Debate Now What should be the goal of our prison system?

What say you?

• Reformation

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Hard time

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
So as you all know I speak from a bit of experience but I see what I consider crazy posts on the subject all the time.

For those that don't know I was sentenced to 5 to 15 at the age of 16. I was all about ME and as a result all the group homes and foster homes couldn't save me. So let's get to the point...

There seem to be two different mindsets to felons and imo BOTH are wrong. Some say "throw away the key's " while others say "no bail"

Well i can speak somewhat to the no bail position. My grandmother bailed me out time after time and all it achieved what to deepen my boldness because i considered myself untouchable. She wasn't a bad woman, she just blindly loved me. Basically she played the role of a bleeding heart liberal with their no bail bullshit.
The flipside to that is the people that think simply locking people up and forgetting about them solves the problem.

Recividisom is a major problem in the prison population. You lock a man up and hold him in a hole for years. Then suddenly he gets his freedom and just like before he went in he has no tools to cope with society. He's kicked into a halfway house for 30 days and then suddenly, after years of being treated like a dog in a kennel, is expected to function in society. No one will hire him except the people who want the tax credits available to them. Those same employers abuse the employees under the threat of "reporting them"

Imo every convict that isn't convicted of violent crimes should be offered basic educational classes and should be REQUIRED to finish a trade school vocation before being eligible for release.
When I was in prison vocational education was an option and not required. I took it to get the fuck out of my cell and that was the only reason. That vocation that i used for a sense of freedom is likely the only reason i am free today.

We have to "arm" convicts with the skills to succeed. Or we can simply lock them up and hope to God they dont become our or our children's neighbors when they get out.

/blog

My first attempt at a not troll debate in this forum.
I read that I'm supposed to make three rules but I have no idea what that means?
No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Yeah, I like those three rules.....GO!
Simply to protect the public from thugs at the lowest cost possible.

Agreed.

I agree with everything you posted in your opening to your thread. I believe there should be a mix of reformation and hard time, depending of course, on the severity of the crime(s) the person has been incarcerated for.

The question...will we ever get that in our prison system?

The goal should be to equip these people with the tools they need to function in society.

Lock picks and bolt cutters

felony-theft-threshold-Florida-Tampa-Lawyer.jpg

So as you all know I speak from a bit of experience but I see what I consider crazy posts on the subject all the time.

For those that don't know I was sentenced to 5 to 15 at the age of 16. I was all about ME and as a result all the group homes and foster homes couldn't save me. So let's get to the point...

There seem to be two different mindsets to felons and imo BOTH are wrong. Some say "throw away the key's " while others say "no bail"

Well i can speak somewhat to the no bail position. My grandmother bailed me out time after time and all it achieved what to deepen my boldness because i considered myself untouchable. She wasn't a bad woman, she just blindly loved me. Basically she played the role of a bleeding heart liberal with their no bail bullshit.
The flipside to that is the people that think simply locking people up and forgetting about them solves the problem.

Recividisom is a major problem in the prison population. You lock a man up and hold him in a hole for years. Then suddenly he gets his freedom and just like before he went in he has no tools to cope with society. He's kicked into a halfway house for 30 days and then suddenly, after years of being treated like a dog in a kennel, is expected to function in society. No one will hire him except the people who want the tax credits available to them. Those same employers abuse the employees under the threat of "reporting them"

Imo every convict that isn't convicted of violent crimes should be offered basic educational classes and should be REQUIRED to finish a trade school vocation before being eligible for release.
When I was in prison vocational education was an option and not required. I took it to get the fuck out of my cell and that was the only reason. That vocation that i used for a sense of freedom is likely the only reason i am free today.

We have to "arm" convicts with the skills to succeed. Or we can simply lock them up and hope to God they dont become our or our children's neighbors when they get out.

/blog

I read that I'm supposed to make three rules but I have no idea what that means?
No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

It should be putting the real criminals behind bars which is the majority of politicians from both parties,they have committed more crimes against humanity than most the prisoners on death row:mad:

/blog

No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Good post.

The goal should be to equip these people with the tools they need to function in society.

Our prison system currently is not equipped to do that.

Sadly I don't know the whoops answer.

Education should certainly be a part, not just "readin' writin' and 'rithmatic" but social education and coping skills as well. A trade is a necessity as well. They also could use job placement and a support network.

Obviously all.of them can't be rehabilitated. Serial killers shouldn't be released for instance.

My ¢.02.
Imo, there’s no answer. The system doesn’t allow deter to work. Some are there for three squares. Some for a roof. They do crimes they are comfortable handling time for.

Again, not exactly what I had in mind.

A skill or trade to make an honest loving, and coping mechanisms to help him or her keep the job
Some that works for. But not the majority. Get rid of plantations and let’s start actually educating

Last edited:

/blog

No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Good post.

Our prison system currently is not equipped to do that.

Sadly I don't know the whoops answer.

Education should certainly be a part, not just "readin' writin' and 'rithmatic" but social education and coping skills as well. A trade is a necessity as well. They also could use job placement and a support network.

Obviously all.of them can't be rehabilitated. Serial killers shouldn't be released for instance.

My ¢.02.
Imo, there’s no answer. The system doesn’t allow deter to work. Some are there for three squares. Some for a roof. They do crimes they are comfortable handling time for.
There are indeed some there on purpose. They don't want to be free. I talked with a few that had that mindset and thought it was crazy. But I do think they are a small minority and a result of becoming instutionalized.

/blog

No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Penitentiary is derived from penitent.

penitent
[ˈpenətnt]

ADJECTIVE
penitent (adjective)
  1. feeling or showing sorrow and regret for having done wrong; repentant.
    "a penitent expression"
    synonyms:
    repentant · contrite · regretful · remorseful · sorry · apologetic · conscience-stricken · rueful · ashamed · shamefaced · abject
    antonyms:
    impenitent · unrepentant
NOUN
penitent (noun) · penitents (plural noun)
  1. a person who repents their sins or wrongdoings and (in the Christian Church) seeks forgiveness from God

There are indeed some there on purpose. They don't want to be free. I talked with a few that had that mindset and thought it was crazy. But I do think they are a small minority and a result of becoming instutionalized
There are others who have been in so long social skills are gone. The world changed. Adapting is close to impossible.

There are indeed some there on purpose. They don't want to be free. I talked with a few that had that mindset and thought it was crazy. But I do think they are a small minority and a result of becoming instutionalized
There are others who have been in so long social skills are gone. The world changed. Adapting is close to impossible.
Thats what I ment by instutionalized.

There’s a lot of skills. For example I know someone who works at a prison showing prisoners how to work the dairy Farm the prison has.

There’s a lot of skills. For example I know someone who works at a prison showing prisoners how to work the dairy Farm the prison has.
All well and good, but is it practical when they get out?

I’d rather see them learn what’s not yours is not yours.

Maybe a mix of hard time and reformation would be the best.
Prison goals should be: remove dangerous people from society and try to change their behaviour (using education and work)
Unfortunately sometimes these goals are out of reach because some people can't be reformed in any way :(

Forum List

Back