What Kind of Guitar You Play?

R.C. Christian

Gold Member
Jun 30, 2010
Ghetto
I have an old Takamine 12 plus a very, very rare 1987 Strat Ultra, Jeff Beck Graffiti yellow, split nut, maple neck with the gold lace sensor pick ups which was given to me by a friend.

Various amps but my new toy is that Line 6 Spider IV Jam amp.

Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat Flamed Maple Top Tobacco Sunburst and Gibson CS 356 both with Ebony frets

IMG_0650.jpg

A couple of Ovation acoustics and other assorted

IMG_2026_edited-2.jpg

Ovation 2000 Collector

IMG_2027_edited-1.jpg

I use a Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb Guitar Amp for my Fender and a Mesa Boogie for my Gibson. For the Ovation I use a Fender Acoustasonic

On the electric side there's a Fender '57 Thin Skin Strat, a '61 Thin Skin Strat, and a '55 Thin Skin Tele through a Fender reverb unit and a '57 Deluxe or a '65 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Acoustically, there's my Martin 000-28.

07 Strat, Rickenbacker 330, Schecter C-1+, Ibanez Artcore, Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I like the Strat best.

That's because it's the best.

Leo got it right right out of the box.

Chinese copy of a Martin D-28, older Ibanez 12-string; cheap Yamaha classical. Also Martin Backpacker for compact travel.

Most of my life i played a black Fender Acoustic. I bought a Gibson hallow electric guitar to play when i had gigs but rarely use it now. I mainly use my Washburn Acoustic now.

I bought a Epiphone DR100 a week ago. I'm trying to teach myself to play.

So far I'm doing finger exercises and strumming chords to build up the calluses on my fingers.

I can play one song - Horse with no name.

Any tips? As a child I took accordion lessons and played keyboards in several bands in the late 60s.

!978 ovation acoustic round back
1969 Fender jaguar sunburst
1983 black 1983 Gibson SG special
1979 Fender Precision Bass, woodtone

So far I'm doing finger exercises and strumming chords to build up the calluses on my fingers.

Any tips? As a child I took accordion lessons and played keyboards in several bands in the late 60s.

Depends on how much patience you have. I always hated exercises that sounded like exercises myself, so I'd find a tune I really wanted to play (that was within reach) and it would maybe teach me a new chord or two. Then go on to more complex, and/or transpose to another key, and so on, so your repertoire of chords builds. Also take some time to learn the same chord in different positions (up the neck).

OTOH if you do have the patience, then exercise away. Do both.

Also depends on how you're playing -- strumming or fingerpicking...

Also don't be afraid to splurge on a pricier instrument; even if it doesn't work out and you lose interest you can sell it off without losing money, and if you keep it you'll have a better-sounding instrument that's easier to play and inspires you more.

Finally, FWIW I learned a lot about playing guitar from playing banjo.

Once you get down the road you may want to have a look at open tunings. I like 'em a lot. :thup:

Play on!

Last edited:

Depends on how much patience you have. I always hated exercises that sounded like exercises myself, so I'd find a tune I really wanted to play (that was within reach) and it would maybe teach me a new chord or two. Then go on to more complex, and/or transpose to another key, and so on, so your repertoire of chords builds. Also take some time to learn the same chord in different positions (up the neck).

Also don't be afraid to splurge on a pricier instrument; even if it doesn't work out and you lose interest you can sell it off without losing money, and if you keep it you'll have a better-sounding instrument that's easier to play and inspires you more.

Once you get down the road you may want to have a look at open tunings. I like 'em a lot. :thup:

Play on!

Thanks.

Is the DR-100 that bad of an instrument? I'll probably splurge on an electric.

Play on!

Thanks.

Is the DR-100 that bad of an instrument? I'll probably splurge on an electric.

Oh I don't know, but I looked it up and it was going for $99 so it doesn't get much lower -- I assume it's not great but stop in a guitar store and play around with the big boys and see how they feel.

Try different strings too. With my classical I've been using GHS, kinda like those, but with the bigger acoustic I swear by Elixirs. They cost a bit more but they stay in tune and damn, they're indestructible.

I can't speak for electrics, never got interested or tried 'em, but my buddy who does tells me I should get a cheap Squier (sp?) and it would serve whatever I'd wanna do. I think I'd put more money into acoustic than electric - it's got more tone and playing surface to deal with -- ergo more corners to cut in a lower grade instrument.

Last edited:
Mainly Warmoths Strat and Tele styles I build and my circa 1999 G&L S-500 1 11/16" neck with saddle lock bridge I customized with Lollar Blondes.

Forum List

Back