what should be the penalitie for polluting?

Good grief.
People don't get life in jail for killing children. Honestly.

And most of the garbage in the ocean comes off of GARBAGE BARGES that we have shipping huge amounts of garbage all over the place, as environmentalists determined we could no longer have LANDFILLS or burn garbage in our own communities.

what should be the penalitie for polluting?

The guilty polluter would be sentenced to 500 hours of community service consisting solely of scraping gum from anything, anywhere but particularly from the underneath of tables, benches, chairs, movie seats, church pews, bus and train seats, anywhere else you can think of and oh, off of the bottom of my shoes.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Good grief.
People don't get life in jail for killing children. Honestly.

And most of the garbage in the ocean comes off of GARBAGE BARGES that we have shipping huge amounts of garbage all over the place, as environmentalists determined we could no longer have LANDFILLS or burn garbage in our own communities.

then thats the judge's / courts fault.

"What should be the penaltie for polluting?"

The same as not being able to spell penalty.

Electric chair. Naked.

In no way do I advocate littering. Not just because of environmental problems it cause but also because it's filthy to the eyes. Anyone that litters should be either heavily fined or sentenced to cleaning litter as a community service for a long period of time.

Hell, my car looks like a wreck at times due to my unwillingness to litter and my laziness stopping me from finding a trash can.

Killing them? You out yo mind my friend.

The Associated Press: Garbage in stomach of whale found in Seattle

a whale has died due to human laziness and greed. personally I think any person or business (meaning anyone in the business who okay'ed the idea) who intentionally pollutes the water should be sentenced to life in jail or death if it can be 100% proven

You've officially jumped the shark.:cuckoo:

what do you think is fair for hurting the environment and killing animals unecasarily? what should the punishment be if they went out with guns and killed the whale? its the same result and mindset

a whale has died due to human laziness and greed. personally I think any person or business (meaning anyone in the business who okay'ed the idea) who intentionally pollutes the water should be sentenced to life in jail or death if it can be 100% proven

You've officially jumped the shark.:cuckoo:

what do you think is fair for hurting the environment and killing animals unecasarily? what should the punishment be if they went out with guns and killed the whale? its the same result and mindset

Strip them down naked and cover them in honey.:lol:

I think an interesting question is who determines what pollution is?

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

It's possible to imbed each and every consumer product with a unique "tracer", i.e. identifying chemical element, in order to track it to the source producer. In this way it would be possible to assess a fine, but ultimately the consumer would pay the price.

First I went and followed your link.... Then I looked over the posts so far hoping and preying someone else would have bothered to read the article linked to... And to my surprise no one did from reading the posts...

So lets take care of that first..

Garbage in stomach of whale found in Seattle
(AP) – 1 hour ago
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Biologists who examined a gray whale that died after getting stranded on a West Seattle beach say it had a large amount of garbage in its stomach — ranging from a pair of sweat pants to a golf ball.
The scientists say most of the whale's stomach contents was algae — typical of the bottom-feeding mammals. But they say a surprising amount of human debris was found. Besides the pants and golf ball, there were more than 20 plastic bags, small towels, duct tape and surgical gloves.
The 37-foot whale beached itself last Wednesday.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

I bolded the important parts in that... First the whale didn't die of the garbage in its stomach. The fact is whales beach themselves and no one as of yet really knows why. There are theories on this and many hypothesis, but no real definite answers yet. All we know is for some reason some whales beach themselves and this usually results in the whales death.

And as the biologists just stated the whale died after beaching itself, they didn't say it was because of the garbage. And that is important if there is going to be any blaming anyone...

Second, you asked what the penalty should be for polluting in the OP and then it was asked what should be done to the polluter. Well then get ready for all of us to pay that penalty. Every single human being on the planet who has ever carelessly discarded any amount of trash or misplaced any item anywhere near an ocean is guilty.

look at what they found. Sweat pants, a golf ball, duct tape, surgical gloves? WTF? From that we can blame who exactly? All of us thats who. So lets all of us march on down to whoever is going to punish the guilty party and confess to this crime. Only a few billion are really responsible shouldn't take long.....

This the lunacy in it all. its everyone and therefore no one in our minds. Sure we see this and think for a day or two about recycling or being more careful what we do about garbage, but its usually just a short fix and then back to the old ways. Maybe there are some who make a lasting change in their habits but 80-90% go right on the same way all the while condemning "those polluters" in public.

Ever dropped a plastic bag and either forgot or didn't have time to pick it up? GUILTY!

Ever accidentally throw a piece of trash in a recycling can? GUILTY!

Ever throw away a aluminum can? GUILTY!

How about those dandy plastic six-pack rings? AW come on now, even when you were drunk and out hammering it back with some bros? Sure ya did.. GUILTY!

