What News Outlets Do You Rely On?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
I try to read the NY Times every week and the local paper (Cleveland Plain Dealer), which isn't terrible, daily or so. I used to try and read the Washington Post and Chicago Tribune regularly, but I admit, I haven't been doing so. I have Health Care Law news fatigue, I think.

I wander around the various television news shows. ABC, NBC and CBS are all too short and too superficial to satisfy. PBS/Jim Lehner is okay but not especially "listenable". I admit it, like everyone else, I want my news to be a (at least a little) entertaining. BBC American is too long, too boring and broadcast at times I'm not especially interested in the news....like 4am.

CNBC and MSNBC both seem okay. FOX seems more like a place to hear opinion on what happened, not news itself. I have to admit though, FOX does do pieces on stories I rarely hear about anywhere else -- like the rise in crime in Mexico, etc. Over and over, for basic news coverage I keep coming back to CNN.

I don't regularly read any special interest web site or paper, though I will go look occasionally. If the story is exciting enough I usually look to see what mainstream outlets are saying.

What outlets are you relying on? Do you think they are handling stories fairly? I was a little annoyed at CNN after the Haitian earthquake because some of the reporting seemed more like guilt-mongering. Personally I don't like to see reporters "involved in a story" and advocating for a certain solution. I miss Walter Chronkite and the days when "watching the news" was over in an hour, with time out for commercials. These days it seems like 3 or 4 hours a day is not enough.

I listen to President Obama and do and believe everything he tells me... because I want to be a good little Democrat.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, that was very, very hard to type.

Immie

But seriously? I have the same dislike of the network "World News". The world in half an hour? Can't be done. I do like BBC America, they have the best actual world coverage and surprisingly little spin considering what you get on the talking head hack networks.

I occasionally catch a little bit of Morning Joe, otherwise I don't watch MSNBC. Same with FOX. And I'm really disappointed in CNN, instead of staying above the fray they seem to be lowering themselves to the hack networks' tactics. C-Span is a must if there's something going on in Congress I'm interested in of course. And otherwise I tend to surf.

The best news outlets are the ones who provide sources for what they report. The left will claim those who watch fox news and listen to talk radio are misinformed. Talk radio provides the best sources for the facts they report and the current events they discuss. What makes a reliable news outliet is one that sites their sources so you can research them for yourself, rather than simply taking someones word for it.

I learn all my news from internet message boards

For news, I generally prefer the Headline News format and that generally means...yes, you got it... CNN Headline News. They get so much less time to editorialize that it is somewhat refreshing.

Tampa Bay has a similar format on Bright House Network called BayNews9. That is what I watch for my local news. The problem is that they do weather on the nines... yes, that means every 10 minutes. Well, if you live in hurricane country you can understand how important that is when there is a hurricane on the way, but doggone it during the rest of the year... Florida weather just doesn't change that much every 10 frigging minutes.

Oh, and by the way... when a hurricane IS coming they switch to weather 24/7 so what the hell?

Immie

Fox, MSNBC,, I love watching tweety spit and drool, madcow and oldmotmuchofaman are too funny,, and mr. ed is going to blow a gasket some day,, and then c-span.. when I hear of a story that is in a particular city or state I usually go to the newspaper that serves that city..

but for knowing what the loons on the left are thinking, doing saying and instigating you cannot beat the obie wan messiah station with tweety and co.

I cannot abide to watch the local news on tv. Every time I do I get a case of the shakes...I'm still not used to living in such a big city with all its problems. Reading the paper is bad enough...Cleveland is undergoing a criminal probe of county politics that makes Chicago/Miami/you name it look good.

I'm a bit surprised folks are so enthusiastic about BBC America. Maybe I'll listen to it again. How sad that reliable, unbiased reporting on US news must be sought from a foreign outlet huh? It isn't reassuring that others share my declining view of CNN. I'll never have the patience to watch C-Span. I can't even sit through an hour of Court TV, and crime is usually exciting.

Talk Radio is way too weird and densely populated for me to bother even trying to find a program I like. If I had a long commute in a car I might, but not at home.

I used to read Newsweek almost every week and find I hardly even see an issue a year anymore. I still kinda like The New Yorker, but not as a news outlet. I haven't seen an edition of Ms Magazine in twenty years, and don't miss it. (Sorry Gloria.)

Where do you get your financial news? Besides the Almighty Wall Street Journal, do you follow anyone's tv show etc.? I never miss The Suze Orman Show (CNBC, Saturday evenings, 9pm and midnight EST) but I'm not sure that counts. It isn't like she's going to explain the Goldman Sachs fraud to me....but I love her advice and no-nonsense manner.

I turn on Morning Joe while getting ready for work in the morning (though I don't really listen that closely). Typically read the Times, Politico (shutter), WaPo. While they're not news sources, I do enjoy reading Ezra Klein and Matthew Ygelsias's commentaries.

Patriot Radio News Hour They pointed out everything that was going wrong with the Bush Administration, Congress, Federal Reserve & Wall street years ago, and now they do the same with Obama & the somewhat new Congress. They have called most things right on. They read all the news wires, papers & watch news channels so you don't have to spend all day sifting through to see if you missed some little thing that MSM did not tell you about. They are funny & give insight no-one else does.

Yahoo News from AP & When I can I watch CNBC Squawk Box, Bloomberg, C-Span, CNN, Fox, Glen Beck, O'Riley, Oblaberman, MadCow, Mathews

Last edited:

Forum List

Back