What makes police think they are special?

The reality of life is someone is always going to be telling you how to do your job. This is true for the guy shaking the basket full of French Fries at the local Fast Food restaurant. It is true for everyone.

We have seen it here on these boards. We have seen it in the news. And I honestly have no idea where this arrogance comes from. It is incredible.

Pilots have people who tell them how to fly. They get check flights where an evaluator looks over their shoulder and critiques their performance. Somewhere today there is a surgeon with years of experience who has a superior looking over his shoulder to see how he is doing.

You can’t get away from it. None of us are immune. If something happens. An accident. Broken equipment. Whatever. Your boss comes and looks at it and decides if you did something wrong. Something they told you not to do.

I’m self employed. I do what I want. No you don’t. You have insurance. And the conditions of that policy limit what you can do. If you are driving as an Uber and your insurance finds out they can and will cancel your policy. If you tell them they will expect more money. And they will expect you to follow their rules about it.

What makes it wrong when we are talking about cops? The city, county, state, or country pays them. What makes it wrong for their bosses, the ones who pay them, to make rules and policies that they expect to be followed.

Let’s say I work for you. You tell me what to do and I do what I want instead. Are you going to keep paying me? No. You won’t. You are going to fire me so fast my ass will be halfway home before I understand what happened.

But people act like it should be different for cops. They are not volunteering their time. They are paid for it. It isn’t a waste of their time. It isn’t their time. When I am on the clock it isn’t my time. It is the time of my employer. My time and skill is what I am renting to the boss. He is paying me. It is his money and his time.

But here and in the news we get tons of arguments that the people paying the bills are insane to expect things from cops. As if we are lucky to be paying them. Blessed to have them agree to take our money.

Even the President of this nation has someone telling them how to do their job. It is called an election. And if we don’t approve we fire them.

If you are a cop and think it is outrageous that the people who pay you expect you to do the job the way they say. Quit. Show them all. Just quit. Stop taking the money. Go into a new line of work. Try driving trucks. Try anything you like. You will find that everywhere you go the person who pays you will expect the same thing. Welcome to the real world.

Otherwise. Shut the fuck up. I am not going to shed any tears because you arrogantly think that your shit doesn’t stink.
How simple the world must look through your eyes. Just follow "procedures" just do what you are told and everything will be dandy. Ok let's take an example. Let's say someone is driving with their lights off. Cop pulls up next to the driver and sees that he is Black. What does your "procedure" say to do? Let him go? You have just endangered everyone who has to share the road with him. Pull him over? You have just enraged people for pulling a man over for "driving while Black". Now let's say you pulled him over and he steps out of the car and reaches into his jacket. What do you do? Do you shoot him? Do you taze him? Do you wait to wait to see what he pulls out? Not so simple, is it?

Easy. You have unarmed traffic enforcement that simply notifies the person their lights aren't on. Or that one is burned out. You don't have armed goons looking for something minor to get into a confrontation over.
And that is what Law Enforcement is paying for now. A lot of checks have not been cashed. But it is a massive and uneven payback by those who feel they have been messed with for any reason. And even within their own ranks there may be issues.

When things swing too far in one direction the result is it swinging far in the other direction. Maybe we can find a middle at some point. It's going to require something we are not used to though.
Trouble is, none of the loudest voices are aiming for the middle.

As I noted, it's going to swing wide in the opposite direction. The quickest way to bring it back some is to note their issues and address them. The more you fight them the more they swing in the other direction.
I don't think they have any idea what kind of shitstorm they are going to get.

LOL, give it up. Changes are going to be made. They are changing all the time. You aren't going to do squat.
I'm not talking about me.
Changes are needed, police have been fucking up a lot of stuff but if you tear it all down, you're going to get some shit you really don't like.
Remember when we closed all the mental hospitals because of cases of abuse?
That sure didn't work out too well, did it?

Why didn't it work? Because we are lazy and left it at that. We know the issues today but we still refuse to discuss those issues.
I think there's a lot of disagreement about what the actual issues are.

