What kind of sci fi show would anger the red blooded reality show watching NFL loving people of suburban America?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
We had a show in the 1960s, 1980s, and 1990s that got people excited for space and the future. It was called "Star Trek" and it is still on but is now is really generic and tries to hard to be like "Mass Effect".

Our generation needs it's own Star Trek.

I have an idea that will enrage the red blooded reality show NFL watching people of suburban America!

A show set aboard a spaceship like the Galactica from "Battlestar Galactica" or space station like Babylon 5. The society on this spacecraft is based on modern American society but this society has no fear of vaccines and GMO food. There is sex education like in Europe and a lower drinking age. Teenagers are able to get astronaut training.

What would you think of that idea?

Would there still be a sports culture? Or would kids think astronaut stuff is cooler in such an environment? Or would there be more safer and high tech sports?

alcatraz_high___football_mechs_by_bobbyrubio_d21rl08-fullview.jpg

We had a show in the 1960s, 1980s, and 1990s that got people excited for space and the future. It was called "Star Trek" and it is still on but is now is really generic and tries to hard to be like "Mass Effect".

I have an idea that will enrage the red blooded reality show NFL watching people of suburban America!

A show set aboard a spaceship like the Galactica from "Battlestar Galactica" or space station like Babylon 5. The society on this spacecraft is based on modern American society but this society has no fear of vaccines and GMO food. There is sex education like in Europe and a lower drinking age. Teenagers are able to get astronaut training.

Would there still be a sports culture? Or would kids think astronaut stuff is cooler in such an environment? Or would there be more safer and high tech sports?

it would fail in the first term. Much like this Administration.

DId you want to say enrage, or engage? YOu talking about having them LIKE it, or HATE it?

People are not so optimistic anymore. It's why sci-fi is mostly a bunch of dismal combat dystopias these days. On nearly all of these it is implied that conservative types fucked up the world in some way.

People are not so optimistic anymore. It's why sci-fi is mostly a bunch of dismal combat dystopias these days. On nearly all of these it is implied that conservative types fucked up the world in some way.

While in reality it is lefties that leading the charge into decline and fall.

The shows usually depict an all too plausible scenario where society refused to effectively deal with some crisis or had a stupid war that consumed the world. That's conservatism all the way. I can't say what the future holds but if our society collapses it will be from dumbasses doing everything they can to avoid dealing with the problems of the future.

The shows usually depict an all too plausible scenario where society refused to effectively deal with some crisis or had a stupid war that consumed the world. That's conservatism all the way. I can't say what the future holds but if our society collapses it will be from dumbasses doing everything they can to avoid dealing with the problems of the future.

How is that War on Poverty working out. You winning anytime soon. Or does it just keep going ang growing, until it consumes the entire government budget and vast segments of society and buries just about anything and everything else we as a society might want to do.

Note the lack of any question marks. That was not an error.

LOL!!!!

How is that War on Poverty working out. You winning anytime soon. Or does it just keep going ang growing, until it consumes the entire government budget and vast segments of society and buries just about anything and everything else we as a society might want to do.

LOL!!!!
The sci fi scenarios where the poor are abandoned/enslaved while the rich live behind walls don't work out too well for anyone. It is a rule of human society that peace cannot be maintained when there are too many hungry people. Did you think the "war on poverty" was humanitarian? It was to find the minimum amount of expense to manitain order in a plutocracy.

LOL!!!!
The sci fi scenarios where the poor are abandoned/enslaved while the rich live behind walls don't work out too well for anyone. It is a rule of human society that peace cannot be maintained when there are too many hungry people. Did you think the "war on poverty" was humanitarian? It was to find the minimum amount of expense to manitain order in a plutocracy.

Not a bad pivot. I almost didn't notice that you failed to address my point.

Anyhow. I accept your running away from my point as an admission that you know my point was right.

We are in agreement. LIberals don't deal with problems. THey talk about them, they "address" them. THey use them to rile up the base and use them to throw money around, just accidentally creating voting blocs for themselves.

Conservatives want a prosperous and free and high energy future.

YOu libs seem to want a cross between Little House on the Prairie and Dark Angel.

LOL!!!!

Anyhow. I accept your running away from my point as an admission that you know my point was right.

We are in agreement. LIberals don't deal with problems. THey talk about them, they "address" them. THey use them to rile up the base and use them to throw money around, just accidentally creating voting blocs for themselves.

YOu libs seem to want a cross between Little House on the Prairie and Dark Angel.
Just staying on topic. Speculation about the future should include some plausible future outcome of whatever it is you think we ought to be doing.

LOL!!!!

Just staying on topic. Speculation about the future should include some plausible future outcome of whatever it is you think we ought to be doing.

Fair enough. My point on the way liberals don't solve problems stands.

A good sci fi show, imo, would need an underlying message that answers that, in order to engage the viewers.

LOL!!!!

A good sci fi show, imo, would need an underlying message that answers that, in order to engage the viewers.
Jesus said the poor will always be with us. Poverty is not something that can be solved, only managed. A plausible optimistic future scenario should deal with how we answer the age-old problem of resources not being equally spread around the world and opportunity not being equally spread through society. The answer is of course to make things more equal in some way.

LOL!!!!

Jesus said the poor will always be with us. Poverty is not something that can be solved, only managed. A plausible optimistic future scenario should deal with how we answer the age-old problem of resources not being equally spread around the world and opportunity not being equally spread through society. The answer is of course to make things more equal in some way.

I disagree. I think that if we had had rational and reasonable policies over the last 50 years, that "poverty" would be a very minor issue, barely worth discussing in our society today.

LOL!!!!

I disagree. I think that if we had had rational and reasonable policies over the last 50 years, that "poverty" would be a very minor issue, barely worth discussing in our society today.
What you think we should have done fifty years ago is irrelevant to the topic. If there is a route from what we have now to some shining utopian future where no one is poor it has to include some kind of massive redistribution of resources and wealth.

I suppose you never hear of Star Trek: Discovery, Picard, the animated series Star Trek: Lower Decks, or the upcoming series on Captain Pike?

Wow! I didn't think it was possible but that post is more vague than anything you usually post.

LOL!!!!

What you think we should have done fifty years ago is irrelevant to the topic. If there is a route from what we have now to some shining utopian future where no one is poor it has to include some kind of massive redistribution of resources and wealth.

Anyone that could post that sentence, without commenting on the constant flow of new poor people though massive Third World Immigration is just a liar.

Forum List

Back