What were YOU like as a teenager??

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind

Well, for me............I had an old Ford Torino, so I had wheels. I was a mall rat for sure. Loved being at the malls. Spent time a 6 Flags Over Texas when I could afford it. Went to see movies. Bummed around with a few friends here and there. Really liked artsy stuff. I was big into ceramics and making things from junk I found laying around where ever I was.

If I wasn't in my car, I was on my bicycle. I was rarely in the house in my free time. Hated being inside actually. Love just roaming around, seeing things, going places around the metro area. After High School, I got into going to downtown Dallas at night and roaming around.
There were still some places open 24/7 in downtown. There was a water display that shot out of the ground. Parents would bring their kids to this plaza to play in the water display. I did it myself a few times. It was nice, quiet, and safe then.

What were you like as a teenager?
Town East Mall 1970s
vintage_shopping___town_east_mall__mesquite_tx_by_yesterdays_paper_dbnyw1l-fullview.jpg

1674953949506.jpeg

Hey what movie is this clip from it looks familiar. As a teen I was a depressed, scared, follower. That old saying "looking to belong" suited me to a T. I was about as impressionable a kid as one might be. Sports was a bit of a saviour for me. Thank the Lord social media didn't exist then, I wouldn't have survived.

As a teenager I was a beer drinking, cigarette and pot smoker with a very fast Plymouth. I bought a house when I turned 18 with my pot money. I had a blast, got thrown out of high school and as fate would have it ended up in the Marine Corps with a friend whose bright idea it was to go in on the buddy plan. H e never showed up. So when the recruiter showed up to pick me up on that morning in November in 1980, I went anyway and "that made all the difference." I seen him 22 years later at Lowes. He should have went in with me on the buddy plan.

I was hell on wheels. Did not see much of malls. They were to far away. Saw a lot of farm girls naked. Played a lot of baseball ⚾ Was on the high school basketball team but baseball was my true love. Chased a lot of chickens and cows. Saw a lot of corn. Lots and lots of corn fields around me. My county was so flat we had to build a big pond that we used the dirt to build a sledding hill. Worked for my dad's surveying and engineering company on the survey crew. Bailed hey. Did some hunting and some fishing. Dated a girl whose family was a blue grass band. Went to a lot of blue grass festivals with them. Was not to fond of blue grass but it was worth it to hang out with my girlfriend. Drank a lot of beer. Occasionally smoked some weed. Had a 72 Nova. I was not into cars as much as my peers. I was more fond of boats. Had a parasail. Spent a lot time parasailing and skiing on Grand Lake. Went up and walleye fished lake Erie with my grandfather when I could. Had a good time. I would do it again if given the chance.

I was an enigma to most. The most open pothead/hippie/slacker in school but I made very good grades and my teachers loved me. I was famous for sleeping in class and yet being able to correctly answer when the teacher woke me up and asked me a question. I breezed through HS high and with minimal effort and still made the honor roll. Then I went to work.

Ummmm. Lemme ask around. I don't remember much about it. Wasted. Lotsa scars. Good athlete.Loved fighting. Loved FAST. Hunted and fished a lot. Did the Appalachian trail at 16.
It'll take a while. Most of my buds are dead. That was a hell of a long time ago.

Ummmm. Lemme ask around. I don't remember much about it. Wasted. Lotsa scars. Good athlete.Loved fighting. Loved FAST. Hunted and fished a lot. Did the Appalachian trail at 16.
It'll take a while. Most of my buds are dead. That was a hell of a long time ago.
The whole Appalachian trail?

Hey what movie is this clip from it looks familiar. As a teen I was a depressed, scared, follower. That old saying "looking to belong" suited me to a T. I was about as impressionable a kid as one might be. Sports was a bit of a saviour for me. Thank the Lord social media didn't exist then, I wouldn't have survived.

Thats Humphrey Bogart and Edward G Robinson if I'm remembering correctly.
I have no idea what movie that is though.

I was every one's worst nightmare. I Was as mean as a snake bite. I was a walking collection of knives, straight razors and razor blades. I went out every night, in Oakland, looking for a fight. I was totally out of control. School was a waste of my time. I once beat a girl unconscious because I didn't like the way she said hello.

The police brought me home night after night until my hapless parents decided that I should get a husband to control me. At 15 I married, beginning the beating and torment of this unfortunate soul.

But I grew out of it.

Well, for me............I had an old Ford Torino, so I had wheels. I was a mall rat for sure. Loved being at the malls. Spent time a 6 Flags Over Texas when I could afford it. Went to see movies. Bummed around with a few friends here and there. Really liked artsy stuff. I was big into ceramics and making things from junk I found laying around where ever I was.

If I wasn't in my car, I was on my bicycle. I was rarely in the house in my free time. Hated being inside actually. Love just roaming around, seeing things, going places around the metro area. After High School, I got into going to downtown Dallas at night and roaming around.
There were still some places open 24/7 in downtown. There was a water display that shot out of the ground. Parents would bring their kids to this plaza to play in the water display. I did it myself a few times. It was nice, quiet, and safe then.

What were you like as a teenager?
Town East Mall 1970s
vintage_shopping___town_east_mall__mesquite_tx_by_yesterdays_paper_dbnyw1l-fullview.jpg

View attachment 751810
I was the proverbial ugly duckling, so i usually stayed home or biked (non motor) to the bowling alley to play a few games or play pinball. But once i turned 18, it was like a whole new me, got tan, had my hair feathered, went out with a lifeguard who was number 1 academically in her class. I worked as a short order chef for a year, then Service Merchandise as a electronics salesman. Went to bars, drank lots of beer, danced, at 20 ended up in the Air Force. The rest is history.

0213 (2).jpg

I was the proverbial ugly duckling, so i usually stayed home or biked (non motor) to the bowling alley to play a few games or play pinball. But once i turned 18, it was like a whole new me, got tan, had my hair feathered, went out with a lifeguard who was number 1 academically in her class. I worked as a short order chef for a year, then Service Merchandise as a electronics salesman. Went to bars, drank lots of beer, danced, at 20 ended up in the Air Force. The rest is history.

View attachment 751834

Now THAT is what I'd call a "typical teenager".

I was more of a loner. Not many friends, but had a few. We all had our own personal hangouts, but we all did stuff once in a while.

My sister was 5 years younger than me, and she was getting pre-teen antsy.......so I'd take her to the movies sometimes or the arcades.........she LOVED Centipede. Even taught her to drive.

Other than that, I had a pretty much dull existence by anybody elses standards.

Forum List

Back