Oh, I'm sure.
I think bad behavior is bad behavior, regardless of what color the people involved are.
Most of the loudest folks disagree.

Lying to a judge to get a warrant is bad behavior but there are still people mad that the officer was fired. There are also people mad that he has not been charged with perjury. If he can get away with breaking the law, all should.

The reality of life is someone is always going to be telling you how to do your job. This is true for the guy shaking the basket full of French Fries at the local Fast Food restaurant. It is true for everyone.

We have seen it here on these boards. We have seen it in the news. And I honestly have no idea where this arrogance comes from. It is incredible.

Pilots have people who tell them how to fly. They get check flights where an evaluator looks over their shoulder and critiques their performance. Somewhere today there is a surgeon with years of experience who has a superior looking over his shoulder to see how he is doing.

You can’t get away from it. None of us are immune. If something happens. An accident. Broken equipment. Whatever. Your boss comes and looks at it and decides if you did something wrong. Something they told you not to do.

I’m self employed. I do what I want. No you don’t. You have insurance. And the conditions of that policy limit what you can do. If you are driving as an Uber and your insurance finds out they can and will cancel your policy. If you tell them they will expect more money. And they will expect you to follow their rules about it.

What makes it wrong when we are talking about cops? The city, county, state, or country pays them. What makes it wrong for their bosses, the ones who pay them, to make rules and policies that they expect to be followed.

Let’s say I work for you. You tell me what to do and I do what I want instead. Are you going to keep paying me? No. You won’t. You are going to fire me so fast my ass will be halfway home before I understand what happened.

But people act like it should be different for cops. They are not volunteering their time. They are paid for it. It isn’t a waste of their time. It isn’t their time. When I am on the clock it isn’t my time. It is the time of my employer. My time and skill is what I am renting to the boss. He is paying me. It is his money and his time.

But here and in the news we get tons of arguments that the people paying the bills are insane to expect things from cops. As if we are lucky to be paying them. Blessed to have them agree to take our money.

Even the President of this nation has someone telling them how to do their job. It is called an election. And if we don’t approve we fire them.

If you are a cop and think it is outrageous that the people who pay you expect you to do the job the way they say. Quit. Show them all. Just quit. Stop taking the money. Go into a new line of work. Try driving trucks. Try anything you like. You will find that everywhere you go the person who pays you will expect the same thing. Welcome to the real world.

Otherwise. Shut the fuck up. I am not going to shed any tears because you arrogantly think that your shit doesn’t stink.
How simple the world must look through your eyes. Just follow "procedures" just do what you are told and everything will be dandy. Ok let's take an example. Let's say someone is driving with their lights off. Cop pulls up next to the driver and sees that he is Black. What does your "procedure" say to do? Let him go? You have just endangered everyone who has to share the road with him. Pull him over? You have just enraged people for pulling a man over for "driving while Black". Now let's say you pulled him over and he steps out of the car and reaches into his jacket. What do you do? Do you shoot him? Do you taze him? Do you wait to wait to see what he pulls out? Not so simple, is it?

Easy. You have unarmed traffic enforcement that simply notifies the person their lights aren't on. Or that one is burned out. You don't have armed goons looking for something minor to get into a confrontation over.
And that is what Law Enforcement is paying for now. A lot of checks have not been cashed. But it is a massive and uneven payback by those who feel they have been messed with for any reason. And even within their own ranks there may be issues.

When things swing too far in one direction the result is it swinging far in the other direction. Maybe we can find a middle at some point. It's going to require something we are not used to though.

As I noted, it's going to swing wide in the opposite direction. The quickest way to bring it back some is to note their issues and address them. The more you fight them the more they swing in the other direction.

LOL, give it up. Changes are going to be made. They are changing all the time. You aren't going to do squat.
Changes are needed, police have been fucking up a lot of stuff but if you tear it all down, you're going to get some shit you really don't like.

Why didn't it work? Because we are lazy and left it at that. We know the issues today but we still refuse to discuss those issues.

Oh, I'm sure.
I think bad behavior is bad behavior, regardless of what color the people involved are.

