What think ye? Of all the teachings of Jesus Christ what are the top 3 you hold dearest?

Moroni 7:23-26
23 And God also declared unto prophets, by his own mouth, that Christ should come.
24 And behold, there were divers ways that he did manifest things unto the children of men, which were good; and all things which are good cometh of Christ; otherwise men were fallen, and there could no good thing come unto them.
25 Wherefore, by the ministering of angels, and by every word which proceeded forth out of the mouth of God, men began to exercise faith in Christ; and thus by faith, they did lay hold upon every good thing; and thus it was until the coming of Christ.
26 And after that he came men also were saved by faith in his name; and by faith, they become the sons of God. And as surely as Christ liveth he spake these words unto our fathers, saying: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you.

What does that have to do with the origin of the so called golden rule?

Hint: the correct answer is nothing.

I honestly don't remember.

The origin of the concept is far older than Christianity. That is not disputed.
Not disputing that. My question was where did most of us in the West hear of it today? I think you will find what else is not disputed is its spread through Christianity.

Not disputing that. My question was where did most of us in the West hear of it today? I think you will find what else is not disputed is its spread through Christianity.
That's irrelevant.

The Golden Rule isn't a Christian invention

That's all I ever said and you agreed.

What does that have to do with the origin of the so called golden rule?

Hint: the correct answer is nothing.
Is it too difficult for you to realize that all good thoughts and feelings that mankind has had or will have originated from the inspiration of God? Do you not know that the God of the Old Testament was Jesus Christ who appeared unto Moses and other prophets? The correct answer is not nothing but the correct answer is Jesus Christ.

The Golden Rule is not a Jesus thing.

It has been around since at least 2000 BCE

The term per se does not appear in the Bible but the meaning absolutely is there. You can call it what you wish....

I call it the Golden Rule.

In his famous Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said: “All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.” (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31) The Golden Rule has also been expressed this way: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”—Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Why do you want the spread of the Golden Rule to be irrelevant? Personally, I think both the history and its spread are very interesting and quite relevant.
It is not a Christian invention and was a concept known to ancient civilizations all over the world.

So if it was known to civilizations across the world before Chritianity was invented it seems that Christianity isn't responsible for spreading it

The term per se does not appear in the Bible but the meaning absolutely is there. You can call it what you wish....

I call it the Golden Rule.

In his famous Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said: “All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.” (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31) The Golden Rule has also been expressed this way: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”—Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
The concept was known way before Christianity was invented so it's not a Christian thing

Jesus came for two specific purposes: to preach the kingdom (Lk 4:43); to judge apostate Judea (Jn 9:39). Another purpose was to bear witness to the truth (Jn 18:37), which therefore must substantially involve these two specific purposes.

So, for me, kingdom, judgment, and truth.

The concept was known way before Christianity was invented so it's not a Christian thing

There are timeless Spiritual Laws like "The Golden Rule" and people since the beginning of times have carried these Laws in their hearts... and Jesus knew that ...all religions through history have versions of this truth.

If you are a Christian you follow Jesus teaching ,if you belong to another faith you follow what Confucius said, and so on.

They all own part of the truth, and no one own all of the truth, only Our Eternal Father.

That's what I believe. at least.

What 3 teachings of Jesus do you hold closest to your heart? What are the three top teachings of our Lord that have made the greatest impression in your life?
One. Learning to give without looking for anything in return
God really does bless you for giving to any cause that YOU think is worthwhile.

In giving you never lose anything. Seems to be a divine principle

All truth comes from the Father thru Jesus. Yes all religions carry some truth, but Jesus IS the only way to the Father
Scripture does note that God's law is written on our hearts. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are One. I believe the Holy Spirit is equally as powerful as the Son in bringing us to the Oneness of God.

There are timeless Spiritual Laws like "The Golden Rule" and people since the beginning of times have carried these Laws in their hearts... and Jesus knew that ...all religions through history have versions of this truth.

If you are a Christian you follow Jesus teaching ,if you belong to another faith you follow what Confucius said, and so on.

They all own part of the truth, and no one own all of the truth, only Our Eternal Father.

That's what I believe. at least.
These concepts were conceived by men not gods

New Topics

Forum List

Back