What to do with the USPS?

saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

Bankruptcy so employees can be paid less?

Cost of stamps reflects actual costs?

One or more of the above?

It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

get congress out of the running of the business and let those they are paying to run it....run it......paying less will just make matters worse....

Privatize?

Do what any business should do, "operate within your means". Look for ways to make it work so that a "break even" point is doable. Cut cost, consolidate functions, and pay attention to pay scales and benefits offered. Deliver as much mail as possible to "group mail stations" such as large apartment complexes use. Increase the size of delivery trucks such as UPS and Fedx use. There are ways to do it, but first they have to want to do it.

One major change Congress could do to help would be to do away with the requirement they fund pensions for up to 75 years ahead of time. That's just ridiculous. Scale it back to 50 or something. That would be huge.

Do what any business should do, "operate within your means". Look for ways to make it work so that a "break even" point is doable. Cut cost, consolidate functions, and pay attention to pay scales and benefits offered. Deliver as much mail as possible to "group mail stations" such as large apartment complexes use. Increase the size of delivery trucks such as UPS and Fedx use. There are ways to do it, but first they have to want to do it.

Some of the newer neighborhoods in Vegas have one group mailbox for a dozen or so houses on the street.

Privatize?

I would create jobs and educational internships for Veterans
for training students to do the work as part of education
and public service training.

So any program in systems management could take on the local post office
for degrees, training and jobs in related fields and Veterans could be hired to manage it
as part of their civilian jobs when they come back from service.

As much as the political parties talk about helping create jobs for Vets
why not invest campaign dollars directly into training potential leaders to run for office
use those dollars to put them to work manageing and reforming the postal service
so they can show their work experience before running for office

The fault is that of the Democratic and Republican parties that made USPS fund 75 years of retirement in 15 years, which no other business, government or private or quasi as been forced to do.

What to do: continue the way are right now.

To privatize it is to place the taxpayer and mail recipient at the mercies of private profit. 1st Class Mail is a service, not a business.

The fault is that of the Democratic and Republican parties that made USPS fund 75 years of retirement in 15 years, which no other business, government or private or quasi as been forced to do.

To privatize it is to place the taxpayer and mail recipient at the mercies of private profit. 1st Class Mail is a service, not a business.
USAA is a private insurance company run by and for Veteran families
when USAA testified before Congress, it was foudn they were already providing
the viable kind of insurance and services WITHOUT added regulations needed at all.
they were doing this by free market, and I suspect it is because Veterans have taken an oath to the Constitution
that they put service above any type of corruption or abuse for profit that is not in the best interest of the members.

So this model can be used for other services as well.
When people are responsible both for NO LOSSES and NO WASTE
because it affects the paid membership this serves as CHECK against abuses or problems that cost money.

As long as taxpayers can keep bailing out the losses, the USPS keeps going in circles
with piss poor management that even the workers have complained about.

the viable kind of insurance and services WITHOUT added regulations needed at all.
they were doing this by free market, and I suspect it is because Veterans have taken an oath to the Constitution
that they put service above any type of corruption or abuse for profit that is not in the best interest of the members.

because it affects the paid membership this serves as CHECK against abuses or problems that cost money.

As long as taxpayers can keep bailing out the losses, the USPS keeps going in circles
I'm a member of USAA, and I agree that it's a great place to do business. They are way above other groups and organizations. Thanks for sharing.

There isn't much they can do. The reality is that the post office is based around a world that no longer exists. They are also very poor in dealing with customers. I refuse to use the post office because they are complete assholes here (as well as having screwed me over on numerous occasions).
Audit Post Office Workers Rude and Worse than Other Retailers Washington Free Beacon

They are completely unable to adapt as well because they have to go through congress to make changes. Congress is HUGELY inefficient and does not react in the interest of the post offices ability to serve their customers. Instead, they act in a manner that gives them a nice campaign line to say like 'I voted to save rural communities mail system' never mind that they voted to preserve a failed business concept.

The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to. Now I have email and Skype. I can send documents over an internet connection instantly, pay my bills online and communicate in real time what I used to have to send a letter to do. The model that the post office follows is no longer applicable.