Lying to a judge to get a warrant is bad behavior but there are still people mad that the officer was fired. There are also people mad that he has not been charged with perjury. If he can get away with breaking the law, all should.
There is really no such thing as WROL, (without rule of law); someone is always going to take charge.

Oh, I'm sure.

There is really no such thing as WROL, (without rule of law); someone is always going to take charge.

No one is going to push back. Those who have can not beat those without.

Burn stuff down and people listen.

Oh, I'm sure.

(SMH)

What makes them special?

They get up every morning, kiss their spouses and kids goodbye, and put their lives on the line for your sorry a$$... pi$$ant.

We also give them the power of life and death over us in matters of law enforcement in dangerous settings.

We need to continue to extend to them the benefit of a doubt for each and every encounter that turns violent.

Otherwise, officers will resign in droves, and all we'll be left with are whatever street-trash scum that we can find to work for low wages.

Police do a marvelous job of keeping the savages and barbarians at-bay, and society at-large needs them to continue doing just that.

What makes them special? If you have to ask the question, you are unworthy of receiving an answer that you would not understand anyway.

Soldiers, Sailors, and others in the Military kiss their spouse goodbye for months at a time and put their asses on the line. Yet we expect the highest level of conduct from them. You never hear the excuse they have a tough job and we need to understand.

Moreover they do it for a lot less money. When I was a Sergeant in the Army, I had three married Soldiers under me. All three were on food stamps to help them afford to feed their families.

National Guardsmen sleep wherever they can and are served shit food. But fuck them. Cops are the real heroes. Or something.

More than twenty years pulling people over. Not one complaint. Not one. Ever.

Now is that the minimum standard we should expect? No. I am not that crazy. But that should be the standard we strive for. The perfection we don’t believe we will reach but are constantly striving for.

Let’s be reasonable. Chauvin had a lot of complaints. So let’s talk about how we can or should address those complaints. I’m not saying fire the guy. I believe people can be better. They can learn from mistakes.

But let’s say you get a complaint and it is true the cop acted poorly. Unprofessional in his behavior. You decide to council him and give him more training. He does it again. And again. What now?

The same people screaming that cops are human and we can’t expect perfection are the same ones who demand life sentences for minor crimes because that is the only way to stop criminals.

Think about that for a minute. See the hypocrisy yet?
All I see is you greatly over simplifying the extremely dangerous and unpredictable nature of a Cop's daily job. Could you do that job? You make it sound really easy so I am guessing you think you could. I know I couldn't do it. But then I actually know what Cops go through since I know guys who are or have been Cops. I don't just cherry pick videos.

I would not like to do what a cop does because I would hate to see all the victims they have to try to help.
But that does not mean cops have a particularly dangerous job.
It isn't.
The danger that does exist for cops is almost entirely just from traffic, not attacks on police.
In fact, it about right in the middle of all jobs as far as danger goes.

Tell that to the cop shot to death in NM on a routine traffic stop, or the 3 officers shot in GA doing the same. Then you have the other 100 that have died in the line of duty this year and it's only April.

Ok. 54 of those cops died from COVID. That is a majority of the cops who died. 16 of them died from gunfire. In other words shot.

So far. The greatest threat to our cops over the last year and this appears to be a little microscopic speck of virus. If you were determined to do all you could to protect cops and help as many survive as possible it seems you would be arguing for vaccinations and masks.

Six were struck by a vehicle and killed. An accident on the side of the road.

101 deaths so far. 16 were shot. Less than one in five deaths. Me thinks you are focused on the wrong thing.

First, show me where I've argued against vaccinations. Second you don't see anyone demanding hero pay for police officers. Third, more police officers have died at the end of a thugs barrel, than thugs by police. Yet who are you commies shedding tears for? BTW, I help protect police officers by making sure there's no reason to interact with them.

Actually about a thousand people a year are killed by police. But that isn’t the topic of this discussion. I am posting this link to help educate you out of your ignorant prejudices.

Personally. I object whenever the police shoot someone unarmed. I don’t care what color they are. It is the action that offends me. Not the race or any other factors.

