anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
I would like to go to walk on a desert trail this time. Somewhere in the US south west or Australia. I would like it to be a challenge too, something that not many people can do. I would also like to test my heat tolerance. Do you know such trails? I did Alpine trails in the past, and this would be a really good step up for me. Give me a few ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea to test your heat tolerance before you go marching out into the deep desert. Less dying happens that way.

Arches National Park has some shorter trails where that could be done, somewhat challenging and very pretty.

Google Death Valley National Park for the U.S.. If you go, make sure it is in July.
Someone told me that Yosemite national park is very near Death Valley national park, if you use the trails and not the roads. Is this true? I guess they have drop off points between them.

I think it would be a good idea to test your heat tolerance before you go marching out into the deep desert. Less dying happens that way.

Arches National Park has some shorter trails where that could be done, somewhat challenging and very pretty.
Wow the Arches national park is totally beautiful, I have just checked out its pictures. I will definitely go there.

anotherlife

mamooth is correct. Don't go wandering off in the desert without first educating yourself and knowing exactly what you're up against. Remember that many migrant workers die in that desert.

I lived for more than 25 years in the Sonora desert and hiked a lot. Its an incredible place, beautiful and hostile. BE aware that there is no GPS or cell signal in much of the desert.

Because of its high rain fall and the huge array of flora and fauna, its a "sub-tropical desert". This is also why its so difficult to find illegals. During some times of the year and/or in some areas, you could hide elephants in the Sonora desert.

Hotter than hell during the day and freezing cold at night. The plant life is fascinating, as is the wildlife. Be prepared for everything. That includes rattlesnakes and scorpions although, its only the small bark scorpion that is dangerous to people. I've been stung by a scorpion, very painful. I did get to the point where I could catch the giant desert hairy scorpion by its stinger in order to take it outside.

If you go to Tucson, visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and the Tucson Mountains Visitor Center that is just up the road from the museum. That road ties into the road I lived on - very wild and beautiful. Check out the websites for both, as well as Desert USA.

Also make sure you know where the Indian reservations are. They will always take you in and help you. Honestly, you can count on Native Americans and Mexicans to rescue you. They will give you the shirt off their back. When whites would pass you up, they will always stop to help you and it really does behoove you to know where they are.

OP asked for a challenge an' stated he did alpine trails in the past and this time wants a desert trail.

I'm a desert rat, and if you want a challenge, do Death Valley in July and you have Furnace Creek and/or Stovepipe Wells to fall back on.

Forum List

Back