What's a Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I'm operating on a Samsung tablet with Hotspot that I get through USCellular. The internet regularly cuts out when the tablet still shows I have a normal strength signal. I tried googling the problem and while a lot of it might as well have been in Chinese, it did say it might be the router.

So what's a router? Is it inside my tablet? Or is their server getting jammed up with a lot of traffic (it happens during after dinner hours, mostly).

I'm operating on a Samsung tablet with Hotspot that I get through USCellular. The internet regularly cuts out when the tablet still shows I have a normal strength signal. I tried googling the problem and while a lot of it might as well have been in Chinese, it did say it might be the router.

So what's a router? Is it inside my tablet? Or is their server getting jammed up with a lot of traffic (it happens during after dinner hours, mostly).
its a tool you use in woodworking to shape profiles of edges,,,

The router is the device that connects your local IP network (all the devices in your home or office) to the actual Internet.

Your tablet will connect to it via WiFi and that device will pass the data back and forth to your broadband provider.

The router is the device that connects your local IP network (all the devices in your home or office) to the actual Internet.

Your tablet will connect to it via WiFi and that device will pass the data back and forth to your broadband provider.
So it's something USCellular has somewhere, not in my tablet?

No, not in your tablet.

No, not in your tablet.

Proviso ... some tablets are 4G capable. I'm assuming that's not yours, since you said you are connecting to USCell through a hotspot.

Try resetting your router by turning it off and back on (or if possible, unplugging it for around a minute, then plugging it back in)....

Then sign on again....

No, not in your tablet.
I really appreciate this. Where is this device connecting me to the internet?

No, not in your tablet.

That is your hotspot. Are you using your phone as a hotspot?

Try resetting your router by turning it off and back on (or if possible, unplugging it for around a minute, then plugging it back in)....

Then sign on again....
That has worked a couple times when the disconnect is prolonged. I was doing it because it's about the only thing I know how to do if there are problems. That made me guess the problem was internal, but fn says no.

No, not in your tablet.

I have a landline for my phone service (not through USCellular). This tablet does have a phone number, though. I have no idea why.

I'm operating on a Samsung tablet with Hotspot that I get through USCellular. The internet regularly cuts out when the tablet still shows I have a normal strength signal. I tried googling the problem and while a lot of it might as well have been in Chinese, it did say it might be the router. So what's a router? Is it inside my tablet? Or is their server getting jammed up with a lot of traffic (it happens during after dinner hours, mostly).
its a tool you use in woodworking to shape profiles of edges,,,

No, I thought it was the thing that made your beat up old car's rear door window go up and down when you pressed the button!

Then sign on again....
That has worked a couple times when the disconnect is prolonged. I was doing it because it's about the only thing I know how to do if there are problems. That made me guess the problem was internal, but fn says no.
If it continues, it's a problem with your service (or possibly your hotspot), so you might want to get with your provider to see if they can help you out on that...

My internet acts up occasionally (usually due to weather, since it's a wired connection), and I have to reset my router, so I know what a pain it is.....

No, not in your tablet.

I have a landline for my phone service (not through USCellular). This tablet does have a phone number, though. I have no idea why.

Only devices that connect to a cellular network (or a landline phone network) have phone numbers.

If your landline phone is connected to the traditional landline phone network then it has nothing to do with your tablet. If, however, your phone is connected to your broadband modem (also known as a router), then the same device provides service for your voice calls and your data.

If, as you say above, your connectivity remains strong even when you're having Internet problems, then your problem is not with the WiFi connection to your hotspot.

Is your connection to the Internet slow or completely stopped?

As others stated you are not connected to your own router you are picking up your providers hotspot but so are a zillion other people cluttering the network. Sometimes providers have timeouts and kick you off, other times it's traffic and sometimes it's your distance from their signal, in which case an Alfa wifi adapter will help get you better stronger more solid connections, however some tablets have trouble connecting those wifi adapters or installing their drivers.
In fact your settings might be affecting your steady connection, research how to correct your wifi settings or download a automated software program the searches your settings and recommends new settings.
With Phone tower data and Wifi signals placement and direction of your device can make a huge difference as well.

No, not in your tablet.

Only devices that connect to a cellular network (or a landline phone network) have phone numbers.

If your landline phone is connected to the traditional landline phone network then it has nothing to do with your tablet. If, however, your phone is connected to your broadband modem (also known as a router), then the same device provides service for your voice calls and your data.

If, as you say above, your connectivity remains strong even when you're having Internet problems, then your problem is not with the WiFi connection to your hotspot.

Stopped. Usually just for a few minutes, but once it starts it will happen frequently for hours. Very annoying when I'm in the middle of something, and the brains don't remember what you were doing, either. I have to start over from scratch.

No, not in your tablet.

Stopped. Usually just for a few minutes, but once it starts it will happen frequently for hours. Very annoying when I'm in the middle of something, and the brains don't remember what you were doing, either. I have to start over from scratch.

Is there a device in your house that provides the hotspot, or is it device outside your house?

an Alfa wifi adapter will help get you better stronger more solid connections, however some tablets have trouble connecting those wifi adapters or installing their drivers.
In fact your settings might be affecting your steady connection, research how to correct your wifi settings or download a automated software program the searches your settings and recommends new settings.
Oh God.

No, not in your tablet.

Is there a device in your house that provides the hotspot, or is it device outside your house?
There is no device in or outside my house.

As others stated you are not connected to your own router you are picking up your providers hotspot but so are a zillion other people cluttering the network. Sometimes providers have timeouts and kick you off, other times it's traffic and sometimes it's your distance from their signal, in which case an Alfa wifi adapter will help get you better stronger more solid connections, however some tablets have trouble connecting those wifi adapters or installing their drivers.
With Phone tower data and Wifi signals placement and direction of your device can make a huge difference as well.
In my totally uninformed opinion, it appeared to me to be traffic related, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back