What Would King Say?

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Many like you USMB right wingers love to misquote King to defend the continued maintenance of a racist system. But his words are documented.

'Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised,'' Dr. King wrote, ''some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race 300 years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner.''

MISSTATING` DR. KING`S VIEWS?

Jonathan K. Baum, Staff attorney and clinical fellow, Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, University of Chicago Law SchoolCHICAGO TRIBUNE

The Jan. 11 edition of your newspaper accurately reported that Assistant U.S. Atty. Gen. William Bradford Reynolds claimed, in a speech at the University of Chicago Law School, that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared the Reagan administration`s opposition to any ''preferential treatment'' for blacks in compensation for historical discrimination. Too bad Mr. Reynolds failed to report Dr. King`s views as accurately as you reported Mr. Reynolds`. In his 1964 book, ''Why We Can`t Wait,'' Dr. King specifically repudiated the Reagan/Reynolds approach.

Do you think Dr. King would be more, less or just as famous today if he had never been assassinated?

Many like you USMB right wingers love to misquote King to defend the continued maintenance of a racist system. But his words are documented.

'Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised,'' Dr. King wrote, ''some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race 300 years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner.''

Jonathan K. Baum, Staff attorney and clinical fellow, Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, University of Chicago Law SchoolCHICAGO TRIBUNE

The Jan. 11 edition of your newspaper accurately reported that Assistant U.S. Atty. Gen. William Bradford Reynolds claimed, in a speech at the University of Chicago Law School, that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared the Reagan administration`s opposition to any ''preferential treatment'' for blacks in compensation for historical discrimination. Too bad Mr. Reynolds failed to report Dr. King`s views as accurately as you reported Mr. Reynolds`. In his 1964 book, ''Why We Can`t Wait,'' Dr. King specifically repudiated the Reagan/Reynolds approach.

You're not getting reparations. Get a fucking job!

We have had two full generations of Affirmative action addressing just this issue, yet IM2 still whines about wanting free stuff instead of making something of himself in life.

This ingrained dysfunctional pathology does more to impede the progress of blacks in our society than any other possible factor.

Do you think Dr. King would be more, less or just as famous today if he had never been assassinated?
More. But the right wing would attack him just like they do any other black person trying to change the system.

Just as famous...although without the patina of saintliness applied to him because of the way he died. His role as a counter-weight to the radicals in the Civil Rights movement would probably have meant a lot less violence--and possibly more cogent reform--maybe not though...bedrock cultural attitudes are generational issues..and perhaps Civil Rights had gone as far as it could...in the 60's and 70's.
Face it..legal equality has been here for a while..but cultural equality is still long years away..if ever, in this culture. More likely a demographic switch.....meet the new boss--with a darker hue..same as the old boss~

Just as famous...although without the patina of saintliness applied to him because of the way he died. His role as a counter-weight to the radicals in the Civil Rights movement would probably have meant a lot less violence--and possibly more cogent reform--maybe not though...bedrock cultural attitudes are generational issues..and perhaps Civil Rights had gone as far as it could...in the 60's and 70's.
Face it..legal equality has been here for a while..but cultural equality is still long years away..if ever, in this culture. More likely a demographic switch.....meet the new boss--with a darker hue..same as the old boss~
Social media and other platforms would increase his visibilty. Legal equality has not been achieved and King was a radical.

He would say you're a disgrace for voting for a guy who said he doesn't want his kids growing up in a "racial jungle" with the likes of you. And he'd be right.

1634920727930.png

Social media and other platforms would increase his visibilty. Legal equality has not been achieved and King was a radical.

King was a radical at the end of his life....

And he was shot for it

He would say you're a disgrace for voting for a guy who said he doesn't want his kids growing up in a "racial jungle" with the likes of you. And he'd be right.
I doubt that. I didn't vote for Joe Biden in 1982.

King was a radical at the end of his life....

And he was shot for it
No, king was always radical to white people because his demands for black equality was a radical idea to whites. He was shot by a racist peice of trash.

No, shockingly, you voted for him AFTER you learned what kind of racist he is. You're an Uncle Tom of the highest order.
No, I voted for a man who was vice president to a black president. Your commets are disingenuous, but you're the idiot that keeps trying to tell me how I support a man I never voted for. On top of that, I certainly wasn't going to vote for the birther.

No, I voted for a man who was vice president to a black president. Your commets are disingenuous, but you're the idiot that keeps trying to tell me how I support a man I never voted for. On top of that, I certainly wasn't going to vote for the birther.

Hush, Remus, remember where you are.

No, king was always radical to white people because his demands for black equality was a radical idea to whites. He was shot by a racist peice of trash.

Racial equality was not radical in 1965....

In 2021 you would consider it conservative lol

I'd never say he wasn't--but he eschewed violence, unlike many. Social media might well have increased his visibility, OTOH..it might have also diluted his message, who knows?
As for legal equality..that depends on definition. Perhaps I should have said statutory equality--as enforcement and application of law is still tilted in favor of the rich..and white.
As I said, that's going to take generations to change. For many, a reversal of the paradigm of the last few centuries is a true goal...and exchanging top for bottom more desirable..and seen as more attainable..than Universal sufferance, tolerance and equality.
Such is the human condition.

I'd never say he wasn't--but he eschewed violence, unlike many. Social media might well have increased his visibility, OTOH..it might have also diluted his message, who knows?
As for legal equality..that depends on definition. Perhaps I should have said statutory equality--as enforcement and application of law is still tilted in favor of the rich..and white.
As I said, that's going to take generations to change. For many, a reversal of the paradigm of the last few centuries is a true goal...and exchanging top for bottom more desirable..and seen as more attainable..than Universal sufferance, tolerance and equality.
Such is the human condition.
His stance should not be confused with non confrontation. That's where most people make their mistake in their assessment of Dr. King.

New Topics

Forum List

Back