Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return the extra money

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
I just stopped by my local bank to cash a check for $100 for eating out tonight and lunches for both of us next week. Waiting at the drive through talk station I was asked “...how do you want your cash?” Twenties I said.
I got my envelope and drove away to clear room for the next customer. When I opened the envelope there were thirty five $20-bills inside, $600 too much. I drove around the block and wrote them a little note on the envelope: “You just gave me too much for my $100 check.”
Since it was cash, I assume that there was probably no record of giving me $700 for a hundred dollar check.
Anonymous poll: what would you do?

Keep it as a windfall
Return the money

Last edited:
Retrun it of course.
That would be automatic.
Beyond that it could very well cost a teller their job for the mistake and they could also be held responsible for repaying it.

Giving it back is the right thing to do.

And for the tempted -
notice all the cameras in the area, don't think that it wouldn't take long for somebody to come ask you about your windfall.

first the bank will track down the error...they can narrow it down by the time stamps...and camera....plus they will call customers that had transaction during that time....best to take it back...

my bank called and ask me one time if i had gotten the correct amount...did not ask for over or under just if it was correct....luckily i remember that i got out what i needed to pay bills and i didnt have any left....so my transaction was correct...they will find you and then you have to change banks..cause you have made an ass of yourself and all

Keep the money and consider it a personal bail out.

Then I would chant down my conscience with “You are too big to fail. You are too big to fail."

I just stopped by my local bank to cash a check for $100 for eating out tonight and lunches for both of us next week. Waiting at the drive through talk station I was asked “...how do you want your cash?” Twenties I said.
I got my envelope and drove away to clear room for the next customer. When I opened the envelope there were thirty five $20-bills inside, $600 too much. I drove around the block and wrote them a little note on the envelope: “You just gave me too much for my $100 check.”
Since it was cash, I assume that there was probably no record of giving me $700 for a hundred dollar check.

Keep it as a windfall
Return the money

I could not live with myself, until I returned it.

There is a record of the bank tellers drawer, that is why I would return it

It is pretty obvious that she got the envelopes mixed up, that money came from someones account

Last edited:
Return it....it is not a windfall, because it is not yours.

Plus the teller is now thought of as a crook/thief....that is not fair to her....she may have made a mistake, but she is not a thief...this could ruin her for the rest of her life, to have this accusation/suspicion over her head.

Keep it as a windfall
Return the money

I didn't consider for an instant keeping it. but as you say it would not have been worth $600 to spoil the teller's weekend like I can imagine it would've.

Keep it as a windfall
Return the money
Had the same thing happen to me at the grocery store when purchasing a money order, a few years back.

Paid $200.00 and got a money order for $250.00.

I corrected them.

first the bank will track down the error...they can narrow it down by the time stamps...and camera....plus they will call customers that had transaction during that time....best to take it back...

my bank called and ask me one time if i had gotten the correct amount...did not ask for over or under just if it was correct....luckily i remember that i got out what i needed to pay bills and i didnt have any left....so my transaction was correct...they will find you and then you have to change banks..cause you have made an ass of yourself and all

Enough already...give it back because it's the right thing to do, not because big brother is watching you.

Keep it as a windfall
Return the money

It is pretty obvious that she got the envelopes mixed up, that money came from someones account

There used to be a small pharmacist next to my doctor's office. When I went in there I would let my son get a lollipop and I would pay for it. One day, I got back in the car before I realized he'd taken a lollipop out of habit and I hadn't paid for it. I went back into the store to pay for it. It was what $.10? I can't understand anybody that would take something that isn't theirs regardless of whether it's worth 10 cents or $100,000.

New Topics

Forum List

Back