Got kids? So did you use cloth diapers and wash them using eco-friendly detergent? or did you buy the disposables? GUILTY!

You see thats the reality here. The fact the whale had this in his stomach was truly terrible. Did it kill the whale? Probably not, but does that make it okay? NO.

Every single one of us is responsible. And that is the problem. no one feels responsible because everyone does it. just like so many other problems we have today, this one stems from a lack of personal responsibility by the largest portion of this planet.

So whatever punishment you decide, make sure its one all of us can live with.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: blu

First I went and followed your link.... Then I looked over the posts so far hoping and preying someone else would have bothered to read the article linked to... And to my surprise no one did from reading the posts...

(AP) – 1 hour ago
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Biologists who examined a gray whale that died after getting stranded on a West Seattle beach say it had a large amount of garbage in its stomach — ranging from a pair of sweat pants to a golf ball.
The scientists say most of the whale's stomach contents was algae — typical of the bottom-feeding mammals. But they say a surprising amount of human debris was found. Besides the pants and golf ball, there were more than 20 plastic bags, small towels, duct tape and surgical gloves.

I bolded the important parts in that... First the whale didn't die of the garbage in its stomach. The fact is whales beach themselves and no one as of yet really knows why. There are theories on this and many hypothesis, but no real definite answers yet. All we know is for some reason some whales beach themselves and this usually results in the whales death.

And as the biologists just stated the whale died after beaching itself, they didn't say it was because of the garbage. And that is important if there is going to be any blaming anyone...

Second, you asked what the penalty should be for polluting in the OP and then it was asked what should be done to the polluter. Well then get ready for all of us to pay that penalty. Every single human being on the planet who has ever carelessly discarded any amount of trash or misplaced any item anywhere near an ocean is guilty.

look at what they found. Sweat pants, a golf ball, duct tape, surgical gloves? WTF? From that we can blame who exactly? All of us thats who. So lets all of us march on down to whoever is going to punish the guilty party and confess to this crime. Only a few billion are really responsible shouldn't take long.....

This the lunacy in it all. its everyone and therefore no one in our minds. Sure we see this and think for a day or two about recycling or being more careful what we do about garbage, but its usually just a short fix and then back to the old ways. Maybe there are some who make a lasting change in their habits but 80-90% go right on the same way all the while condemning "those polluters" in public.

Ever dropped a plastic bag and either forgot or didn't have time to pick it up? GUILTY!

How about those dandy plastic six-pack rings? AW come on now, even when you were drunk and out hammering it back with some bros? Sure ya did.. GUILTY!

Got kids? So did you use cloth diapers and wash them using eco-friendly detergent? or did you buy the disposables? GUILTY!

You see thats the reality here. The fact the whale had this in his stomach was truly terrible. Did it kill the whale? Probably not, but does that make it okay? NO.

Every single one of us is responsible. And that is the problem. no one feels responsible because everyone does it. just like so many other problems we have today, this one stems from a lack of personal responsibility by the largest portion of this planet.

so maybe the death penalty was a bit much? I agree the part of your post about people not being responsible and thats what should stop. I always have discovery, animal planet, green planet, etc on in the bakcground and almost all the animals they recover have issues from pollution. just last night they rescued an endagered turtle who almost died due to having swalloed a six pack ring.

(AP) – 1 hour ago

so maybe the death penalty was a bit much? I agree the part of your post about people not being responsible and thats what should stop. I always have discovery, animal planet, green planet, etc on in the bakcground and almost all the animals they recover have issues from pollution. just last night they rescued an endagered turtle who almost died due to having swalloed a six pack ring.

No now you misunderstood me...

I said "Every single one of us is responsible. And that is the problem. no one feels responsible because everyone does it."

and ...

"its everyone and therefore no one in our minds."

The point in it being, that as long as the largest portion of society is responsible, almost none of us actually feel personally responsible. Its one of the major ways we discard any feelings of shame or guilt over what we do. We rationalize it. We say "well I may have dropped that bag but its only one bag" or some other kind of nonsense so we don't have to face the fact we are the polluters we are disgusted over.

We do this all the time nowadays. And until we can learn and understand that change comes from each individual taking responsibility for his or herself on a personal level, we will continue to see this or another similar problem we cause. They can punish all they want, pass laws and legislation until we are buried under paper and it won't change anything but a few particulars concerning how, where, or when. We will still do this kind of thing we will just change it to suit the new legislation.

You cannot legislate personal responsibility, and you cannot dictate a sense of self as a part of the greater whole. Those things have to come from each individual person. And until each of us do this freely and of our own free will, we will remain polluters in some aspect or another.

Forum List

Back