I'm a member of USAA, and I agree that it's a great place to do business. They are way above other groups and organizations. Thanks for sharing.
Sonny Clark
No wonder we are in such agreement.
Why not start with a simple proposal to party leaders
and also Allen West foundation for Vets and Minority leaders
to set up internship program to create jobs and training
for Vets to streamline the Post office and cut costs by
using it to train students in management or related fields.
So the work-study can be for course credits to cut costs
of both the service and education. And Vets can train in
govt management and admin on a rotating basis.
As soon as they get trained they can get jobs with
cities or counties, state or federal and let the next class
rotate through. Also train future candidates for office this way.

Can you write that up in plain terms as a proposal
to Allen West and his Veteran foundation?
if that works, we can try the public housing
and VA, but lets start with a simpler model that doesn't
have as many variables and social issues riding on it.

What do you think, is this a good starting point?

So when government does it business principles are irrelevant? The USPS seems to be trying to model FedEx and UPS, why use a business model? The problem is wages are too high and pension benefits too large. Bankruptcy would eliminate both and the reorganized governmental body could continue. See Detroit.

Sonny Clark
No wonder we are in such agreement.
Why not start with a simple proposal to party leaders
and also Allen West foundation for Vets and Minority leaders
to set up internship program to create jobs and training
for Vets to streamline the Post office and cut costs by
using it to train students in management or related fields.
So the work-study can be for course credits to cut costs
of both the service and education. And Vets can train in
govt management and admin on a rotating basis.
As soon as they get trained they can get jobs with
cities or counties, state or federal and let the next class
rotate through. Also train future candidates for office this way.

Can you write that up in plain terms as a proposal
to Allen West and his Veteran foundation?
if that works, we can try the public housing
and VA, but lets start with a simpler model that doesn't
have as many variables and social issues riding on it.

What do you think, is this a good starting point?
Yes, I agree. I haven't done anything about what we first talked about due to health issues, doctor visits, and a hospital stay this past week. But, I'll try very hard to get started on all of it this week end. I have to leave the house for a few hours today, but will try to do something on it tonight. Yes, it does sound like a good starting point, I agree. Thanks for the reminder, much appreciated my friend.

False premise. The US Postal Service is not a business.
it is a very business like semi-independent, governmental federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral......hows that?...

There isn't much they can do. The reality is that the post office is based around a world that no longer exists. They are also very poor in dealing with customers. I refuse to use the post office because they are complete assholes here (as well as having screwed me over on numerous occasions).
Audit Post Office Workers Rude and Worse than Other Retailers Washington Free Beacon

They are completely unable to adapt as well because they have to go through congress to make changes. Congress is HUGELY inefficient and does not react in the interest of the post offices ability to serve their customers. Instead, they act in a manner that gives them a nice campaign line to say like 'I voted to save rural communities mail system' never mind that they voted to preserve a failed business concept.

The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to. Now I have email and Skype. I can send documents over an internet connection instantly, pay my bills online and communicate in real time what I used to have to send a letter to do. The model that the post office follows is no longer applicable.
They are also very poor in dealing with customers.
depends on the office....some are very good....
They are completely unable to adapt as well because they have to go through congress to make changes
this is very true...
The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to
millions of people out there will say speak for yourself.....there are still 40 billion plus, first class letters still getting mailed yearly ....the PO just needs to let the people who are paid to run it....run it, without congress having to approve major things...let these people sink or swim...

So when government does it business principles are irrelevant? The USPS seems to be trying to model FedEx and UPS, why use a business model? The problem is wages are too high and pension benefits too large. Bankruptcy would eliminate both and the reorganized governmental body could continue. See Detroit.
The problem is wages are too high
for clerks i will agree....Carriers no.....we were the only workers who have a clock ticking on the amount of time to do your job,and no matter how much mail is there or the weather outside,you have a time limit.....and along with that time limit, no one would do this job in the rain and snow for 15 bucks an hour....

How much did the government make from building roads last year? From spending on defense? From building new schools?

USPS is not a business. It's a means by which we are able to deliver mail and packages to each other in a way that is guaranteed by the government.

FedEx and UPS ARE businesses. If you want to trust all mail operations to them then tell your congressman.

The Post office is still the best thing since sliced bread compared to their competitors in my opinion, and I use them ALL THE TIME! Hip Hip Hooray for the post office....

Get rid of funding 75 years worth of retirements, including retirements for people who have not even been born yet, in 15 years.

NO private entity of any kind has this as a measure in place....they would ALL be bankrupt if they were FORCED to do such an idiotic thing....

Forum List

Back