What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

Take Rolling Stones off your list. Girls liked the Beatles, boys liked the Stones. I had their 8 track tape-best ever. Its easier to list under rated performers.
They did have half a dozen really good songs, but a whole lot of crap in between.
More than a half dozen-the 8 track had 16 number one songs. They did a lot of crap in later years. Look at the commercials with their songs-start me up, red door, get off a my cloud, no satisfaction, gimme shelter, brown sugar, jumpin jack flash, under my thumb, time is on my side, the devil is my name, ruby tuesday-you get the idea.

Take Rolling Stones off your list. Girls liked the Beatles, boys liked the Stones. I had their 8 track tape-best ever. Its easier to list under rated performers.
They did have half a dozen really good songs, but a whole lot of crap in between.
More than a half dozen-the 8 track had 16 number one songs. They did a lot of crap in later years. Look at the commercials with their songs-start me up, red door, get off a my cloud, no satisfaction, gimme shelter, brown sugar, jumpin jack flash, under my thumb, time is on my side, the devil is my name, ruby tuesday-you get the idea.

Gimme Shelter is probably their greatest all around work.

Gimme Shelter is probably their greatest all around work.
I liked Paint it Black, 19th Nervous breakdown and Mother's Little Helper.

First of all, rap and death metal are not music in my opinion so I don't even count those. Country, I really am not familiar enough with to say. So just from my own experience, having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I could think of more than a few, but here goes. These are my top 5 overrated musicians and bands. ( no offense anyone.... to each their own ) Feel free to contribute anything you want... I must have hurt a few feelings with this list;
1) Neil Young (good song writer, bad singer and terrible lead guitar player)
2) Rolling Stones ( 2 good albums but not worthy of super-stardom)
3) Mötley Crüe ( Van Halen wannabes wearing Kiss makeup )
4) George Thorogood ( the least bad to the bone guitarist I've ever seen)
5) Bruce Springsteen ( fun guy to have a beer with I'm sure, but "The Boss"?
give me a break.....Boss of what, looking cool holding a guitar ? )

I stop at Neil Young. He is top 5 of all time in everything.

Stones are good, great guitar player.. Thorogood is a fantastic entertainer.

Over-rated? Boston? Doobie Bros? Stuff like that. Plenty of MSM pushed lightweights out there.

I'm going with Elvis. His music is derivative and his hype was mostly marketing.
Again, go to Vegas and listen-impact. Funny though, his biggest competition in the fifties was from Pat Boone-the guy selling relief factor on TV now. He may have been over rated.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls please take a :chillpill:... Music like so many other things in life is subjective... Our Madison Avenue culture influences the masses to the point that some folks don't have a clue to what they like or dislike...

James Gang Rocks :rock:

joe walsh seems to me video - Bing video

Granted there is music I don't care for but, I will not talk stink about folks who write and play music... It would be like spilling your guts to the whole world...

Last edited:
Red hot chili peppers and anybody who does that awful crappy Christian music.

Forum List

Back