What role(s) do doctors play in executions in the U.S.?

Doctors are involved in executions?
I think I know where you're going with this.

You're gonna' say they can't perform executions because they're not supposed to do any harm to the patient right? Well I really wouldn't say that a death row inmate is a "patient" so that wouldn't apply.

• Banned
Hmmmm ... so the original Hippocratic Oath said, "I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, ..." but they took that out for the modern version so it's okay for modern doctors to intentionally cause cessation of life. Cessation of the life of a healthy human body which is not threatening the life of any other body.

This is mind-numbingly sick. I'm getting dizzy from the thought of it. Revulsion. That's hideous.

Last edited:
Doctors are involved in executions?
I think I know where you're going with this.

You're gonna' say they can't perform executions because they're not supposed to do any harm to the patient right? Well I really wouldn't say that a death row inmate is a "patient" so that wouldn't apply.

Of course they are a patient. And the Hippocratic Oath is not a legally binding document. If a physician is retained by the state to administer lethal doses of drugs for execution they may have violated the "Hippocratic Corpus", but then again, so has anyone that hasn't sworn to Apollo or who ever did gallbladder surgery.

Hmmmm ... so the original Hippocratic Oath said, "I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, ..." but they took that out for the modern version so it's okay for modern doctors to intentionally cause cessation of life. Cessation of the life of a healthy human body which is not threatening the life of any other body.

This is mind-numbingly sick. I'm getting dizzy from the thought of it. Revulsion. That's hideous.

The original Hippocratic Oath also required that people swear to Apollo and Aescalpius, forbade doing any surgery, forbad anyone to "teach medicine" to anyone outside the Hippocratic guild, and forbade having sex with the male slaves of your patients.

It was revised because it's over 1500 frigging years old. You can see how there might be some relevancy issues involved with modern medicine. Furthermore, the Hippocratic Oath is "non-binding". It's not a legal document or obligation. It's basically "feel good" window dressing for medical ceremonies. If I do a appendectomy, Apollo will not, in fact, strike me down from Mt. Olympus.

No medical student or physicians is obligated to swear to the Hippocratic Oath and many schools no longer use it, to include the revision. If you are a Jehoviah's Witness, it violates your religion to be forced to swear to an Oath.

I am not even religious and I am not terribly thrilled about the prospect of swearing to Greek Gods.

You guys make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy to much out of the Hippocratic Oath.

• Banned

The original Hippocratic Oath also required that people swear to Apollo and Aescalpius, forbade doing any surgery, forbad anyone to "teach medicine" to anyone outside the Hippocratic guild, and forbade having sex with the male slaves of your patients.

It was revised because it's over 1500 frigging years old. You can see how there might be some relevancy issues involved with modern medicine. Furthermore, the Hippocratic Oath is "non-binding". It's not a legal document or obligation. It's basically "feel good" window dressing for medical ceremonies. If I do a appendectomy, Apollo will not, in fact, strike me down from Mt. Olympus.

No medical student or physicians is obligated to swear to the Hippocratic Oath and many schools no longer use it, to include the revision. If you are a Jehoviah's Witness, it violates your religion to be forced to swear to an Oath.

I am not even religious and I am not terribly thrilled about the prospect of swearing to Greek Gods.

It's not about the Hippocratic Oath. That adds a dimension to the discussion but it's not about some specific set of words. It transcends words.

Whether there was an oath or not, it's sick and disgusting that doctors would use their skill to terminate a human life which was not anywhere near ending on its own and was not threatening another human life.

It's homicide.

It's not about the Hippocratic Oath. That adds a dimension to the discussion but it's not about some specific set of words. It transcends words.

Whether there was an oath or not, it's sick and disgusting that doctors would use their skill to terminate a human life which was not anywhere near ending on its own and was not threatening another human life.

It's homicide.
Yep. I don't know how anyone can do it.

It's homicide.

No it's not

hom·i·cide Noun/ˈhäməˌsīd/1. The deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder.

It's homicide.

No it's not

hom·i·cide Noun/ˈhäməˌsīd/1. The deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder.

That is one definition.

Here is another: Homicide is a killing of one human being by another.

Here is another: Homicide. (n) Homicide is the unnatural ending of the life of a person by an act or omission of another person or persons knowingly or otherwise.

Doctors taking part in executions are committing and/or facilitating homicide.

Last edited:

It's homicide.

If you want to gripe about the death penalty, then fine. I am game. I am not a huge fan of that draconian piece of justice.

The fact is, though, it is the current law of the land and not apt to change anytime soon. Since we have figured out that the must humane way to do something inhumane is through drugs, it would make sense that physicians would be involved with the process somehow.

Not all states require that physicians administer the medications, but most states require a physician be present to pronounce the patient dead.

Here is an article you would find interesting:

Group to censure physicians who play role in lethal injections

Forum List

Back