What kind of paint should i use on a steel entry door that has old faded paint on it?

You guys aren't very helpful lol. I'm not painting a boat or dock and Rustoleum is a brand not a type
Well technically I think all their paint is oil based. That is what I used on mine. The hunter green one to be exact. Just make sure you prep the door first and sand down the spots where the old paint was chipped. If not, your color might get a little wonky in that spot but your paint will ened up chipping off in the same spot in a few years. Also make sure you can leave the door open until dried. Not being a condescending butthole, but I have known way too many people who shut wet doors only to have them stick, lose paint, or get the the paint all over the door frames.

If money is no object, use automotive primer, metallic flake epoxy base coat / clear coat epoxy.

If rusted & budget, use Rust Reformer, prime & paint enamel high gloss oil

Last edited:
Beats me, I ask Sherwin Williams, where I buy all my paint. I'm going there today to buy a couple gallons of Sierra Redwood to paint the garage floor.

I just used some fine sandpaper to remove oxidation, a tack cloth, and exterior latex. As mentioned make sure not to close it until it's well.dried.

Wanting to paint my front door but dunno what type of paint to use? Oil, enamel etc
Latex paints provide ease of application, fast drying times and they tend to hold up better in weather (fade resistance). Their rust protective qualities on metal are questionable.
Oil and enamel (oil based) are what experts recommend for steel applications. The drawbacks are drying times and oil based paint colors tend to fade faster.
Prep and using a high quality primer are the most important.
Here's some recommendations.

The 5 Best Paints For A Metal Door - The Creative Folk

Last edited:
Preparing the door for paint is what is important. Best to ask the folks at the local paint store what correct paint to use what is good in Florida may not be good elsewhere.

Well technically I think all their paint is oil based. That is what I used on mine. The hunter green one to be exact. Just make sure you prep the door first and sand down the spots where the old paint was chipped. If not, your color might get a little wonky in that spot but your paint will ened up chipping off in the same spot in a few years. Also make sure you can leave the door open until dried. Not being a condescending butthole, but I have known way too many people who shut wet doors only to have them stick, lose paint, or get the the paint all over the door frames.
I was going to remove the door. Bad idea?

Wanting to paint my front door but dunno what type of paint to use? Oil, enamel etc
Kilz Primer and an oil based enamel if looking for longevity and protection. Don't even think of a paint mixed with a primer just to save time and hassle of clean up.

I was going to remove the door. Bad idea?
Not a bad idea. Just seems like unnecessary work unless you are planning to use an electric sander on it. Just be aware also that if you put thick coats on the sides of the door, you door may stick/ not close well whichever way you do it. Some doors are tighter fits than people realize.

Excellent idea.
20210918_104940.jpg

Forum List

Back