What the hell was I thinking?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I thought it would be fun to apply for the vacant school board position. I assumed nobody else would apply, and it would just consist of a little meet and greet with the other board members and they'd shoo me in.

Well I was one of three and the interview consisted of them asking me these fucking in-depth questions about what I know about charter schools.

?

I know absofuckinglutely nothing about charter schools. A desire to learn more is why I want to be on the school board. I want to be on the school board because it will force me to learn and participate. I will attend school board meetings if I'm a member and I have to.

So they told me to wait by the phone because they'll call right after the last interview, and they want the "winner" to return to the school tonight. I mean, I know I didn't get it, but they told me to wait, so I am.

My interview was a disaster. I don't know anything about charter schools. What little I do know I was not about to put on display, better to play dumb. But you can't tell me any of the people on the board (and I know all but two of them) knew ANYTHING about charter schools when they got on.

"How do you think this school compares to other schools."

WTF? I'm 46 years old, how much time do you think I spend hanging in grade schools?

And they told me three times that there was going to be another opening soon, so to keep that in mind. So why tell me to wait by the phone??????? Why not just tell me, go home, we'll call and let you know.....

Well, at least next time you'll know what to expect!

Why do you think they wanted to know what you knew about charter schools anyway? Are they competing for your districts students?

• Banned
I have no clue. Really, absolutely none.

Still waiting, and that's just not right. You'd think they knew going in and they could have made it EASIER for us.

• Banned
School board, and it's only 7:56 here. My interview was at 6:45, and there was one after me. (And mine started late).

School boards often burn the midnight oil. Relatively speaking. They always meet in the evenings.

Hey, that's what I should have said.

Ok, got the call, they gave it to the person after me.

I say it was RIGGED!

Holy crap, I'm super relieved now. I'm going to go pick up my kids!

Bullshit interview, this is what is wrong with schooling in America.

They did not ask you about how you can communicate with and teach the kids, they asked you about bureaucratic procedure. Your type of school versus our type of school.

Fuck the world is drowning in red tape.

And red tape is good for nothing but kinky sex.

Last edited:
I thought it would be fun to apply for the vacant school board position. I assumed nobody else would apply, and it would just consist of a little meet and greet with the other board members and they'd shoo me in.

Well I was one of three and the interview consisted of them asking me these fucking in-depth questions about what I know about charter schools.

?

I know absofuckinglutely nothing about charter schools. A desire to learn more is why I want to be on the school board. I want to be on the school board because it will force me to learn and participate. I will attend school board meetings if I'm a member and I have to.

So they told me to wait by the phone because they'll call right after the last interview, and they want the "winner" to return to the school tonight. I mean, I know I didn't get it, but they told me to wait, so I am.

My interview was a disaster. I don't know anything about charter schools. What little I do know I was not about to put on display, better to play dumb. But you can't tell me any of the people on the board (and I know all but two of them) knew ANYTHING about charter schools when they got on.

"How do you think this school compares to other schools."

WTF? I'm 46 years old, how much time do you think I spend hanging in grade schools?

And they told me three times that there was going to be another opening soon, so to keep that in mind. So why tell me to wait by the phone??????? Why not just tell me, go home, we'll call and let you know.....

Surely you didn't actually wait, did you?

Good for you for getting involved in local issues, Allie!

Seriously, I admire you for trying.

I admire your efforts too, Allie Baba. I also think it was decent of the school member to call you back and inform you of their decision. So many institutions and private businessess don't. I always did that, and it was hard, because I knew how many people I was disappointing, but rather than make them anxiously wait, I made the call, or sometimes sent a personal letter.

we elect the school board here?

charter schools are simply privately ran schools that dont prove their value in standardized tests.

We elect, too. One of our school board members died, so they're appointing a replacement, who will then run when the term is up.

Happy ending...the superintendent came to my office today and asked me to be on the budgeting committee!

They did not ask you about how you can communicate with and teach the kids, they asked you about bureaucratic procedure. Your type of school versus our type of school.

Except school board members don't teach the kids or even interact with them all that much. They deal with budget issues, hiring and firing, performance evals of employees, that sort of stuff.

Good for you for getting involved in local issues, Allie!

Seriously, I admire you for trying.

I admire your efforts too, Allie Baba. I also think it was decent of the school member to call you back and inform you of their decision. So many institutions and private businessess don't. I always did that, and it was hard, because I knew how many people I was disappointing, but rather than make them anxiously wait, I made the call, or sometimes sent a personal letter.

I know, it's like you aren't even important enough to make a blip on the radar if you don't get a call.

I got my call, and a visit this morning, life is good.

The superintendent told me it was really close. So that means 2 of the 5 board members voted for me. Even after I was exposed as an ignoramus.

Except school board members don't teach the kids or even interact with them all that much. They deal with budget issues, hiring and firing, performance evals of employees, that sort of stuff.

Indeed, they forgot they deal with all that to give kids the best education.

It becomes all about their process, budget issues, hiring, firing; what are kids to them?

School board members are elected here where I live too. My guess is they were trying to be as polite as they could be about not selecting you for a spot on the school board - hence, wait by the phone. If being on the school board is something you would really like to do, good luck with it all. After having read a good many of your posts, I think you would probably make a good member of the board. Keep pestering them. Sooner or later you will wear them down. LOL.

charter schools are simply privately ran schools that dont prove their value in standardized tests.

We elect, too. One of our school board members died, so they're appointing a replacement, who will then run when the term is up.

Happy ending...the superintendent came to my office today and asked me to be on the budgeting committee!

Now you can cut all the funds.

The kids will be so happy

Nice to see you're proactive AB. You'd have been a good one to have on the board.

Give it another shot.

Now you can cut all the funds.

The kids will be so happy

I wish somebody would cut your fucking fund you dip shit moron.

New Topics

Forum List

Back