man. While it is very human to need to have something to look forward to, individually the end for each of us will be death.

While that preamble may have sounded a bit morbid, the concept of maturity really depends on our ability to see beyond our own mortality, and beyond our own pleasure, to see the beauty of the future that we build for others. Inversely, the abuse of power is the inability to see beyond our needs to satisfy the needs of the masses; to see beyond our own needs and insecurities to help others.

"Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely"
What can be done for the majority to deal with abuses of power?
How would the people take power back from corrupt leaders?
Assuming that the population is educated and mature, which is a big assumption, courage is required to face those in power.

Stand up and say NO. Just like a spoiled child, or an abusive husband, the enabler is really the abused. Don't take it lying down! Teach everyone you know that there's a certain truth in freedom and democracy, and stand up for your rights!

I'd like to hear ideas on what the best way to stop corruption would be. I put this in the Religion and Ethics forum because I don't care about what you think about a certain political party. Corruption exists in every organization. And to some degree in every person. So how do we stop and minimize it the best?

Step 1. Make lobbying for a fee a capital crime...

Step 2. Move the bulk of political decisions closer to the people. At the very least, Congress-critters should be forced to be accessible and in the district they represent for at least 270 days a year and learn to use a phone to 'confer' with each other.

Wouldn't entirely solve the problem of corruption, but those two steps would stop some of the bleeding.

Now... the $64 question: How do you convince 535 money grubbing salesmen with law degrees that less is more? :eusa_think:

This is a tough one. You can say lobbyist but in some aspect they play a good role but of late not much.

True campaign reform. I mean No DOLLARS SPENT. I mean us tax payers are subsidizing NPR and the Post Office, why not all campaign ads and debates be on that network free, and leaflets sent out free twice for each candidate.

Doing away with absentee ballots completely, allowing Military to vote via whatever base installation they are assigned. Everyone else should register to vote in the state they live, if they are not going to be there...Oh FUCKING well they don't vote.

Not allowing any 3rd party organizations register to vote. If elderly or others cannot get to the DMV to pick up an application they are to call their local board of elections. They will mail one to them, if they cannot fill it out themselves, then they must request in writing as to why. Then I'm sure someone from the board of elections can take their sorry ass over to their house to help them fill it out.

Write me a letter telling me why you can't write your name and address? :eusa_think:

:lol:

Write me a letter telling me why you can't write your name and address? :eusa_think:

:lol:

Good idea on the campaign reform!

(Thanks for the chuckle... :lol:)

I've had the un-priviledge of watching corruption up close more than once. How could it have been prevented?

* Election reform.

* Overhaul government accounting rules. You think public accounting allows for creative bookkeeping? It has nothing on government accounting.

* Protect and incentivise whistleblowers and make sitting idly by while Rome burns a crime after the fact. You want to be a government employee? Fine by me...but then you look after my money as if it were your own.

* Disenfranchise government employees. Do away with all forms of civil service,union, etc. Prevent nepotism through extremely strong standards for hiring, retention and discipline.

* Pierce governmental immunity and make corrupt or grossly negligent government employees personally liable for the harm or waste they cause.

* Provide standing to any citizen to sue for waste or harm, etc.

* End the revolving door between private industry and government employees. Theirs are not eligible to work for the government and they are not permitted to hire former government employees (or to use them as independent contractors).

* Eliminate almost all barriers to freedom of information, open meetings, etc. Freedom abhors secret proceedings.

* Prevent any government employee beyond the clerical level from remaining on the payroll beyond two terms. Or, alternatively, review the decision to retain an employee at least every eight years.

I've had the un-priviledge of watching corruption up close more than once. How could it have been prevented?

* Election reform.

* Overhaul government accounting rules. You think public accounting allows for creative bookkeeping? It has nothing on government accounting.

* Protect and incentivise whistleblowers and make sitting idly by while Rome burns a crime after the fact. You want to be a government employee? Fine by me...but then you look after my money as if it were your own.

* Disenfranchise government employees. Do away with all forms of civil service,union, etc. Prevent nepotism through extremely strong standards for hiring, retention and discipline.

* Pierce governmental immunity and make corrupt or grossly negligent government employees personally liable for the harm or waste they cause.

* Provide standing to any citizen to sue for waste or harm, etc.

* End the revolving door between private industry and government employees. Theirs are not eligible to work for the government and they are not permitted to hire former government employees (or to use them as independent contractors).

* Eliminate almost all barriers to freedom of information, open meetings, etc. Freedom abhors secret proceedings.

* Prevent any government employee beyond the clerical level from remaining on the payroll beyond two terms. Or, alternatively, review the decision to retain an employee at least every eight years.

:clap2:

The rest is good too, but I especially like the idea of c-span cameras in every chamber of the senate, including those with plumbing.

Require that all Lobbyist contacts and communications with elected officials be recorded and be public domain.
Any contact not recorded/released is a felony with mandatory 1 year minimum prison sentence.

Freddom of spech is protected and privacy is not required when dealing with elected officials.

Hey Avatar

Corruption in which organization, system, Or are you talking in General?

What I am thinking of is to have a consistent method of public varification. If everyone can watch, it helps discourage corruption.

Of course, daring bastards will try to create methods to get around such a system.

The only way to eliminate corruption in goverment is to pay politicians so much that there is no cash incentive to be corrupt.

A fantasy, I know, but thats the "theoretical" answer.

People are corrupt to make more money. eliminate the need for more money and you eliminate most corruption. (You still have the asshole factor)

Forum List

Back