Now, back to the main discussion. Why is it that police feel they should be exempt from their superiors dictating how they do the job?

You commies ignore there are more than 53 million interactions with police per year. And according to your numbers, blacks are about 14% of the fatal encounters, that's in line with their population numbers.
  • Whites (23%) were more likely than blacks (20%) or Hispanics (17%) to have contact with police.
  • Police were equally likely to initiate contact with blacks and whites (11% each) but were less likely to initiate contact with Hispanics (9%).

So to say that blacks are being targeted by police isn't supported by the facts.

And if a police officer has a problem with how they are told to do their job, the honorable thing to do is resign. I don't understand why you would have a problem with that. They are doing it all over the country when they aren't allowed to protect the communities they serve. So just take you commie bullshit and shove it.

Now is that the minimum standard we should expect? No. I am not that crazy. But that should be the standard we strive for. The perfection we don’t believe we will reach but are constantly striving for.

Let’s be reasonable. Chauvin had a lot of complaints. So let’s talk about how we can or should address those complaints. I’m not saying fire the guy. I believe people can be better. They can learn from mistakes.

But let’s say you get a complaint and it is true the cop acted poorly. Unprofessional in his behavior. You decide to council him and give him more training. He does it again. And again. What now?

The same people screaming that cops are human and we can’t expect perfection are the same ones who demand life sentences for minor crimes because that is the only way to stop criminals.

All I see is you greatly over simplifying the extremely dangerous and unpredictable nature of a Cop's daily job. Could you do that job? You make it sound really easy so I am guessing you think you could. I know I couldn't do it. But then I actually know what Cops go through since I know guys who are or have been Cops. I don't just cherry pick videos.

I would not like to do what a cop does because I would hate to see all the victims they have to try to help.
It isn't.
The danger that does exist for cops is almost entirely just from traffic, not attacks on police.

Tell that to the cop shot to death in NM on a routine traffic stop, or the 3 officers shot in GA doing the same. Then you have the other 100 that have died in the line of duty this year and it's only April.

Ok. 54 of those cops died from COVID. That is a majority of the cops who died. 16 of them died from gunfire. In other words shot.

So far. The greatest threat to our cops over the last year and this appears to be a little microscopic speck of virus. If you were determined to do all you could to protect cops and help as many survive as possible it seems you would be arguing for vaccinations and masks.

101 deaths so far. 16 were shot. Less than one in five deaths. Me thinks you are focused on the wrong thing.

First, show me where I've argued against vaccinations. Second you don't see anyone demanding hero pay for police officers. Third, more police officers have died at the end of a thugs barrel, than thugs by police. Yet who are you commies shedding tears for? BTW, I help protect police officers by making sure there's no reason to interact with them.

Actually about a thousand people a year are killed by police. But that isn’t the topic of this discussion. I am posting this link to help educate you out of your ignorant prejudices.

Personally. I object whenever the police shoot someone unarmed. I don’t care what color they are. It is the action that offends me. Not the race or any other factors.

Now, back to the main discussion. Why is it that police feel they should be exempt from their superiors dictating how they do the job?

You commies ignore there are more than 53 million interactions with police per year. And according to your numbers, blacks are about 14% of the fatal encounters, that's in line with their population numbers.
  • Whites (23%) were more likely than blacks (20%) or Hispanics (17%) to have contact with police.
  • Police were equally likely to initiate contact with blacks and whites (11% each) but were less likely to initiate contact with Hispanics (9%).

So to say that blacks are being targeted by police isn't supported by the facts.

And if a police officer has a problem with how they are told to do their job, the honorable thing to do is resign. I don't understand why you would have a problem with that. They are doing it all over the country when they aren't allowed to protect the communities they serve. So just take you commie bullshit and shove it.

The "commie" position would be an authoritarian police force.

What makes them special?

They get up every morning, kiss their spouses and kids goodbye, and put their lives on the line for your sorry a$$... pi$$ant.

We also give them the power of life and death over us in matters of law enforcement in dangerous settings.

