What Obamacare Really Means

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Sent to me:

"I'm a 54 year old consulting engineer and make between $60,000 and $125,000 per year, depending on how hard I work and whether or not there are work projects out there for me.

My girlfriend is 61 and makes about $18,000 per year, working as a part-time mail clerk.
For me, making $60,000 a year, under ObamaCare, the cheapest, lowest grade policy I can buy, which also happens to impose a $5,000 deductible, costs $482 per month.

For my girlfriend, the same exact policy, same deductible, costs $1 per month. That's right, $1 per month. I'm not making this up.

Don't believe me? Just go to www.coveredca.gov, the ObamaCare website for California and enter the parameters I've mentioned above and see for yourself. By the way, my zip code is 93940. You'll need to enter that.

So OK, clearly ObamaCare is a scheme that involves putting the cost burden of healthcare onto the middle and upper-income wage earners. But there's a lot more to it. Now consider this:

If I want to upgrade my policy to a low-deductible premium policy, such as what I had with my last employer, my cost is $886 per month. But my girlfriend can upgrade her policy to the very same level, for just $4 per month. That's right, $4 per month. $48 per year for a zero-deductible, premium healthcare policy - the kind of thing you get when you work at IBM (except of course, IBM employees pay an average of $170 per month out of pocket for their coverage).

It's bad enough that I will be forced to subsidize the ObamaCare scheme in the first place. But even if I agreed with the basic scheme, which of course I do not, I would *never* agree to subsidize premium policies. If I have to pay $482 a month for a budget policy, I sure as hell do not want the guy I'm subsidizing to get a better policy, for less that 1% of what I have to fork out each month for a low-end policy.

Why must I pay $482 per month for something the other guy gets for a dollar? And why should the other guy get to buy an $886 policy for $4 a month? Think about this: I have to pay $10,632 a year for the same thing that the other guy can get for $48. $10,000 of net income is 60 days of full time work *as an engineer*. $48 is something I could pay for collecting aluminum cans and plastic bottles, one day a month.

Are you starting to get an idea what ObamaCare is really about? ObamaCare is not about dealing with inequities in the healthcare system. That's just the cover story. The real story is that it is a massive, political power grab. Do you think anyone who can insure himself with a premium policy for $4 a month will vote for anyone but the political party that provides him such a deal?

ObamaCare is about enabling, subsidizing, and expanding the Left's political power base, at taxpayer expense. Why would I vote for anyone but a Democrat if I can have health insurance for $4 a month? For that matter, why would I go to college or strive for a better job or income if it means I have to pay real money for healthcare coverage? Heck, why study engineering when I can be a schlub for $20K per year and buy a new F-150 with all the money I'm saving?

ObamaCare: It's all about political power."

And if US foreign policy didn't allow off-shoring and business visas and illegals, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
In fact, O wouldn't be president.

Your girlfriend is barely above the federal poverty level.

Health care is unlikely to be the only part of our social safety net for which she qualifies.

Just out of curiosity, do you express to her how upset you are that she gets health care?

Health care is unlikely to be the only part of our social safety net for which she qualifies.

Just out of curiosity, do you express to her how upset you are that she gets health care?

She would get health care regardless. The discussion is health insurance.

Can't wait to see this thing collapse under it's own weight.
All this is doing is dividing the nation. The idea that obammy thinks this wont breed resentment among those of us who work for a living is ridiculous.
I for one dont give a rats ass about people who refuse to better themselves.
If they have a legit reason for needing gov funded healthcare thats one thing,but I refuse to feel sorry for some loser who thinks MickyD's is a career choice. FUCK EM!! Let em die.

The vote buying left needs to be stopped at ALL costs,and I mean all costs,or this country is FUCKED!!

Ask not what your country can do for you......Indeed.

Last edited:

On that salary she can not afford today's health care prices.

It's true that the ER will treat her, but the ER will also bill her - at prices she certainly can't afford if she can't afford insurance.

So, no, she wasn't going to be getting health care.

It's true that the ER will treat her, but the ER will also bill her - at prices she certainly can't afford if she can't afford insurance.

She'll get healthcare but she'll go broke getting it. Just like the poor bastards who have to pay her way.
Typical lib plan. Make everyone equally poor regardless of how hard you work.
Yeah...thats fair.:cuckoo:

She'll get healthcare but she'll go broke getting it. Just like the poor bastards who have to pay her way.
You're living in the greatest nation on God's green earth and you think you're a "poor bastard" because this woman gets health care?

You're living in the greatest nation on God's green earth and you think you're a "poor bastard" because this woman gets health care?

You mean health insurance

No, actually I mean health care.

On her salary, paying as you go isn't a tenable solution.

I know people in her bracket. Their solution is "no health care", because they can't afford it.

No, actually I mean health care.

On her salary, paying as you go isn't a tenable solution.

I know people in her bracket. Their solution is "no health care", because they can't afford it.

And of course she'll be able to afford the $5K deductible? Probably not. So she defaults on that, making my rates even higher till the next time she defaults on a deductible payment when my rates go up again.

And what good is this doing if she doesn't have a BRAND NEW CAR and four weeks paid holiday, free college education and a 72" Television.

How did we become the greatest nation on gods green earth again

Oh, I remember! Working hard so you could improve yourself?

Nah, that's so yesterday

Yes she will and can file for hardship. This really isn't difficult.

If I have to pay for her healthcare? Yep. I'll hide every penny I've got and suck the gov tit just like you before I'm going to allow myself to get screwed by a bunch of fucken libs.
What gives anyone the right to steal from me because someone else is a lazy fuck who refuses to work hard? I'm telling you right now I will not let it happen.
If she doesnt care enough about her own healthcare,why the hell should I give a shit what happens to her?:eusa_boohoo:

Yes she will and can file for hardship. This really isn't difficult.
I'm not so sure that's cheaper for you.

Frankly, Obamacare isn't my first love, either. The result is multiple systems, a hodgepodge of plans, people all over America trying to figure out what to do and which forms to fill out, which insurance companies to pay how much money, guesses as to how many times they might need a doctor(!), etc., etc.

If I'm in ANY other country, what I do is go to the doctor and get my health attended to. Period. And, we know from Medicare that the government has lower management fees than do these insurance companies.

Forum List

Back