What Makes Good Stupid Comedy?

I never found Jim Carrey to be funny.
Austin Powers and The Fockers sucked.
Low IQ “humor”.
Meet the Parents was better than the Fockers.

But I would agree that comedies like Blazing Saddles was far funnier.

One of my favorites was Naked Gun.

It is interesting that women don't understand comedy like Monty Python or the Three Stooges. I think why is because guys understand that other guys are complete idiots like themselves, no matter how smart they appear to be.

But if they did understand, they would all be lesbians.

I say it is a fair trade off.

Meet the Parents was better than the Fockers.

But I would agree that comedies like Blazing Saddles was far funnier.

One of my favorites was Naked Gun.

It is interesting that women don't understand comedy like Monty Python or the Three Stooges. I think why is because guys understand that other guys are complete idiots like themselves, no matter how smart they appear to be.

But if they did understand, they would all be lesbians.

I say it is a fair trade off.
I don’t remember seeing MTP.

But it doesn’t answer the question of WHY it’s good.
It is the delivery by the person and the audience's reaction to it. Maybe because some find it funny because in their life they had or witnessed similar incidents and the laughter comes from their mind saying so I am not the only one who has done this. Like a food fight, those who were never in one will not find it funny but others who have will laugh at it.
The Three Stooges come to mind. In their bits, they were starting a new job and being inexperienced make a lot of mistakes. Those in the audience who have done stupid things in the first week of a new job will laugh because they can relate to it.

Good non stupid people like Brain Regan, Simbad, James Gregory who all tell clean jokes.

Those are good too.
But why are others unwatchable?
I'm not sure exactly what that "thing" is. I like the classic screwball comedies of the Golden Era. I like most British humor. Mel Brooks
comedies are genuinely funny. The wacky deadpan comedy of films like Airplane is great. I like the quirky, often dark humor of the Coen Brothers' movies, speaking of which. . . .

:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Chaplin is great!

I loved Get Smart. It was campy. Trying to be so serious all the time, just made it more funny.

I like different kinds of comedy. It depends on how it's carried out, how it's handled, and how it's used.

Van Wilder (Ryan Reynolds)
The Nerd movies
the Porkys Trilogy
Death Becomes Her
Rocky Horror
Clue
Serial Mom
Hairspray
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Barbarella
Sorority Boys
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

All camp comedy movies, but different genre's (except Van Wilder and Sorority Boys), and different levels of camp.
But I love them all.

You've got dark humor that is witty, but on the darker side of humor.

Beetlejuice
The Death of Stalin
The Addams Family
Knives Out
Fatman
Horns
Happy Time Murders

Then there's humor about life.

MASH
Dead Like Me
Grumpy Old Men
Tootsie
Muriels Wedding
Mrs. Doubtfire
Arthur
Baby Boom

And adult humor, slapstick humor, racist humor, religious humor, sexist humor...................

If it's done RIGHT, done with respect for the audience, and carried in such a way it makes fun of our lives in this country and on this planet.....then I like it.

I thought Gene Wilder was funny! One of his movies Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was pretty good.

Have You Ever Considered Maybe That You May Be Ignorant ?

Rob asks his Doc, " put it to me Doc, good news first ! "
Dr. Lil Johnny says. " I'll be right back Rob, my Nurse is needing me now !"

Forum List

Back