We need to continue to extend to them the benefit of a doubt for each and every encounter that turns violent.

Otherwise, officers will resign in droves, and all we'll be left with are whatever street-trash scum that we can find to work for low wages.

Police do a marvelous job of keeping the savages and barbarians at-bay, and society at-large needs them to continue doing just that.

What makes them special? If you have to ask the question, you are unworthy of receiving an answer that you would not understand anyway.

Soldiers, Sailors, and others in the Military kiss their spouse goodbye for months at a time and put their asses on the line. Yet we expect the highest level of conduct from them. You never hear the excuse they have a tough job and we need to understand.

Moreover they do it for a lot less money. When I was a Sergeant in the Army, I had three married Soldiers under me. All three were on food stamps to help them afford to feed their families.

National Guardsmen sleep wherever they can and are served shit food. But fuck them. Cops are the real heroes. Or something.
If the military had their druthers, they would prefer men and women who are single. But we know that is not reality. The military for some can erase a lot of sins and give them an opportunity in the civilian world after they are discharged.

This is true for the guy shaking the basket full of French Fries at the local Fast Food restaurant.
The guy shaking the basket full of french fries doesn't have to worry about being tried for murder if he makes a mistake.

Tell that to the police officers that have been shot recently on traffic stops. You would be telling criminals with warrants that the officer is unarmed and a sitting duck. Stupid commies like you shouldn't be allowed in public.

Well, they do a job a pussy like you wouldn't touch. There is that.

Tell that to the police officers that have been shot recently on traffic stops. You would be telling criminals with warrants that the officer is unarmed and a sitting duck. Stupid commies like you shouldn't be allowed in public.

There is no reason to be a threat to someone that isn't a threat to you.

It isn't.

When a police officer gets shot no one is arguing that the person who did that should not be prosecuted. For years we argued that for police officers.

There are police officers getting charged today that would not have in the past. They would have lied and had what they did covered up.

Without video proof Michael Slager is still a police officer today. There are many who still believe his actions justified.

Timothy Loehman lied to get hired and there are people still fighting to get his job back for him. Even though he was deemed mentally unfit to be a police officer and lied to get the job there are still those who were willing to hire him.

Don't throw out names without links, they are meaningless.

But a recent example, the officer who shot Donte Wright, I don't think should be prosecuted. Wright escalated the situation to a use of force. He is responsible for the outcome.

It isn't.

When a police officer gets shot no one is arguing that the person who did that should not be prosecuted. For years we argued that for police officers.

There are police officers getting charged today that would not have in the past. They would have lied and had what they did covered up.

Without video proof Michael Slager is still a police officer today. There are many who still believe his actions justified.

Timothy Loehman lied to get hired and there are people still fighting to get his job back for him. Even though he was deemed mentally unfit to be a police officer and lied to get the job there are still those who were willing to hire him.

Don't throw out names without links, they are meaningless.

But a recent example, the officer who shot Donte Wright, I don't think should be prosecuted. Wright escalated the situation to a use of force. He is responsible for the outcome.

Someone after 26 years that did what she did had no business being an officer. If your incompetence leads to the death of someone, yes they should be charged.

They're Americans and they have been granted the right to kill black men with impunity.

I'm betting that that right is safe and the Chauvin verdict won't interfere with it one bit.

America is betting on the police to unequivically put down all attempts by black America that would allow black America to even come close to becoming equal citizens

Chauvin will walk and black men will die on the streets by cop bullet, in increasing numbers.

the point that failed to be made in the 60's on black people staying away from white only water fountains, is back in it's full American glory!

Enjoy! Biden and the Democratic party are threatening everything that is American and likely always will be.

Oh, I'm sure.

Burn stuff down you should be shot. The same with looting or attacking a police officer, shouldn't matter if you're black, white or purple. No discussion needed.

What makes them special?

They don't do it for me they do it for the government.

The police have no legal obligation to come to your aid if you call them so they really don't work for you.

"What makes police think they are special?" Ask anyone in the military, who on active duty, carried a weapon. It has a real influence on one's sense of perspective.

Forum List

Back