What One Food Is A Holiday Tradition In Your House?

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.
Peanut Butter Fudge, chocolate Covered Cherries and Coconut balls.

but that Potato candy brought back memories!:)

Have you tried chocolate rum balls? I make those some years when I have extra cooking time.

Potato candy?
There was a picture of potato candy in one of the first posts. It consists of a mashed potato, powdered sugar. The filling in the roll is peanut butter.. Never made it.

My specialty is Chocolate covered Cherries, Coconut balls and Maple fillings. Learned long ago fro our favorite Ice Cream and Candy store. The secret to creamy fillings is 6 weeks wait time for them to be creamy or juicy.

Discovered an easy Peanut butter fudge recipe.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Boil 3 full minutes,( a must).
Add one jar Marshmallow cream
1 cup Peanut butter.
Dash Vanilla
Beat until begins to thicken.
Pour into 8 by 8 parchment lined pan.

Cool, cut, enjoy!

A cheesy sauce maybe? :dunno: ...

This particular photo is b roll from bing... Mom's did have a sauce on top of it and if I recall it had cheese, mustard and horseradish, I think...

Oooh, that sounds good. I love horseradish.
My Son makes horseradish out of his garden.

Oh, when I can move into a place with a yard, I want to have a garden to grow my own herbs and veggies. Tomatoes and carrots, for example, taste completely different fresh than they do from the store.

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.
Peanut Butter Fudge, chocolate Covered Cherries and Coconut balls.

but that Potato candy brought back memories!:)

Have you tried chocolate rum balls? I make those some years when I have extra cooking time.

Potato candy?
There was a picture of potato candy in one of the first posts. It consists of a mashed potato, powdered sugar. The filling in the roll is peanut butter.. Never made it.

My specialty is Chocolate covered Cherries, Coconut balls and Maple fillings. Learned long ago fro our favorite Ice Cream and Candy store. The secret to creamy fillings is 6 weeks wait time for them to be creamy or juicy.

Discovered an easy Peanut butter fudge recipe.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Boil 3 full minutes,( a must).
Add one jar Marshmallow cream
1 cup Peanut butter.
Dash Vanilla
Beat until begins to thicken.
Pour into 8 by 8 parchment lined pan.

Cool, cut, enjoy!

Huh. I did not see the potato candy.

Chocolate rum balls have to be made ahead and allowed to age for a while, too. It mellows out the rum flavor and lets it fuse with the chocolate and nuts.

This particular photo is b roll from bing... Mom's did have a sauce on top of it and if I recall it had cheese, mustard and horseradish, I think...

Oh, when I can move into a place with a yard, I want to have a garden to grow my own herbs and veggies. Tomatoes and carrots, for example, taste completely different fresh than they do from the store.

I always had a garden. Of course my Grandpa and Dad had a farm. They sold it but my Dad could grow anything.. Me,I was mediocre. Except for tomatoes.

I asked my Son if he would plant me some Arugula! He planted the whole package. Arugula every where.:)

I always had a garden. Of course my Grandpa and Dad had a farm. They sold it but my Dad could grow anything.. Me,I was mediocre. Except for tomatoes.

I asked my Son if he would plant me some Arugula! He planted the whole package. Arugula every where.:)

Living in Arizona, proper dirt to grow in is hard to come by. You have to either go through a lengthy process of testing, aeration, and adding nutrients about a year before you can plant anything, or you can build raised beds filled with potting soil, which can be pricey. On the upside, it's not hard to find a spot that gets sufficient daily sunshine.

I think it will be worth it. Tomatoes, for example, not only taste better from the garden, but then I have the ability to make fried green tomatoes. And fresh herbs can be expensive.

Last edited:
Home made cookies.

There you go. Homemade cookies at any time of year are ALWAYS better, in my opinion.

Are you big on the shaped and decorated sugar cookies, or gingerbread cookies, or is there a different type that's your favorite?

Sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, almond crescents, snickerdoodles, and a chocolate cookie with powder sugar atop were my favorites. All but the almond crescents were best dunked in milk or coffee and Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti with coffee is a great breakfast.

I always liked potato candy.

How-to-make-Potato-Candy-1-of-1-8.jpg
That looks delicious

That looks delicious

Mike, do you know the recipe?

Depression era. This one calls for coconut. That would make it better.

My Mother made perfect Seafoam. Her favorite.

Home made cookies.

There you go. Homemade cookies at any time of year are ALWAYS better, in my opinion.

Are you big on the shaped and decorated sugar cookies, or gingerbread cookies, or is there a different type that's your favorite?

Sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, almond crescents, snickerdoodles, and a chocolate cookie with powder sugar atop were my favorites. All but the almond crescents were best dunked in milk or coffee and Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti with coffee is a great breakfast.

H'ray for snickerdoodles! My personal favorite cookie. I've never been a fan of super-sickly-sweet baked goods; I've always preferred rich to sweet on desserts. Homemade snickerdoodles, with that little bite from the cream of tartar, are a perfect example. It can also be fun to substitute red or green colored sugar for the white sugar in the cinnamon-sugar combo you roll them in.

I never got the whole biscotti thing until I got my hands on a quality, fresh-made biscotti to dunk in my coffee. It was pretty great. Cheap or stale biscotti really are just burnt cookies.

That looks delicious

Meringues and things similar to meringues are also something I never "got" until the first time I had it homemade by a cook with some skill (it was actually me, in fact). Store-bought and restaurant meringue was always indistinguishable from styrofoam, in my never-humble opinion. Homemade, though . . . you could possibly see God while eating it.

That looks delicious

Meringues and things similar to meringues are also something I never "got" until the first time I had it homemade by a cook with some skill (it was actually me, in fact). Store-bought and restaurant meringue was always indistinguishable from styrofoam, in my never-humble opinion. Homemade, though . . . you could possibly see God while eating it.
I do agree.:)

Forum List

Back